The Video 2.5@43

Klundell

• Baller
I am sure Nate would not have done the interview without his ski. Also pretty sure Dave would never have expected him too. I know Dave loves the sport and the idea of pushing the record almost no mater what ski. Thanks to Dave for putting that video out! Great driving Chad! Great skiing Nate, turn 3 at Diablo!

• Baller_
Nate...."I've had 38 looks at 43". ....Who is the next closest to that? To me that shows just how hard/impossible that 43 pass really is. 38 41s completed by him and how many others and 2 ball has been rounded and off to 3 only once. Wow!!! Nate ".....2 1/2 is a safe score" Safe really. There is more in the tank and he knows it.

• Baller
Dave Goode and Nate Smith are both class acts. The problem with Nates 38,39,41 is that unless you really understand the sport, they look too effortless to be exciting. His 32 & 35 look like Sunday strolls in the park. Crazy how smooth he skis

• Baller

I really notice on this video one thing that I've worked on. Nate doesn't "drop in" after the hook up. In my early years in this sport I got in a habit of dropping away from the boat at the hook up. On PP, that's fine, the boat doesn't kill you for it. On ZO it doesn't work at all!!!

This year Chet had me working on being taller and more on top of the ski approaching the ball, but I was still sometimes screwing up my harder passes by "dropping in" afterwards at the hook up. Recently I've really focused on staying up so that my body position/angle to the water going into the ball is the same body position/angle to the water at the hook up -- muoy bueno! Nate is the best at that!

• Baller

Nate is just so efficient. KLP was telling us this weekend that a good turn is defined by whether or not it puts you in a position to accelerate efficiently at the finish. Nate is ALWAYS ready to accelerate, even at 41 off.

@Stevie Boy and @ozski Considering he's only been on a Quest for a season, there's no way it's close to the most 41's on a ski. Also, you're not even sure that's a Quest. The Radar guys were on the vapor which still looked like a Strada long before the vapor came out. Same with the top HO guys. Willy was on an A3 that looked like an A2 long before the A3 came out. I'd never recommend buying because of what someone else is riding, but buying because you tried something and it fit your skiing style.

• Baller
I'm sure with any ski, no two off the line are prefectly alike in flex. Frustrating for those who can't have the opportunity to try 200 flex patterns before selecting the one that fits best. In general when a new ski takes a new approach to design (width, steps, rails, diff rocker, etc.), the impact that change can be pretty consistent from ski to ski. The flex (and fin settings) can be the variable that makes one ski feel better than another. All this makes it hard for average folk to predict that ski "X" will work for them based upon other skiers' reviews on the exact same make/model. Ride before you buy has to be the new norm for investing in new skis. Also, consider that you might need to think about trying two of the same model ski if you are that intense with your selection/purchase...