Radar extend triangle handle - my experience

Waternut

• Baller

So I finally tried this handle. I have to say that it's nothing like what the picture actually shows. I've actually been using it like an elliptical handle with the pointy end in front but I realized today that you could run the flat in forward too. Anyone run it flat side in front?

Using it pointy end in front, it feels like a fat elliptical handle so I was a little worried at first because I usually can't grip big handles. That worry was quickly dispelled and I had no issues holding on and my grip never felt weak. I also noticed after two sets, my hands looked and felt like I hadn't skied at all. I think the flat sides helps protect my palms from rubbing so much. Usually, I'm picking at dead skin after 2-3 sets but not with this thing. One guy forgot his handle and used mine instead. His comments were the same at first... It's really big, I don't think I can hang on. After 2-3 passes, his comments changed to, "this thing is awesome!". The third guy tried it based on our experience. After a pass with loads of slack, he asked if the handle had velcro on it because he wouldn't have been able to hold onto that slack with his handle. He also liked that this handle didn't pinch his fingers.

I do have some complaints/concerns. First is, the foam padding for your fingers doesn't last. A friends lasted 3-4 sets before coming off and mine lasted about the same. Next the paint starts flaking pretty quickly from flex so it worries me that the actually handle will outlast the bridle which kinda defeats the whole point....other than it's the only handle with a triangle grip. Last concern is potential damage to the ski on a handle pop. I was extremely lucky that the handle hit the metal reflex plate and countersunk washer. If the handle hits the ski directly with that point, I think it would really mess up the ski!

• Baller
There was a handle made by ARS back in 2000 (acquired by HO?) that was triangle like that. It was my favorite handle as I don't use gloves. I could loop the turn with 2 fingers like there was VELCRO...but I loaned it out one day a summer when I was not skiing much and never saw it again. I would not use the handle above with hard ends as I really like my skis the way they look with out to many scars and the new composite skis are so subject to failing if the composite structure is damaged by such an item. My.02$

• Baller

@OB I ski on my feet mostly but I quit using gloves in 1986 when I skied with a guy from Clemson who did not where gloves so I gave it a try. Calusus build quickly and I work with my hands so they are pretty tough. I don't go run 3 sets a day either.....

• Baller
I use that handle with eliptical bar. I am on my second bar, but other than that the foam padding has held up and mine has gray plastic that is not painted so no flaking paint. I do worry though about if I pop the handle and it hits my ski. I am sure if/when that happens, there will be carnage....love that handle so taking the risk. OF

• Baller
I'm with @OB - that is too much junk to have as a projectile and would destroy my ski. Don't think I would want to be driving for a skier using it either. Just had a lil handle smack the other day driving for a ski buddy - but glad it wasn't that contraption hitting me.

• Baller
looks like an easy fix to me just buy some heavy duty heat shrink tubing thats just barely big enough to get over the end pieces then slide it down to cover the dangerous end and part of the side rope. use the kind of tubing that has adhesive inside so it will stay where you put it and dont use so much heat you damage the rope. now that end cant hit the ski cuz it just goes where the rest of the rope goes

I'm on my third handle. The first one (yellow) broke on the plastic part...could have ended much worse for the skier. Second, the rope started to frey quite badly where the rope ends come together and form a Y. The third handle I only let my wife use, as it is her favorite handle. I now use a masterline custom, but really really miss the feel of the Extend.

• Baller
I did notice that the rope appears to be spliced back up near the handle. When I had my handle pop, I looked at the handle and noticed what appeared to be 5-10 frayed strands that run towards the plastic. I inspected it very closely but all the strands are running in the same direction and I can't find the other ends. I plan to keep my eye on it but I don't think they are broken strands.

@oldjeep. Yes, the ropes were sleeved just like they are brand new. I started seeing some frayed rope sticking out where the three sleeves come together. After I really pushed the sleeved around to expose the rope I saw that there was not much rope left holding together.

I absolutely love this handle, just have a hard time replacing it this often.

• Baller
So I come around the 1 ball @ 35 off and load up and POW I am in the water with a handle inmy hands and no rope. I have less than a season on this handle but the rope had chaffed inside the casing and could not see. Not good. If you have one of these handles cut the casing off so you can see what is happening or quit using it. This could have gone much worse.....OF

• Baller
In the little research I've done comparing spectra to nylon, I've discovered that it is much lighter, absorbs far less water (making it even lighter), is much more UV resistant, and is far less apt to fray or shear. I'm afraid Officer Friendly's debacle was a function of design and not a failure of material.

• Baller
I will be getting another one of these handles - but I'll be giving a good look at the USGear handles too. I loved how the handle fit in my hands and had a great grip with the triangle bar. The platic end piece is what broke on my original one - but I want to go back. Anyone else make great handles?