CNC props for older Malibu boats

bigtallweed

I have a 1994 Malibu Euro f3 and was wondering if anyone has had success with upgrading to a newer cnc 3 or 4 blade prop to soften the 15/22 off wake or reduce the rooster tail on this hull? The 28 off wake and shorter are great and 15/22 off are better than the Sportser I also ski behind but not as good as the 98 tsc1. The current prop is the factory 3 blade.

• Baller

I don't notice either one really. 34 mph for the most part, 32 early in the year or for a warm up. If I had to give the edge, the Nautique is a little better, but some of that is the feel of the pull.

I like them both really. Not much difference to me.

I have a great prop for your Malibu. It's a 3 blade Acme that I had Acme take down the diameter to 12.3 from 13 inch diameter to make the wake better at 22 off. Acme also balance the prop so it is super smoothhhhhhhhh. 12.5 x 12 pitch. $300. plus shipping. Call if you are interested.

970-390-7595

• Baller_
I installed a 3 blade Acme on an Echelon and it works very well. The Echelon does not have the roost but it did reduce the bump there & softened it over the CVP stainless prop. What is the unit currently on the boat?

@ DW It has the factory bronze 3 blade. It does have a slight bend in one of the blade tips ( boat came that way). The 15/22 wake is not bad and have had compliments from others who have skied behind it but if new prop technology would make a noticeable softer or smaller wake I would change. Would you say your wake improvement was significant or subtle?

• Baller_
Not dramatic but noticeable. Important note, my change was from a stainless prop to a nibral CNC prop so the material change made most of the difference. The hull shape certainly has a major influence on the wake specifics so you might try some minor tweaks on it, such as additional hook and make sure as much stuff is out of the rear as possible (remove rear seat, keep fuel level low, etc.)

Y@DW the back seat is never in and I have a max of 6 imperial gallons in the tank. I have heard of a hook being added to a the death star but not any other hull types. As I said the wake very skiable but rather than straighten the prop I would go new if it would improve the long line wake by a very noticeable amount. It seems that not many ballers have had or do have a Malibu Euro f3 or Skier and tried different new props?

• Baller_

@fu_man: different levels of cavitation or frothing of the water will alter the softness of the wake table. Also a different profile prop blade will change the thrust wake from the prop itself.

@btw: those boats were not created in an era of numerous prop options, so probably little data available. Maybe you can find somebody that basically did the promo thing with one of those boats and they would have some tips. Actually, the Malibu SV23 hull has had the hook changed over the years.

@btw & PS: an easy way is to take some bondo spreaders and tape them to the hull bottom with shrinkwrap tape. Easy to remove if you don't like it. Other method(s) include bondo or even fiberglass.

@PS: did you have a Goode 9700 for sale on SIA?

• Baller_
@PS: how serious do you want to be with that boat? I have a similar craft and drastically improved the wake but it does take some effort. Not cheap, but much cheaper than a new boat, swap out many of the cast iron engine parts for aluminum: cylinder heads, exhaust manifolds, intake manifold & if adventurous, swap out the tstat housing for a lighter one. That will get you 250#.

• Baller
@DW probably have this boat for another few years until the family and budget are ready to upgrade. Part of my issue is The weight. I have the Pres. Edition with The 454 big block. Great HP and EFI but adds weight to the boat. Not sure if replacing parts would be enough to be worth it. If I try the hook do I put it on the center section, outside 2 sections, or all three?