Radar Vapor mid review video and new fin settings

Horton

• Administrators

I have been skiing on the Radar Vapor for a few weeks now. I have liked the ski but it has not been amazing (until today- keep reading). I ran within one ball of my tournament BP a week ago so the ski clearly works but it was doing some things I did not like.

I had been running settings at or around:

Slot .777

Head .775

29 15/16

With these settings the ski is very fast, makes space and turns hard but off side turns were awkward on my hardest passes. There was a feeling that there was too much ski was in the water when I had to push. If I had pro skier skills (I do not) I would never push the ski that hard all at once and the ski would be MONEY.

On the hardest pass that I always run (35 off) I had managed a few times to get in the zone and the ski felt magic but when I get to the pass that I rarely make (38 off ) those off side turns were always a problem. The above settings had once or twice given me 35s that felt like 32s but I was never going to get past 1 at 39. It was good but not truly great.

So I dig through my Rolodex and contact Rossi. He gives me fin setting more like: 2.475 /6.885/ 0.765. It was like a whole different ski. Below are the first three passes I took with these settings(32/35/35). These numbers may be too aggressive for some skiers but for me this is simply bitch’n.

What sucks is that I did not film the second set with these settings. I was finding my groove with the settings. It took me a few tries but I ran by far the best 38 of my life. Never before have I been early to 6 ball at 38.

• Baller
I normally read all of the ski reviews that you do but I probably haven't followed a ski quite as closely as I have been with the Vapor so I may be missing/picking up on different things. Is it normal for you to go through so many fin/boot changes during a test to be happy with the ski? It's hard to tell if the ski is just insanely sensitive to changes and rider input or whether you're running deeper than normal and trying to compensate to get it perfect.

• Baller
Wow, that's my first thought. After struggling to come back from a broken ankle, this ski makes the lightbulb turn on! Just like Rossi said in the promo video, this ski creates space. It's fast, it's easy to ride, turns from just about any body position, and I love the way the vapor comes off the wake and sets up the turn. It comes back underneath you so easily. Our water cools down really quick up here, many skis ski different in diff temps. The vapor just rips in any temp and makes skiing fun again! After trying a bunch of skis this year, I only wish I had this ski sooner! Running stock Eddie/Rossi settings(2.480), 195lbs, 68", power shells with rear cuff trimmed down. Nice job Radar!!

• Administrators

@Waternut

On some skis the stock settings work for me and for others they do not. I do not think the Vapor is especially setup critical. All the current high end skis critical.

As my average practice score has gone up so has the need for a more fine tuned set up.

• Baller
I just got off my vapor, WOW! I sensed a different ski (than my strada) under me on the gate pull out. It took me 3 passes to feel the ski out. The gate turn in is different like Hortons been talking about. I feel it turns easier and takes the angle and goes, where as the strada you had to work a bit to get under you. I had a slight feeling of the A1 when skiing the vapor. The vapor is faster, easier to ski on and turns better than the A1 but the stability felt like the A series to me. I came off a 13 strada and I think the Vapor turns much easier- pulling back to the centerline faster and with less work. The tip seems to stay down easier than the strada. I think the ski is slightly faster by carring more speed through the turn. The vapor establishes more angle to me than the strada out of the turn. Overall I love the way the vapor rides, I think its a big improvment from the strada. I think the vapor video was spot on with the characteristics of the ski. I rode a 66" with stock settings.

• Baller_
It took the past month to get settled in on the new ski, but the Green Vapor knocked down a 38 at Diablo last week, and again at Warman on Saturday, David Miller made the comment, and I quote, "you ran that without even really turning the ski 6 times", which was a nice way of saying that my ski made up for quite a few mistakes on the purple loop pass, now if I could just get somewhere on the -39 loop, instead of just one and done.....

• Baller
I went to Warman last weekend with a previous tournament PB of 2.5 @ 35 off. Got on the Vapor just 3 weeks ago and rode the Vapor to a new tournament PB of 2 @ 38 off and I was in the pass, just didn't get back to the handle. Look out next season Ballers, I think I will get a 38.

• Baller
@Horton - I see from your setting that you're at nearly 30" to the front binding. The recommended distance is 29 1/2; can you tell me what made you go forward? I tried a Vapor last night with stock Rini settings (29 1/2, 2.480, 6.870, and .750) it was terrific on the offside, but didn't want to finish on the onside. I plan to give your settings a try eventually, just wondered if moving the boots forward might be a first step?

@rq0013 I've had 5 sets on my 66 vapor. My fin is set at Rini's settings, but I've settled on 29.5 for the front boot instead of 29.25. My pb is 4 @ 32off (34mph). I ran 3@32 on my first attempt at 32off with the vapor. I've found my 28off pass is more consistent and if I get in trouble I can make up time and still run the pass. I've run some 28's that I would have never made on my old ski (67 strada). Granted I've gone to a sorter ski which helps, but I've found the vapor gets tremendous angle and is more forgiving than the strada.

@markchilcutt 5'9" 175lb. I've always felt the 67 was too big, but I also knew there were a lot of form issues I needed to work on. As my form has improved, I started realizing how much body input was required to get the 67 to turn. I tried a 66 strada and was amazed at how responsive it was compared to my 67. I originally bought the 67 a couple of years ago because of the Radar sizing chart.

@markchilcutt I have no regrets. If I'm late and fast into the buoy, I can throw the ski out there and it will turn and come back under me...that's true of the 66 strada I tried and the 66 vapor I'm currently on. I was never able to do that on the 67.

• Baller
Thanks @ChadW. I skied yesterday on the stock settings and ran my first attempt at -32/36mph as well. 22s and 28s were so easy. Mistakes are easily fixed and the ski gets you back in the pass is what I felt too. When they say the ski creates space, it really does for me. Ive never been so early and wide before at 28 and 32. Why did you move the binding forward?

I felt like a train wreck at 29.25 (tip rise, wheelies, etc). My 2nd set I moved them up 1/8th and the ski felt better to me, more stable and predictable. My 3rd set I moved them up another 1/8th to 29.5 and the ski felt even better. My 4th set I moved them up another 1/8th to 29.625 but it felt too far forward, the tip really grabbed in the turns.

Rossi's latest numbers for the 67 listed above are fantastic! 55 degree water in a drysuit today and I skied out of my mind on the vapor today! Today my offside felt as good ig not better than my onside! @35 off all 3 tries today I had the tightest cleanest 1&3 ball ever! -32 today was to easy. Way to go radar this ski is the real deal!

@ Horton thanks for the 29 15/16 for the front foot.vapor is very fantastic,if you have time test this fin setting,it permits me to run the smoother 39 i have ever run and take 2.5@41.

.775, 6.87 , 2.478 , 8.5 wing.