65 or 66 Quest

MrB

@bishop8950 I weigh 145, right at the 65/66 mark. On the Fusion I am a 65. I am not a short line skier. I ski 32 mph, 15 and 22 off. The D3 skis match my style better. I am also 65 yrs old and can't handle the speed or hook up of some of the other skis.

• Baller
I agree with @bishop8950 to try both if you have the ability to demo both. However, I would guess that a 66 would work best for you. I'm 155 lbs and have gone back and forth between 65 and 66 D3 models in the past several years. I decided on a 66 Quest this year and was very happy with the results. I think the longer ski will give you more stability and a bigger "sweet spot" to ride on the ski. Typically the only issue with going with a longer ski is getting it to turn. I found the Quest to be a very smooth and can be a quick turning ski even at the longer length. I just run my fin a bit shallower than normal on a longer ski and I get the added stability while maintaining fast turns. I don't think Nate weighs all that much and I think he's on a 67.

• Baller
When I spoke with D3, they did mention that they could work with you to try multiple skis at the same time. There are always costs involved. Shipping is about $30 $35 1-way per ski. Demo fees are $70 $0 for 2 weeks per ski. If you buy one of the skis, that ski's shipping is comp-ed and no rental fee is assessed. Thus, I assume you'd still pay 2-way shipping on the ski you decide to send back plus the $70 rental fee... So, like $130 $70. Knowing that you are spending $1399 on the right ski is worth it in my opinion.

• Baller

Hey, I want to correct what I wrote above... There is no demo fee with D3 factory direct. If you decide not to buy, you simply are charged the round-trip shipping which they have standardized to $70. They will ship up to 2 skis, so you could request two sizes of the same ski, but often people are trying the same size of two models (Quest vs. Fusion for example).

http://www.d3skis.com/category-s/65.htm

Just call them:

(916) 714-9389

8 AM–5 PM PST