Have you been unfaithful? It's anonymous....

Wish

• Baller
I'm just a single guy so no wife to lie to. If nothing serious is going on at work, I might knock off a little early to make sure the boat and everything is ready to go for those who may not be able to get off early/on time. Especially this time of year when it gets dark earlier, I feel it really helps to make sure the boat has gas, the lake is inspected, no buoys are blown out, and everyone's gear is in the boat.

• Baller_

She knows exactly when I'm skiing and the time commitment is frequently a source of discussion. But, it is always in the open and she usually deals with it or realizes it keeps me sane. However, there may have been a ski purchase or other equipment expense that has gone unreported. Even those are rare, but have happened. The ski budget is discussed as well, but we seem to get through it.

Probably the most deceptive I have been was buying a truck and subsequently buying a boat a few months later. She never saw that one coming, though I had it all mapped out. She warmed up to it and, as I replaced/upgraded each boat, insisted on open bow and family-friendly to provide more return on investment. We do spend a lot of time on the water outside of regular course skiing and the family has enjoyed the boat. The Malibu RLX has been a great boat that kept the open bow while providing a fantastic slalom wake.

Side note: I also bought a new car one Saturday morning when I originally went in for a tune-up. But, in my defense, I got 30% off and we drove it for 12 years.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
Don't try to sneak ski rides by the wife as she is supportive, but I have had a few very long lunches to get a set in. We have a sign-out sheet at work since a lot of us are out in the field for work, so I just put "site visit" or if trying to be somewhat less deceptive about it, "ride", but then most coworkers think "oh he's taking a bike ride for exercise". I would never put "ski ride" or "water skiing" or "ski lake" on the sign-out sheet, because no one would understand and I don't want to have to explain the whole deal. The lunch time ski ride is pretty rare these days though because instead I try to come in early, then leave a bit early to grab the kids and take them out after school/work. Used to do the sneaky lunch ride fairly regularly.

• Baller_
@ShaneH, I also block out known ski times on my work calendar, such as league night and early departure times for some weeknight tournaments. And, if I have some other weeknight practice opportunities, I'll block that time as soon as I know. They sometimes catch on, like when the boat is in the parking lot at work.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

I might know a guy who works a very early shift and he will often hit the lake on a daily basis, supposedly without the better half knowing what is going on. Apparently it does get difficult for him to explain how he sprained his ankle while sitting at his desk.

I've had a couple of instances where I didn't volunteer that I had been to the lake that day, but I quickly figured out the downside was way worse than just being up front about what I was doing.

• Baller
My wife and I are a team in this. She generally foots first, then I hit the course. We do however, fight for the early mornings when one of us needs to stay back before the kids wake up. She generally defers to me. Who has two thumbs and is grateful? this guy

• Baller
I'm truly am one of the lucky ones. My wife only gets mad because due to her schedule she can't ski as much as I can. She has also improved her driving skills to the point I no longer worry and can concentrate on my skiing. Double bonus!

• Baller

@onside135 She also says I spend too much time on BOS. We seem to get along though for the most part. She likes to play cards and gamble with her friends so when she brings up my stuff I remind her that I don't say anything about here activities.

The ex-wife skied with me and was a pretty good slalom skier, but outside of skiing we seem to have had some major issues and just couldn't seem to get along. So you folks that have both someone to ski with and you get along well are really lucky.