Garage Size

paul

• Baller

Hi - I was hoping to get some input on an overhead door size for a new boat. Our garage is currently 20X30' with a 10' wide X 9' tall door. This is barely wide enough for our 02 PS 190. We are looking to go to a larger door - probably 14' wide X 9' tall. We could possibly go to a 10' high door.

Any comments? If we went 10' high could we get in with a bimini or mini tower still up?

Thx

• Baller
To add onto what @shaneh said, the height of your hitch will play into things as well. The lower the hitch, the lower the windshield will be when it enters through the door. Other things to consider will be if you back down a hill into your garage or back up a hill into the garage. Most houses don't have the hill issue but if you do, it may not be as simple as taking a tape measure and verifying proper clearance. Regardless of height a single car door will require a very careful eye and backing skills. Make sure your boat is thinking thin thoughts...

• Baller
Isn't 102" the legal limit on trailer width? I put a 10 foot door in my garage and have plenty of room. Still only 7 foot high, and bimini has to come down, but I never keep that up when towing, so not a big deal to me.

• Baller
You're set then as you could easily push it in by hand if you absolutely had to or just having a bad day of backing. I'm splitting hairs here but remember a 10 ft door does not mean a 10 ft opening. The opening is always a little smaller especially if you have decorative molding. 8.5 ft wide trailer leaves 9 inches on either side of a 10 ft opening. Subtract at least an inch on each side for door overlap and at least another inch for decorative molding and you're down to 5-6 inches of clearance on each side if you're perfectly centered and not angled.