Elevator Speech - Video

Oldutskier

I have had several people ask about what slalom course skiing is all about. Since a picture/video is worth a thousand words, can someone direct me to a well produced youtube video that mildly explains and demonstrates what competitive slalom is all about? There may not be something out there, but I figured if there was, this brain trust would know about it.

• Baller_
That would be nice to have stored on my phone for quick access. Like the idea. I think a slowmo overhead shot would be the best. Then go at normal speed from a different angles. I've seen a few slowmo but they never seem to complete the course before the scene changes.

• Baller
There are many web pages with written explanations... From those a voice-over script could be formulated. Then we need someone with video skills to put together the footage to support the script. Sounds like a fun project. Should be able to cover all three traditional events in under 1.5 minutes... Be crisp, keep it simple, let visuals handle the details.

• Baller
I recently used the new Prostar commercial with all 3 events. It is well produced and the engine rev sounds cool. Most of my colleagues have no idea what skiing is about, so a few seconds of cool video do the job. None of them have followed up with technical questions.

• Baller_
Hows this. What I seem to want to show immediately to the curious is that arial shot in slowmo to get the perspective of entering and heading through the gates (cant really see them from any other angles) and then around all 6 and out the gates. Slowmo will give me time to talk it through to them. Line shortenings, speeds, what the skier goes through and so on. No need to have a narrator. Then..... BAM, hit it from every angle at full speed with all the spray, hits, leans, grunts, reaches, crazy looking short lines, women, men, with quick short snippets of it all. Have a great sound track that ramps way up when the slowmo is over and play it straight though to the end. Could do the exact same thing for trick and jump. My 2cents.

• Baller

Since the topic was elevator speech to me that means short/impactful and inspires a call to action. My apologizes if this has been seen before - but video example of a kid that never ran a course before and a couple of years later (with a gopro).

Get up on 2, then 1 - free ski 1, turn buoys mini course shorten rope / adjust speed, start full - wash and repeat.

I am aware of some very cool helicopter video of Marcus Brown and others- filmed in '07 I believe- some of it was used in one of Marcus' videos. Has good overheads, side by sides etc. Belongs to Marcus- maybe ask him for permission to use some?