Obrien Conquer 2014

ThePantsManCan

• Baller

Anybody have any experience on the new Obrien Conquer for 2014? How does it compare to the 2013? Is Obrien even making enough skis to be a viable player any more? I had a very good experience with Obrien warranty in the past, and I promised that when I bought something new, I would give Obrien a good hard look before I made any decision... I'd like to honor that.

Comments?

so I've currently got a Quattro, and have got hold of a Conquer.

having looked on the website the factory settings are similar.

Binding: 28.875 Fin 6.730/2.500/0.730 - Conquer (settings I rode on)

Binding: 29.25 Fin 6.730/2.505/0.765 - Quattro

My current ski is:

Binding: 29.3/8 -?? Fin 6.836/2.508/0.733.5

ive tested the Conquer and it feels better out the buoy, but so very similar i suspect the settings are the difference?.

other than RTM vs Press is there any actual difference in the skis?

• Baller

I was on a Quattro back in 2012. It got cracked and Obrien replaced it with another Quattro. (Both 66 inch skis)The replacement was not the same flex AT ALL. Too soft. It just dumped me at the ball after getting too much angle.

I'm now on the 66" Conquer. Love love love it! It's stiffer, but just right. Offside is wonderful. I have no idea what the differences are between the two besides the construction methods an stiffer flex. I can say it makes up time when you make mistakes!!!!!

@ThePantsManCan‌ thanks.

Could you possibly describe some other differences or issues you had with the quattro?

I have always loved my Quattro, but I'm kinda stuck at 35 off, its so inconsistent and 38 is a couple of buoys if the stars align.

I have only had a handful of passes from what i can tell they are pretty similar.

the Conquer seems to come out of the buoy with less drama/more consistent, gets me stacked quicker. the skis seems calmer.

It feels like the skis rides on the water differently, for example it doesn't pop over the wake at 28 off.

the gate pull out is the most measurable difference i find myself far wider on the conquer - but what does this equate too? is this good or bad?

• Baller

@sweveit, you are waaay beyond me as I am only at 22 off. 28 off on my reach pass. I'm not confident I could tell YOU what to do. I'm not worthy.

I agree on the width you get on the gate pullout. I feel the same thing. This ski is so much faster that I have to change my turn in point for the gates. I have to either turn back into the gates a little later or with less intensity, or else I will blow my gates by a mile. So a general feeling of extra water speed is one definite difference I feel.

Onside, (which is 1 ball for me) the ski seems to get way out in front of me nice and early. I haven't enjoyed backsiding balls as much on any other ski to date. At least compared to what I have been riding over the years. Onside with the Conquer, for me, has been super stable and dependable. Not quite as sharp a turn as some other skis I've ridden, but this trait keeps me from over pulling into 2 ball, which for me, as a Left Foot Forward skier, would destroy my pass into my Offside at 2.

Offside is where the pleasure makes my eyes roll back into my head. When I come into offside with the Conquer, I am able to bleed speed very well, which results in a ton of angle, and all at once the skis tip engages. The resulting SNAP turn throws me into the opposite direction with speed as well as all the angle I can hold onto. Compared to the Quattro, which would have folded me in this situation, the Conquer maintains speed right out of the bouy. Tip engagement is all at once, yet smooth enough not to pitch me OTF. In fact, I feel nowhere near an OTF EVER on the Conquer. Or at least if I go Over the Front, it wasn't the ski's fault.

so having a couple of sets on the ski the only difference i could feel were the factory settings on the conquer felt better, other than that the quattro and the conquer feel exactly the same (??)

so I've put the same settings on the quattro, hopefully haven't completely screwed my ski up..funnily enough the only difference between the two settings on the website is the distance from tail which seems a little bizarre.

• Baller

Bringing this thread back from the dead, I just picked up a 2015 Conquer with the extra rocker. It will be way too long before I can try the ski, but I figured why not prod anyone who has any experience with the Red model Conquer?

Anyone out there have some experience with the newest Conquer? @jayski?

• Baller

The Blue 2013 was a very flat ski. I have one of those in a 66" length. The Brochure page from the Obrien catalog has been the same between the 2014 and 2015 Conquer. In the description there, it says ''More Rocker for Smooth, Forgiving Turns''.

So it seems the 14 and 15 are the same yet the 2013 is slightly different. But who knows? I mean the 2013 may have still been based of the Elite, and the 2014 and 15 claims to be based off the G5.

Its going to take me forever to test the difference, being winter here and all that...