Horton made me buy a new ski

Bill22

• Baller

As I set goals for next season, I must look back at last season. In beginning of 2013, I was asking the question, “Do I NEED a new ski?” No, at my level the ski I had was just fine. I was on the fence (just get a ski because you want it vs. focus on technique in 2013 then I will be ready for a new ski in 2014).

Then I read “10 things to shorten the trip from Zero to 32 off” # 3. “If your ski is more than 5 years old, it is time for a new one”. That gave me a bump off the fence and a start to my best season ever.

As a Weekend Warrior without regular access to a course advancements in terms of buoy count come Very slow. But with my new Senate C and a little pro coaching I felt something start to click last summer and it was great! The Senate C rocks for someone who is a beginner in the course.

THANK YOU Horton!

• Baller

I don't totally agree that a more than 5 year old ski will necessarily hold someone back, it depends on the ski. Plenty of GREAT older skis out there that can be gotten relatively inexpensively on Ski-It-Again i.e. if you know what you're buying. I have a good ski buddy who is still killing it on an old Goode 9100, how old is that thing? Set a new PB somewhere in 38 off on it last season. I've been rocking a low serial number MPD since it was new when they first came out (can't even remember the year now), have tied my own PB on it several times (5@35).

Having said that, I WILL be starting next season on a new Vapor and my bud says he's getting a new 9960 or some such.

Hmmm, never mind...

• Baller
@Ed_Obermeier -I totaly agree. I still take the occaisonal set on my '07 Fischer, and I don't notice much difference in speed and quickness compared to my '13 Mapple 6.0 or my '11 Elite (although I love my 6.0 more than the other skis and ride it 90% of the time). The RTM skis hold up really well over time.

• Baller
If you don't like a newer ski as much as an older one, I would say you should question why you are on the new one....... Maybe not the right new ski? Sometimes that takes a bit of time to digest. I know I have been there before....... in fact I remember skiing on an HO Phantom for FAR TOO LONG!

• Baller

@EdObermeire, I agree that everyone does not need a new ski every five years. For me it was NOT the theory of “Leave nothing on the table & you must get the newest gear”.

My old ski was a 66” (I am only 133 lb). I kept thinking I could learn faster if I was on a 65”. For me it was not just about having something NEW or the latest technology. It was more about having the right size ski. And if I got the correct size ski and still did not ski well, then it must be me and NOT the ski.

It paid off. I got the 65” Senate and I also started skiing better too!

• Baller
Yeah... I got a little push from @Horton, too. A little project bonus check appeared about the same time from work. I guess my water skiing patron saint was pushing a little, too. I ended up on a 2014 HO A3 Syndicate with the speed skin texture on the bottom. A little setup and tuning help from @TFIN, and now I am skiing smoother and more consistent than ever. I don't have to "work" anymore to get it done. It just works all by itself.

• Administrators

I do not claim that the latest ski will always give you balls but I do believe that in 9 out of 10 cases a newer ski is easier to ride than a 5 year old ski.

"Easier" is a funny thing. It may not mean more balls for your average ride but it does mean smoother or better skiing for that average ride. When you can ski smoother up to your normal score you will eventually raise your average score.

Clearly how you ski is more important than what you ski on but if your ski sucks ...

• Baller
I was on a '99 KD7000 that was a tad too short for me. Last spring I picked up a used 2012 HO S2 and picked up a full pass by summer's end. The full pass wasn't all because of the new ski, of course; I worked hard on some new technique. But that's part of the point: regardless of whether your new ski is actually better (hopefully it is), you'll be more aware of your technique and the change-up can help break old habits (although yes, if you're not careful, it can lead to new bad habits).

• Baller
There are two things going on. First, the older skis simply do not turn nor create angle and speed as well as the newer technology, so even if you are new to the sport, then a newer ski will probably help you improve quicker. The second thing happens at the stage where you can tell the difference between different designs/lengths of skis because you are fairly consistent at your starting passes. At this point there is the "quest for perfection" hope that a new or different ski will suddenly give you more bouys and erase all of your bad habits. I just ordered a new ski from Horton, so today I am absolutely certain that I will be that much better next season. (PS: I have a 2013 66" S2 with a custom 5 stage rocker if anyone is interested.)