3rd ACL Tear on the same knee

coskier

So was skiing so of the amazing CO pow on Thursday, hit a stump under the snow and re-tore my ACL…for the 3rd time. I also flipped my meniscus on the toe side of my knee. So subsequently I have no ACL and no meniscus on the toe side of my knee. I had a surgery on friday to remove the meniscus but they haven't done anything with the ACL yet The previous two surgeries on my ACL utilized my patellar tendon on my last surgery and my hamstring tendon on the first surgery. The doc. that did the surgery on Friday to remove the meniscus suggested a bone graph on the knee and then repair the ACL, so it would be at least two surgeries. It would also more then likely cost me waterski season this summer. I am going to meet with a different ortho on Monday. Has anyone had this experience? Are there any questions that I should ask both surgeons? Is anyone aware of any alternative treatments? Thanks for the help.

• Baller
Sorry to hear about your injury. My wife retore her acl 2/3/13, alpine skiing.The first time in '95 they used hamstring graph from the injured side. This time they used the hamstring graph from the other side. The surgeon referred to it as "we are going to RG3 you", since thats what they did for him. Her side w the hamstring graph was sore for a bit. But rate of successful graphs is better using your own tissue over cadaver. Good luck! Jamie

• Baller

My best advice is to question the ortho on HIS sport. I've found that the best orthopedic surgeons are the ones who live it. The ones who are serious snow skiers, water skiers, rugby players, soccer players, etc. These guys understand not only the physiological aspects, but the social and psychological aspects of what we do. You can find a thousand doctors who can repair a knee for ordinary life. But doctors who can make a knee take the abuse a professional athlete gives it are few and far between.

FWIW Drs I know push athletes away from LARS and would only do it for non athletes. They say that while the recovery time is substantially less, that anything man made will fail in the knee eventually.