ZO off mapping tolerance

jwroblew

• Baller
Just push the button at one entrance gate, even if you are off by 150 feet, it is still going to MAP that course from that starting location. May start your times a hair weird on the one end, but it will still react like ZO and react to your pull. It doesn't really care where everything else is (Other than for that time segment). If your course is 5 feet long, I bet you would never know........

• Baller
My portable is out of tolerance enough that if I dont push the button about eight feet early it says something about courses out of tolerance and doesn't map it. So I push the button at the start when gates are at the pylon and have to push the other end at about the bow maybe slightly before. ZO still works just fine.

@ShaneH you have to push the button at the entrance and exit, as @skier2788 describes, so how does it only map the entrance gates? and as @skier2788 points out his course wont map if he pushes the button at the pylon at entrance and exit, making me believe his course is long, but works if he goes pylon and bow. The difference between a nominal course (849' 8 7/8") to a course at the maximum allowable length (851' 10 3/8") is just over 2". So my real question, Is 2 feet the max ZO will go before it gives out of tolerance and won't map or is it more than that?

• Baller

I wouldn't use ZO to decide if your course is long/short. If it is an insta-slalom they have what I believe is a life time warranty and guarantee on the mainline. So you could send it back to them and have it measured/repaired...........

If your out by a couple feet, just push the exit gate button earlier (at the long beep - I think that is what ZO does as it gets close to the exit??). Or, I would maybe split the difference. Not sure it will matter other than you will get a few more feet to make a turn in there somewhere...... probably will run a 43' OFF first try since it will be so much easier.......

It's not my course its a friends, when I ski it it doesn't seem right, easy. Everyone always puts up their best scores there and not just by a little bit. I know some lakes ski easier than others because of water depth, quality, etc. but I've skied enough lakes all across America and this doesn't fell like "different" water. When I asked him if his course was long, his response was "ZO mapped it, so it good!" Not being happy with that response lead me to the question, because I know everything I read on the internet is true.

• Baller
@jwroblew‌ Have someone like Ed Brazil survey the course. Had Ed survey my course after 15 years of it being in and it was right on except for one turn buoy that needed adjustment. Some thought my course was off because it was harder to ski than others, but I believe that is more about the lake itself.

• Baller
Ok, I see what you're asking now. Regardless, it's still just mapping the two entrance gates. But I've seen as much as 8 ft long at a site where it wouldn't let you mark the 2nd gate. It really won't matter to ZO if you hit the button 2 or 4 ft short or long. It's still going to give the same pull.

• Baller
First time we installed our portable we forgot to extend one section of the PVC. Thought I was the next Nate smith. Then realized my error. Haven't skied that well since. If it skis super easy I would more at centerline to ball distance more so than overall distance. If you really want to check it just put a stopwatch on it and compare to the ZO time you get. If it is off by enough to make a difference in the scores that should show it.

• Baller

I'm unsure as to which brand of portable course is being referred to here, but this discussion compels me to want to throw one comment in here for the sake of the reputation of the accuracy of portable courses in general (as compared to surveyed-in courses i.e.) and for the sake of our brand reputation specifically.

At EZ-Slalom we GUARANTEE the dimensional accuracy of all of our courses, both portable and permanent. Specifically we guarantee the distances from boat gate to boat gate, overall length, and from centerline to turn ball to be within allowable tolerances. Guaranteed.

My specific personal guarantee - if it's one of our courses and you think it's out send it back and I'll double check it. If it is indeed out I'll repair or replace it no charge including shipping charges. If you choose to have it surveyed, if the survey proves it to be out I'll not only repair/replace the mainline (built to the dimensions in the survey you provide) but I'll also reimburse you for the survey. Of course you'll have to provide me with the survey results and the bill for the survey as proof. Fair enough?

In the 16+ years we've been in commercial business I've had ONE rope mainline come back to me that was out of tolerance. It had been in the water for several years being used as a permanent course mainline even though our rope mainlines are not built, designed, or guaranteed for that type of usage. It had stretched enough from under constant high tension that it was indeed too long. We repaired it and shipped it back to the customer at no charge for the adjustments we made to it, and I believe the customer is also a Baller here (sorry, if you're the customer reading this I apologize for not remembering who). And we have never replaced a single mainline due to failure due to materials, workmanship, or tolerance issues. Not one.

If anyone has or thinks they have an issue with one of our mainlines please contact me. We don't have unhappy customers and if anyone is having an issue with something I've built I take that personally and want to do whatever it takes to make/keep you happy. Period.

Ed Obermeier, owner

EZ-Slalom Course Systems

800-216-4461 toll free US

913-294-2148 office direct

www.ez-slalom.com

• Baller
@Ed_Obermeier‌ I have an insta slalom. I think mine is due to the fact the main line is being stretched really really tight and left in the water for 7 months out of the year. No disrespect from me love the portable course. The extra length mine has is negligible.

@Ed_Obermeier, I never did say in my original post or later post that the course was a portable. And your response is awesome, the fact you believe in your product and are willing to pay for a survey (if the course is out), tells me that you really believe and will stand behind your product.

• Baller

Thank you @jwroblew, appreciate the comment. I do definitely believe in what we're doing here and I do have complete confidence in the stuff we build. The template I build my mainlines on has been surveyed twice, our mainlines have been surveyed on site at least 6 times that I'm aware of, including for use in three R level tournaments - the 2008 Junior US Open and the 2011 and 2013 Disabled Worlds (all under IWSF rules). Arturo Nelson is in Mexico right now with one of our courses he recently purchased from us (his 2nd or 3rd, not sure) for the Big Dogs Mexico tournament. Don't think our mainline is being used for the tournament but I'm pretty sure it's being used for practice for the tournament. I could go on but I'm sure I've tooted my own horn enough ...

Bottom line is I want everyone/anyone who is using our stuff or considering purchasing from us at some point to know that we stand behind what we build. Thank you again for the positive words, sincerely appreciated.

Ed @ EZ-Slalom