196 Nautique Boat Cover W/Ramlin Trailer...

Onside135

• Baller
Any suggestions for a cover for a SN196. I'd like to find a good cover that also performs well at highway speeds. Also, I'm wondering what guys are doing to get covers on/off with the bow wedge on the front of the Ramlin trailers. My boat seems to ride pretty tight up against that wedge, so I'm not sure how to conveniently get a cover on or off with this thing. Thanks for the help...

• Baller_

Most of the time we wait til we can back the boat off the trailer at the ramp to get the cover loose from the bow stop. I keep (among other tools) a 3/4" box end wrench handy and loosen the bow stop upright bolt (Also provided I remembered to tighten the bolt when I last pulled the cover).

So far these guys make the best over the counter, best fit mooring and road cover. http://commercialsewing.com/ truly a 100 mph cover!

• Baller

I have Rankin cover. They are no longer in business but it was an 800.00 cover at the time and it's still amazing to this day. Any comparable cover that fits the boat like a drum with no straps or snaps is well worth the investment.

As for the Ram-Lin bow stops, don't worry about them with the cover. No need for cutouts, etc. I find that when I put down the jack stand on the front of the trailer (enough to take the tongue weight off the hitch) the pressure comes off the nose of the boat enough to remove the cover. No problem.

+1 on Cover-Sports covers. That will be my next one. The ones I've seen are amazing. As far as being able to get your cover over the bow, here is what I do. I keep a crescent wrench in the truck so when I get back to the truck to retrieve the boat from the ramp I tighten the bolt holding the bowstop up snug. Load boat like normal. When you want to put the cover on, loosen that bolt and you'll have enough play in the bowstop to put the cover on. Simple as it sounds. Just gotta remember to tighten it back up between launching and retrieval. If it is still a little too tight, you can always loosen the turnbuckle some and push up on the bow while sliding the cover over at the same time.

I emailed commercialsewing since Coversports is really far out on their lead times right now, and they told me they only sell through Nautique dealers who have to buy directly through Nautique. That's 2 extra channels of markup so the end user price is astronomical. The covers look really nice but I just can't justify spending well over $1000 on a cover for a SN196. There's just not that much material to justify the cost.

• Baller

Thanks to everyone for the responses. @uflbret @‌Jody_Seal I think the 3/4" wrench / crescent wrench trick is exactly what I'll need to give me the room to put the cover over the bow. I'm not sure why I didn't notice that!

I also contacted Commercial Sewing via phone, and they told me they didn't make a cover for an '01 196, and that if they did they only dealt with dealers or the manufacturer. I'm still waiting to here back from Cover-Sports. Their website seemed to be under construction. Anyone have a phone # for them?

Hmmm...@MS It's a 2001 196. Tell me about this cover...

After further research I decided to get a Carver sun-dura cover. 95% of the time our boat is safe in the garage. The only time I need the cover is if we tow down the 2 hours to my parents house or to my brother-in-laws house to leave on his lake for the weekend. The sun-dura cover was $300 shipped including trailer tie-downs.

@MS, wish I saw your post before I ordered! Oh well. That cover "should" (not certain) fit '02-08. The TSC3 hull is ever slightly different, beam is only 3/4" narrower and OA length minus platform is also 3/4" shorter. Not sure exactly what they did to the deck to change the dimensions, I thought the only differences b/w TSC2 and TSC3 was below the waterline. Maybe Jody can chime in with what I'm missing.

• Baller

It seems I'm leaning towards ordering from Brent @ Cover-Sports. My only concern is that even when tightening/loosening the bolt for my bow wedge on the trailer it doesn't create much room to work with to get the cover on and off. I guess I'll make something work.

Does anyone have any experience putting a hinge on the bow stop wedge? Pics?

• Baller
@oldjeep...I don't think it's trailer flex, but when you lift the tongue with the jack (trailer not attached to receiver ball), the location of the center of gravity of the boat allows you to physically lift up the bow to install the cover. The trailer isn't flexing...

• Baller

@bigtallweed‌

Unless the cover is specifically designed for towing, you are correct. I'm sure all of us remember the days when one didn't dare tow with the cover on. Many factory covers are now designed for towing, like Rankin and Coversports. I prefer the factory SN200 cover to any I've had in the past. I think the MC covers are really nice too, but I don't have any real world experience with them.

• Baller
@swc5150...Do you know if your factory cover for the SN200 may be an Outer Armor cover from Commercial sewing? I think they've made a bunch of them. Also, you spoke highly of the Cover-Sports product earlier. Comparing the two...which is your preference, why? Thanks for all your inputs...

• Baller

@Onside135‌

I believe I heard Commercial Sewing made the 200 cover, but I'm not positive? I'll see if I can find a tag on it showing the manufacturer. I personally prefer the factory cover due to it's light weight, intuitive install design, and ventilation ports. It's almost a vinyl-like material, that's easier to clean than Sunbrella too. CS covers are great, but not entirely user-friendly at first install. There are little J hooks you need to install, via Velcro strips, to attach the cover to the rub rail. Also, the rear straps can be confusing as to where they attach at first. The CC cover also has some webbing on the inside to totally prevent water from pooling. If I one could get the 200 cover made to fit a 196, it would be my first choice, but I'm not sure the option exists? You still can't go wrong with a CS cover, it just takes a couple tries to tweak it for a perfect fit.

Just put my new Cover Sports cover on today for my 2008 Ski Nautique 196. I have to agree, this is the best cover made hands down! Brent knows how to make a cover and you can tell some thaught went into developing these boat covers. You can tell quality when you see it...the front of the cover has leather so the fabric doesn't get worn through, there is felt/fabric padding under cover where it contacts the windshield frame so they don't get scratched/worn, the cinch mechanism in the back of the boat has leather wrapped around it doesn't scratch the boat and all around the sides of the boat there are rail hooks to keep the cover from pulling up. This cover has it all, can't be happier!fkm461b06fls.jpeg

h6ci8mj4jmiy.jpeg

1xeset3pdzzr.jpeg

rxiurbxh40q5.jpeg

sf0wen7gvj6q.jpeg