Trent F clininc @ Ski Texas

skihard

• Baller

Had a great day with Trent today coaching at Ski Texas. 8 students/skiers and many passes with complete and specific constructive coaching! We had a blast and thanks to all who came out!

Hell yes even Shane Hill had fun! :)

@Horton I think someone said today that you'd have enjoyed the day here too! :)

• Administrators

@TFIN is a great guy and one hell of a coach. I wish I could have been there.

Funny story - first time I skied with @TFIN‌ he did not know I can be a smart ass. After my first pass I asked him if my spray was good. He looked totally horrified and lost for a second.

• Baller

It was an awesome day! Great fun, great people, good skiing, and some great laughs too. And yes Trent is a great coach!

I think I need to shout out to Miller Lite to sponsor the next one seeing how many dead cans I have around here today! LOL

• Baller

Good thing I had to leave otherwise the possibility exists for large scale massacre of beer cans. It was a fun day, Rod. Thanks for setting it all up and for providing lunch and dinner. And beer. :) And thanks to Jim Thompson for the use of the '14 Malibu promo.

T$ was dead on with me. We talked beforehand about what I was feeling wrong and how I wanted it to feel. In my case, he got that I was after a feeling of carrying the line tension longer. But was taking too much load to early and having to give up the tension exiting the white water. After two passes he had me change how I was rising up out of my gate move out in order to improve my management of the line tension in the gate glide. It was a little different at first because I was getting to the turn in point with more speed. But this allowed me to turn into more angle with less load. Which set me up to work on protecting the hip alignment all the way to the top of the arc going to 1. Others may not get this, but it hit on me what he was trying to have me do instantly. He explained that the reason I was feeling a loss of line tension at the buoy was that I was letting my hips open up to the boat from centerline, which then cut off the swing and had me taking a narrower path. So what he wanted me to do was set my body position with the trailing hip(left going to 1/3/5-right going to 2/4/6) behind the handle and then protect that hip position with it behind the handle and inside my two forearms all the way to the top of the swing and release. Once I started to get the concept, I would be at full extension at the apex(with no extra counter rotation movement because I was keeping the hip behind the handle going outbound) and could feel the boat bringing me back inbound through the muscles in the underside of my arm and pec muscle. So I definitely have some things to work on and will be skiing with him again on Friday.

The other thing we talked about afterwards was what he does when he takes too much angle or a big hit at the buoy and looses his hip alignment. Because if I'm going to work on hip alignment to the top of the arc, it's going to start at the finish of the turn/base of the arc, and I need to know what to do when I loose that at the beginning. What he told me was that he opens his shoulders to the boat more, let's the ski feed back to the boat a bit, and this will hopefully allow him to move into a better "protect" position.

Great day and I really got something out of it. It was applicable to me and the feel I want on the water and not just a set of buzzwords that a coach tells all the skiers he's got that day.

• Baller

Jim, that Shane is a boat delivering King. Most do not know the true tale of the Covington Record a few years ago, so get a cold one, prop up your feet, and listen, my children (or "my friends..." for Wish) whilst I regale you concerning the greatness of ShaneH.

The great Dockside Marine, Charles Mueller officiating, had provided a SN for the Labor Day Record. However, after the first day of pulls, some of the ladies (Regina, Karina, etc.) thought the 6L was a tad strong and no way would slalom records fall with that particular boat. After major abuse of said Charles, and after a minor abuse of alcohol, a midnight call to Paul "ShaneH" Revere was made, imploring him to pick up a 5.7L SN and bring it to Covington by the next morning.

We may never know the truth of what our hero had to give up that Saturday night to make the trip. Some say it was a blowup doll and pink daquiris; others say it was Rosey Palmer and Bud Lights; still others swear it was a trasvestite Texans cheerleader and her wife. In any case, our hero was there that next morning, delivering the requested boat after a 6 hour expedition.

The Hollywood ending? There ain't one as no records fell. However, how often are legends made? When is the last time a true tale such as this brought tears to your eyes? When has the greatness of Joe Average been displayed so heroically? Rarely, my friends, rarely. Thank you, ShaneH, for making our little world a better place. Though it ended up meaning diddly-squat, it was the thought that counts.

But not for much.