Big Dawg Skiers at Masters

GregDavis

• Baller

@GOODESkier Why on earth would Mapple ski the Masters as a Big Dawg!?

He has won the Pro Masters title like 15 times or something!

Not knocking the Big Dawgs at all but you have to realize there is quite a difference between 34 and 36

• Baller
Big Dawg skiers didn't just appear out of no where skiing 34mph, look back---all of us spent time at 36 and most have more than respectable scores at MAN speed (especially factoring in the full time job, families etc.)

• Baller_

Had tons of friends and Fam watching Atlanta ProAm webcast last for the finals AM. Web cast cut out just as I was getting pulled out of the water and stayed out till event was done. It does happen. Had lots of frustrated txts on my phone..

Currently at Masters watching Jr Mens jump... Weather is stunning. Bit breezy for jump but tomorrow almost no wind predicted. Lake also lowered 7" so should ski better. One course record already broke by Jr Men's Slalom. More course records should go down this weekend.

Without any experience, I do think that waterski competitions are very different than higher exposures, like golf, and that there is plenty room, for multiple formats with the pros, like big dog. The more the merrier.

• Baller

Just a couple of observations as I was there this morning for the whole thing. They did a head to head with those guys with Jeremy and Harald paired and Dave M. and Jay paired. Jeremy was running his 38 but stood up at 4 ball once he knew he had beaten Harald's score. I kind of wish he had continued skiing just to see what he could have done.

Also I would not say that they had the best water as the morning calm made the rollers even more obvious. The slight wind that came up as the morning progressed helped to mitigate the rollers.

• Baller
Looked to me like the little dogs that were in the finals, put on a pretty good show today. Back to back tie of the course record and then running -38 in the run off twice........ Pretty awesome.

• Baller

Sorry if I offend anyone but the masters is for the best. An elite, exclusive event.

There is no senior golf masters tournament during "the masters".

Exhibitions like andy skiing vs bob and other fun events like the par 3 comp at Augusta are great, but a big dawg tournament to me waters it down and I side with the pros who are truly at another level vs the 34mph skiers.

If his is 1 year to showcase for nautique, that is their business but to me they are diluting the prestigious tournament they've spent so many years are creating.

All levels of skiing are great for the sport!! One of the best events of the year is the Pro Am that Greg Badal puts on every year. Its awesome and great for the sport when all levels of skiers can compete at the same event and hang out with the Pros. Its all good stuff!!!! All you guys whining are just jealous!

Personally I think it's a bit silly that the Old Dawgs have separate events. Because there are so many "legends" that show up, I think it's only fitting to have them at the same events as the Young Pups. Back when I used to be a big deal for me to ski the Nationals, my favorite part was seeing the older legends like Kris LaPoint still duking it out in Open Division (late 90's).

Clearly the Big Dawg only tournaments will continue, but there should be no restriction to enter other than age. Meaning a current "Pro" skier that meets the age requirement should be allowed to compete in the events. Why restrict a skier 35-50 that has been good enough to place in the top ten as a pro over the prior three years from competing at the Big Dawg? Are they too big for the Dawgs?

Up in Soap Box ...

Oh and I don't think a person has to be able to post competitive score to render their own opinion on ANYTHING in this sport. Like many of you I have been around a long time and my lack of buoy count should not discount my thoughts (right or wrong). Ok off my soap box.