So I guess I need a shin guard.....

skinut

• Baller
I've been skiing the Reflex with the R-Style rear. In the last two weeks I have had the boot release from the ski in a turn at least three times and ended up whacking my shin on the ski every time. I am now skiing with a shin guard.... Is this normal for these bindings? And yes, I want the bindings to come off when the tip bites in the turn. I'm overcompensating from breaking my ankle last year.

• Baller

4 is too low... You should go around at least 5 initially. Between 4 and 6 is the usual recommendation.

Also, you should check if the system is correctly installed. You should be able to close the binding while at the dock with your foot in with one hand. If you can close it with 2 fingers, the SIlvretta unit is too far from the horseshoe, if you need both hands, it is too close. Both cases will make the system prone to pre-release. Also, you should check that you are not able to release the boot from the binding without the Silvretta release system opening, which would mean as well that the Silvretta unit is too far from the horseshoe.

Hope this is understandable, not sure it is, though. Easier to show than to describe...

• Baller

@Ral - I have found that I don't see much difference for me between 5 and 6 so I run 5 - however - one of the things I have noticed is that depending on the setup sometimes the horseshoe looks "pushed" forwards. I've shimmed mine w/ about 1/16" of plastic under the front edge of the plate which seems to keep it in the right place.

One thing the FM version of a silvretta did well is to keep this force low to the plate, instead of up at the top of the boot.

• Baller
Unless you normally get tip bite that often, it sounds more like your top binding is too tight which is restricting ankle movement forward and forcing you to bend at the waist to compensate. I've found the best results running the bottom two buckles fairly tight and the top one kinda snug like you would tie a shoelace.

• Baller
@skinut‌, with the Reflex, it is better to know the system and check the binding often. It is like snow ski bindings, the dealer might do it right, but it is your ankle/knee, not his...

• Baller
@Ral-good point. @Waternut-I do run the top buckle tight with the theory being that it will engage the strap more quickly and release the binding in a situation where the tip bites but maybe I have gone a little to far and should try it a little loser. I am super paranoid about jamming/breaking my ankle again.

• Baller

@JC McCavit‌ the heel block kind of is.

In downhill form the lug on the boot is part of the sole - and well, you have two boots and pants on, so it is unlikely you will smack the boot sole on any part of your body.

However - since the release sits above the heel ledge and doesn't touch the rear of it - you could also attach some foam to the back of it and it wouldn't mess with the release.

• Baller
There is no telling if setting 4 or 5 on one binding is the same as setting 4 or 5 on another. However, setting 4 on my Reflex was causing me ankle pain on release so I bumped it down to what I would've considered about 3. Skied on the 3ish setting for about a month and had a pre-release. I'm now at about 3.5 on the release and think it's perfect for me. For the record, I'm 6' tall and 185 lbs.

Shin guards and a half a mark on an adjustment with less than a full mark repeatability, and plastic shims, and "don't fall, they work better that way". Jeebus. You guys should have tried a gatorm...........ah, ta hell with it. Good luck and God bless.

• Baller

@gator1 - lots of this stuff with Reflex has to do with people running a large variety of systems of a wide variety of age, and all home assembled/adjusted by the user, I had one that was dialed way down where the heel of the boot was sitting on washers that were holding the release to the plate (404).

In my read - with Silvrettas I use the bottom of the block against the hashmark. Its just how I set them.

• Baller

@skinut -I think 4 is way too light and is the cause of your pre-releasing. The best way to adjust your setting is to click into your Reflex (front foot only) on the dock with the fin hanging off the edge. Have somebody stand on the back of the ski (or use your back foot) to hold it in place, and drive your front knee forward sharply. You should release with a moderate amount of force. Adjust the tension until you are comfortable with the release threshold.

FWIW- in '09,I was having the same problem of tip stall/shin bang on my off side. I just cranked the release down past 6 without dock testing the tension. Shortly thereafter, I hit a buoy and snapped my achilles because I didn't release. Since then, I've adjusted my skiing so I am not burying the tip at the finish, and haven't released at the ball in several years. Moral of the story: Set your tension through dock testing, and adjust your skiing so you maintain speed through the end of the turn.

• Baller
@Marco I skied this morning and did the test you described. Moved from a little less than four to just under five. I'm still gonna wear the shin guard till I'm comfortable with the release

• Baller

@skinut‌ How warm is your water? The plastic in the shells gets soft enough in my hot water to affect the release a lot. Warmer water made my Reflex bindings release prematurely much more.

Doesn't Reflex make a padded cover for the Silveretta? Of course I scrape up my shin on the edges of the ski any time I release. Duct tape the padding to your shin. Does that mean you have to shave your legs?

Eric

• Baller
@skinut It's a good idea to do the release test several times a summer (on the dock, not in an OTF). With the wear and tear of equipment, the release tension can change over time. On my last Reflex setup (404), the horseshoe was wrapped in a rubber membrane. Over time, it wore down and created slop because it left a gap above the toe of my boot. I had to move the horseshoe back to take up the slop so the boot did not move under the binding. Although the Reflex system is very rugged (I skied on my first set up for 7 years), it does need to be checked regularly.

• Baller

@skinut Glad someone is willing to brave the cold water year round. This year was miserable for me with the water not getting into the high 70's low 80's until late May.

@eleeski Actually on the thought of cold water and release... I would think a stiffer/colder boot would cause an earlier release as a warm soft boot will give a little in the upper cuff and straps before extending up to the release mechanism. Think of it more like trying to pry something with a plastic screwdriver or a metal screwdriver. The force is likely the same but the amount of distance required to generate that force is greater with softer materials.

For the record, the only pre-release I ever had with my Reflex at a setting of roughly 3 was in water in the low 60's and all of my ankle soreness problems from legitimate releases were in 85-90 degree water.