Intensity Vs Volume

Horton

• Baller
Funny how we all think about things differently. @wish 's comment explains exactly why I prefer intensity sets but he comes to the exact opposite conclusion. My opinion is, I can't improve until I know what I'm doing wrong and usually only at that line length can I really make any headway on the problem.

• Baller_

@Waternut‌ if I'm reading your post correctly related to my last comment you would prefer doing an intensity set. A bunch of crap (muscles joints) would not hurt, and you would learn what is going wrong at the 35s and 38s and prefer the battle and do that more often.

I will admit that is confusing. But I get how things are thought of differently and as always, more then one way to skin the cat.

For me I can tell at 32 what isn't correct. In fact, it gives me more time to think of what I can improve. How do I get wider, earlier as if it was a 35/38. Like I said, I will shorten to 35/38 but the plan for now is only if things are going very well at 28/32. Yesterday was VOLUME. I think I'm going to refer to it as a "Razor" set (ref: @Razorskier1‌ 's insane, never to be achieved by me, short line marathon sets). So two sets, ten 32s each set. It was hard core technique, drill drill drill type stuff. Passes just kept getting better and better for the most part. So now I've improved 32. A pass I can run with BIG mistakes in it when they happen. But, I can't imagine how dialing in a 32 will do anything but improve 35/38. I'm hammering in good technique. Did I want to shorten the line...HELL YA. But at the end of the day, all my eyes saw was early and wide. All my body feels is the correct soreness and not joint, back ect..pain. At shorter line when things go wrong, it is all happening so damn fast that without video, it's much harder to delineate between cause and affect of a certain skiing issue. And for the most part, at 38, whatever the problem was at the last 38 attempt most likely different problem will occur at the next attempt.

• Baller
@Wish. 32 is my technique pass as well. Sometimes too much short line makes me a sloppy skier because I get so focused on just running 38 that I scrap and scrap. Next thing I know all my passes get scrappy. Weekends are almost always short work for me. Them on Monday I just cruise at 32 with maybe a 35, only if I feel good. I definitely need the mix.

• Administrators

Since I have been skiing so good for the last few weeks I have not done as much volume and SHOCK I am not skiing as well all of a sudden. I took a volume set tonight and it mostly sucked but I finally fell back into the groove after six 35s.

You guys that do nothing but intensity keep at it.... you will never catch me that way.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
Volume is the key to reaching peak performance. Holding a peak is dependent on how long you keep volume up. The longer you want as a peak, and the higher the peak is dependent on how long you use volume. I have my best season's when I ski lots of volume. Volume will last approx 3 months, For me that is April May June. I look for High performance in mid July Aug to mid Sept. Peaking in late July early Aug and trying to hold that into Sept. I have used very long volume for a high peak with success. Starting the season with 28 & 32 repeats working up to 12 pass sets. Progressing to running 20 35 back to backs in June. I also use spinning 32 & 35's using 6 pass spins at 32, then 4 pass spins at 35 progressing to 6 pass spins at 35. I work on technique at 28 & 32 in early season back to backs. The 32 & 35 spins create a high level of fitness. After At the ski lake where I train, no one else is there on week days, my driver doesn't love spending 45 minutes driving me, but the results are really good. I'm surprised more water skiers don't use volume training, or periodization. It works for me.

• Baller

This is going to be a game changer for me. I can now see why previously intensity didn't work and volume served a purpose but did not yield the results I desired. The blend can be adjusted and @Horton has kindly suggested a start strategy for me with feed back control loop to adjust the blend. The right mix being important. My focus starting this season will be on ensuring that I REALLY understand where I am so I can adjust this strategy well.

To do that I need good feedback, professional instructor is vital for me, I plan on a trip for coaching at least once a month and I hope every couple of weeks. I video everything and for "volume" checking that I am still executing correctly is vital so i will check video every second pass, otherwise there is no point doing volume (better skiers may not need this but I do). I take the video with me and instructor sometimes points out fault cues or tells, this really helps me use this tool  effectively when I am checking my passes.

• Baller

@HortonBack in 2008 I was struggling with my 35off pass and one of the skier's in the club who could run 38off turned me on to super sets. He had me start my next set at 32off cold off the dock. I'm thinking I never start 32off the dock but what the heck! I run the first pass, the second, the third and at the end of the fourth I drop at the end and I'm feeling winded. I focus on making a smooth 5th pass and I broke thought and found I'm in the zone now. Pass 6, 7, 8, and 9 were just as smooth. The only reason I stopped was I was getting dirty looks from people on the start dock. (our rule was 6 passes or 3 falls per set) No missed gates and all perfect end course times. Needless to say I ran more 32's that summer and 35's were now starting to fall which gave me a peek at 38off.

Ernie Schlager

• Baller_
On 3/27/2015 at 11:39 AM, Rich said:

Volume is the key to reaching peak performance. Holding a peak is dependent on how long you keep volume up. The longer you want as a peak, and the higher the peak is dependent on how long you use volume. I have my best season's when I ski lots of volume. Volume will last approx 3 months, For me that is April May June. I look for High performance in mid July Aug to mid Sept. Peaking in late July early Aug and trying to hold that into Sept. I have used very long volume for a high peak with success. Starting the season with 28 & 32 repeats working up to 12 pass sets. Progressing to running 20 35 back to backs in June. I also use spinning 32 & 35's using 6 pass spins at 32, then 4 pass spins at 35 progressing to 6 pass spins at 35. I work on technique at 28 & 32 in early season back to backs. The 32 & 35 spins create a high level of fitness. After At the ski lake where I train, no one else is there on week days, my driver doesn't love spending 45 minutes driving me, but the results are really good. I'm surprised more water skiers don't use volume training, or periodization. It works for me.

My dad used to only ski 4 passes max when really training...

As for Volume, for his biking career he would ride at least 200 Miles a week. 

• Like 1

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾