Intensity Vs Volume

Horton

• Administrators

About 85% of ideas below are from speech I heard at the US Olympic Training Center 20 years ago. (I pounded this out fast at lunch so let me apologize now for typos and bad grammar)

Definitions:

Volume Set – a Volume Set is a ski ride where you only ski at line lengths or speeds that you expect to always make all 6 balls. A typical Volume Set starts with an opening pass or two and then 4 – 6 passes at intermediate passes. Ideally all 6 balls are rounded on every pass. Volume sets are where the fundamentals of techniques are learned and reinforced.

Intensity Set – an Intensity Set is basically a tournament set. These are the rides when you burn straight to your hardest pass. Perhaps you might back up an intermediate pass but the bulk of the skiing is at your limit. An Intensity set might comprise 6 or 12 easy balls and 12-24 balls rounded with some level of desperation. We generally ski less technically correct during an Intensity set. Often an Intensity set means a lot less balls round.

The theory that was presented at the USOTC was that an athlete could time peak performance and increase the peak potential by balancing Volume with Intensity.

If peak performance is required in a very short period of time (imagine wanting a big score at an early season tournament) a skier could do nothing but Intensity skiing. Most skiers with a bit of experience will bring their ball count up pretty fast in the spring. The unfortunate by product is that the peak potential score will be generally lower. Let me say that again => if you always take tournament rides and spend a lot of time working on your hardest pass you will get to your peak faster but your ball count will be less then what you are actually capable of.

If all you cared about was Nationals or a late season score you would want to take a very different approach. Perhaps 80% of your rides would be spent on Volume for the first 2/3s of the season. As the date of the big tournament approaches the opposite is needed. Most rides are Intensity but a few Volume rides are needed to keep things balanced.

There is not magic ratio but time spent on Volume skiing means practicing running 6 balls at a time and Intensity rides often mean practicing missing passes.

38 is the pass that I only run when I am skiing really well. About 60% of all the balls I round in a season are at 35. I ski a lot of Volume. I will not seriously shorten to 38 unless I can crush 3 or 4 35s in a row, a few rides in a row. As soon as things go to crap I go back to ride after ride working on the smoothest 35s possible.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

@Horton‌ I didn't know what I called it, BUT THAT HAS BEEN MY EXACT TACTICAL STRATEGY FOR THE PAST THREE YEARS!!!!!!!!

Currently I went to intensity to get ready for the first two tournaments of the year. When I get out of school on Friday, I will be back to VOLUME for the next month or more!

GREAT STRATEGY!!!!!!

• Baller_
That is exactly what I do. I also toss in days of just 28s and see how wide and early I can get. Can think about things that need changing or need to be reinforced. I leave 38 alone unless everything is going right. I see it as a body saver as well. When things get frantic, things get hurt.

• Baller

A lot of good information there....I guess for a long time I have been combining the two.

I try to start every set as if it is a Tournament and see what my score would be..Then I declare it practice time, and work hard on the technique aspect that I am trying to improve. Usually at 38 if conditions are good and 35 if it's windy...So I feel that I'm starting with Intensity and finishing with volume...Anyway, this has worked well for me for years, and builds consistency and confidence in the same set.

• Baller
I like both. If I can ski two sets in a day, the first is typically tournament set, the second volume. Volume sets are almost all -32 and -35. Part of that isn't because I want to train a particular way, but because I love rounding buoys and if I'm skiing them smooth, I will keep skiing. If all I was doing was skiing for tournaments, I might train differently. On the other hand, my high volume sets give me confidence that I am conditioned to be able to go to a six round tournament weekend and still be strong on the sixth round.

• Baller

No, back injuries, broken hips and now shingles are why I suck. Never backing up a pass is how I can do OK despite being unable to get any water time.

This year I'm happy to run 30 15 so maybe my training deficiency has caught up with me. And @Horton‌ is killing me in tricks as well. October?

Eric

I do have lots of gas.

Volume set? I've never done one of those. Once you get past 32 every line length is so different that I've always been of the mentality that I need as many attempts as I can at my tougher lengths because it's so much different then the length before. I rarely run a pass that I don't shorten and I rarely go backwards. Maybe I need a coach to slow me down and make me ski some volume sets. I've always wondered if it would help.

I came off an injury a few years ago and started skiing easy sets for several months at the beginning of the season. I kept the rope at -28 and didn't change for a month. I started adding -32's one at a time. I had time to think and work on technique.

I ended the season skiing better than I ever, and my back held up WAAAAY better!

I hadn't thought of it as a volume set, but since then that's how the season starts.

• Administrators
ironic that I wrote this today. I went to the lake wanting to work at 38. My opening pass was not smooth. I guess I was not really recovered from the weekend so I ran seven 35s and called it a day.

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

@Klundell‌ Wow -- that is SHORT. What is limiting you to that? Here is Massachusetts, dry suits combined with stubbornness and stupidity give us almost 7 months most years.

For a relatively short season, I actually find the opposite, which may be in part a function being a bit older than you are. A short season means I have to spend a lot of time building a base after a long layoff. Otherwise, the mid-season will be full of failure and/or injury.

Our site gets its water from an irrigation canal. Which means we only have water from mid-may to the first week of Oct. and the first month of the season is full of rollers until the lake weed starts growing in to knock them down. We really only get 3 months of good skiing.

• Baller_
I guess intensity this morning???. 28,28,32,32,35,35, 4@38. or is that volume???. Was not my plan that's for sure. Oh, and i did one of those.... I'm gonna RUN THIS!!!!!... outa 4 ball and did something stupid on the way to 5 cause the ski was headed straight at it. Damned excitement.

• Administrators

Mix on same day yes. Same ride would be missing the point.

A rigid plan may not work for everyone. I think as long as you spend more time trying to ski technically correct and less time trying to beat your PB you will actually end up with a higher PB.

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

@Horton‌ is completely off the mark. Chase that PB! To do so you need to be technically correct but technical perfection at an easy pass does not translate to the radically changing variables as things get more challenging.

You can waste your body, gas and time getting that pinky extended perfectly on that gimme pass or you can get with it and learn to ski.

Advice aimed at kids with Olympic aspirations is inappropriate for a board made up of aging weekend warriors. Volume? Never! 35 hurts my body so maybe it's OK for me to only go for it when I'm really up for the challenge. That's an individual choice - not blanket advice. The blanket advice is to ski so you are enjoying it!

Eric

Regarding my scores, I'm not sure how a past #1 world age division ranking, the current M5 ranking list champion, a few National titles, a couple of Senior World medals (once as the oldest competitor), Regional titles, a few area records (including a slalom record!) and qualifying for Open for the first time in my 50s is "FAR below my potential". I have rationed my ski time since being diagnosed with arthritis decades ago. I try to only ski with intensity. Works for me because I'm enjoying my skiing.

• Administrators

@eleeski‌

Since you are historically at least 90% percent right about anything about tricks and at roughly 95% wrong about anything slalom that means my original post is much more precise than I realized. I knew it was something that has worked for me but I had no idea just how valid it was. Thanks for your input Eric.

As for your scores and placements => you are talking about tricks, right?

(For those of you who do know Eric, he is the guy who makes his own skis. His trick skis are apparently pretty good. I guess the slalom skis “sort of work”. I have always believed that if Eric got on a good ski and listened to any vaguely sober slalom coaching he would be a pretty darn good slalom skier.)

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

I usually do a first "volume" set and then an "intensity" second set.

Someone told me once to "opt up" comfortable lengths: 28/32/38 or 32/32/38, it was supposed to raise the confidence level (???)

Have also seen Mapple training before tournaments: 28/32/32/39 (?)

• Baller

@Klundell‌ I was a bit worried about posting here as I know many people enjoy the feel of skiing more than competitive buoy counts. If you enjoy backing up passes because it's fun, that's what you should do. I don't want to discourage that.

@Horton‌ Why would training techniques only work for slalom and not tricks? What difference does it make if my best performance involves more than a right or left turn? A couple of performances that I am proud of have been in slalom as well. I do get it. If I'm going to chase Andy, I'm not going to get there by improving my 22off. Every coach has always told me to go full speed and top intensity in every practice or performance.

A large part of performance is belief. If you think some technique will work, it is likely to work. Just don't waste my gas!

Eric

• Baller

The fun of skiing for me is chasing buoys and knocking down that next PB. Trying to perfect something I know I can do means I never actually improve and the whole sport is work for me. We all have different opinions on fun though. In my opinion, I've never run a really clean 15 off pass so by the volume definition, I should not be spending my time trying to knock out 32 or 35 off but instead be trying to perfect 15 and 22 off.... Just doesn't make any sense to me.

Granted I have backed up a handful of passes in my life with another run either because it was so sloppy I think I might hurt myself on the next pass or because something in the last pass clicked with me and I want to try to duplicate it. However, these things happen very infrequently and are usually accompanied by a slump.

• Baller
@Horton‌ Whew. I was worried I might get banned. I'm a little edgy still. Shingles is a really nasty disease. Get vaccinated. Even if you have to pay for it. It will be a while before I can dream about putting on a vest. Or regain enough balance to do some real skiing on my trick.

• Baller
@horton this is easily your best post of all time. i completely agree with what you and the olympic center are saying. it doesn't matter what sport you do, to reach your optimum level you will always have to do what you don't want to do which is drill technique until you are blue in the face. that being said, you would need a proper coach for skiing in the boat most of the time or at least video so that you could make your adjustments between sets. I run 32's and 35's the first 2 months of the season working on what I need to do to run them more efficiently. As the next few months go, I will shorten to 38 and start running those more and more each week until they are where they need to be. then on to 39, then start mixing in off the dock sets with back to backers. you start chasing buoys early, you will only be taking a shortcut that inevitably backfires. terry winter is really the only one I know who can consistently take off the dock sets and still improve b/c his technique is already nearly flawless and his strength to weight ratio is off the charts. probably the same with nate smith although i can't speak for him. i think what some of you are saying is that it just isn't that fun to keep only running back to backers, and being disciplined is not that fun, so you want to do what's fun and push yourself to the limits. while i can sympathize with these feelings, these habits 99% of the time will not take you to your optimum performance level.

• Baller

@Horton your post of Volume/Intensity has already improved my skiing! Ran my 5th 38' OFF ever tonight after backing up my 35's until they felt mundane! Then I asked myself...... "Would Horton Shorten?" Then I ran what I felt was the BEST 38 off I have ever run!

Remember people, simple phrase to improving your skiing ....... "Would Horton Shorten?" BRING OUT THE PANDA PLEASE...........

• Baller
Been working technique really hard so far this year with no completed -38s and very few attempts. Yesterday in set one I ran 5 at 38 in the headwind, then ran it tailwind and ran it again headwind. Second set straight thru 2 at 39. For me the technique work definitely made the difference. Best day at 38 I can remember.

• Baller

@Horton‌ I wonder how you will be training once the baby is born. Balancing time constraints and your athletics influences your optimal training techniques. Wait until your body's limits change.

Many factors determine the best way to train. Back up passes if you enjoy it - run down the line if you want the challenge.

Eric

I had a blast last night skiing a volume set but doing it with intensity.- seeing just how good I could make each pass. Making a pass 7 or 8 times that was difficult a few months ago is satisfying. Tickle me conservative but I like rounding #6 a bunch of times.

• Baller

With only two minutes of actual skiing time in each set, volume implies a lot more than a back to back. I'm dismayed by the short shelf life of technique improvements one day to the next.

I have a shoulder issue that will not tolerate hits right now so I've been doing nothing but 32s, after a -28 or two to warm up. They get better and better as the 12 pass set goes on, and I start feeling like I now own this pass. But the next day is like reset repeat.

As tempting as it is to shorten to -35 after a few particularly nice 32s, I've decided, with input from my shoulder, I'm not going to shorten until, my first -32 is nearly as good as the last few, with an emphasis on rope control. Then I'll know I own it.

It helps to have unscheduled all tournaments until my shoulder is ready, but it will be interesting to see how taking the long view like this effects my scores when I'm ready.

• Baller

12 pass sets? On a hurt shoulder? I have no flags on my lake and I don't let anyone take 12 pass sets.

Take a 4 pass set and really think about every detail. Preserve the shoulder, train the mind.

Your volume sets should be doing the rehab, with the rubber band and in the yoga class.

Good luck with the shoulder. A Goode vest kind of helped with mine - but the shoulder was just one issue the vest was a crutch for.

Eric

So I'm mostly working on my gate right now. The thing I love about practicing gates at 38 and beyond is that I get immediate feedback. At 32 and 35 I can have a really poor gate or a really great gate and I can be in the exact same place at 2. At 38 that is not the case. If I do it right I will get on the right arc and I can feel it. If I do it wrong I'm screwed and I know it. I just don't see how I can get better at gates at 38 without doing gates at 38. They are so different from 32 or 35 and the consequences so much more exaggerated.

• Baller_
I did intensity this morning. Now a bunch of crap hurts, and all I learned was what i was doing wrong and the 35s and 38s felt like a battle. Started at 32 as well hoping for fresher legs at 35/38. Nope. Going back to training volume. If at the end of a few volume 28s 32s and 35s all feels good, then 38. Intensity will be for tournaments.

• Baller
@Wish‌ I have to go back and forth. Really intense short line Wednesday with two sets where I skied best of the year running 3/4 at -38 and 5 on the only miss. Was sore yesterday and winded out. Today good wind. Skied two sets of 8 with one 28, 14 passes at 32, and one 35. Just worked on doing things right. @Klundell‌ Agree on 38 gate. Has consequences you don't have at longer lines. That said, if I'm disciplined about them at 32 and 35, they feel good at 38.

• Baller
@eleeski‌ My old PowerVest is staying in the closet--forever I hope. My shoulder is okay so long as I don't subject it to hits for awhile. I get that there are intensity sets and volume sets. What about intense volume sets? Today was my last day in Florida until fall, so I did 31 passes at -32. I took a break in the middle, so is that two sets or five? No flags here either =)

• Baller
@Horton I'm currently chasing form. My current stack is too ugly to justify chasing more bouys, but thanks to this site things are definitely improving. I have a tournament in two weeks, so I'll start adding intensity in a week or so.

• Baller
It's key that you choose to plan each type of training.if you are planning to up intensity, you need to decrease the duration (# of passes) , as the intensity stresses your mind and "tires" you out sooner than a long session of back-to-backs or whatever. I think a big problem for many skiers is they ski too damn much and their body never recovers. It's because we love the sport so much, but it drains the energy level.