Where did my wing go?!?!

RazorRoss3

• Baller

So, interesting morning on this one. Last night I made a small adjustment to my fin and then adjusted the wing angle to where it was pre fin adjustment. That part all went fine, put the fin firkin back on, put the ski back in the bag, pulled it out this morning, put it on, but then I got out of the water and am surprised when I'm told that my wing is GONE.

So I'm a 180lb 5'9" skier and my build has led me to be referred to a keg with arms and legs. I ski at 36mph and get into 35 off and use 8 degrees of wing angle normally (rather than the more common 9 degrees of many 36mph skiers). What I found with skiing with no wing is that my ski glides like none other. In a 10-15mph head wind I would pull out light and find myself gliding too fast as I approached the turn in, the ski carried speed so well I was barely doing anything behind the boat and setting up 5-10 ft. earlier of the buoys than I have been all year.

After the discovery at the end of my first set I took a second without changing anything so that I had a set where I knew what my settings were (especially since it's hard to say at what point during the first set my wing jumped ship). My conclusion is, and physics will agree with me, that without the drag of a wing the ski carries speed notably better and if you can stay at the end of the line and out bound rather than going to the buoy there are no problems at all and I can't recall a time I skied with less effort. My concern is that at -32 and -35 if I were to pull long, or go at the buoy, or over load the line that I would not be able to slow the ski back down enough to get a good turn. At the end of it all I think I'm going to leave it as is for a few more days and see how it goes but I'm guessing I throw a wing back on eventually but I'm thinking with 7 degrees of wing angle instead of 8.

A very interesting discovery that I likely never would have made if not by accident.

• Supporting Member

For similar reasons, I've had a little success with less wing angle when the water is much hotter than I'm used to. Although carrying extra speed probably doesn't actually make it easier, it makes the timing feel more like what I'm used to.

That said, the N1 seems to use its wing completely differently. All the way from 7 to 9 degrees I found the ski carrying more speed and casting out better. In fact, that may even be true at 10 degrees, but then it shuts down too hard for my style and I don't get a good start to my next crossing.

• Baller
I was watching from the boat. Definitely the lightest and fastest I've ever seen the ski from ball to ball. Will be interesting to see if it translates in calmer winds and shorter lines. If not, I'll steal a wing from my wife's Razor since she is laid up for this summer and put it back on Mitch's. Overall I thought it was fascinating. It honestly appeared to me that if he could stay at the end of the line this could be magical. Time will tell.

• Administrators
I skied wingless for years. It depends on the ski. It really is a great feeling when it works. At 36 I am not sure about it.... At 34 the extra width is awesome.

• Baller
I tried it on my Mapple this morning. Straight thru 5 at 38 first set and all passes felt easy. Around 6 ball second set. That's not usually easy on my big public lake. I have one theory. As a big guy who turns his ski harder the ski runs better thru the turn, keeping it from doing a stop and go. Without the wing the ski feels the same except it moves thru the turn smoother and faster. Might not work as well for lighter skiers.