Arm Guard - where to purchase?

MISkier

• Baller_
Does anyone know how to contact Thomas Wayne to purchase an Arm Guard for a handle? I bought one a few years ago and like it. Have replaced my handle and need a new one. I tried the email I had before, but no response. Any info would be appreciated.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

@skihart I think they call it easy gardner, it is usually in the garden area. you can buy it by the foot I bought a 6x2 for four dollars. The one I made has lasted two seasons without signs of going away anytime soon

• Baller_

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'll look into those, if I am not successful with acquiring an Arm Guard.

@Chuck_Dickey, that is the email I used. It didn't bounce back or give an error. My email must be going to his junk mail or he is otherwise occupied. Thanks for confirming the address.

• Baller_

I got a reply from Thomas Wayne and ordered. He had been temporarily unavailable and hadn't remembered to put an auto-reply on his email account.

Regarding the comment on zip ties, I believe he uses a special type of zip tie that has the strength and durability characteristics necessary for this application. I know that my current Arm Guard is 2 or 3 years old and none of the zip ties have given way.

• Baller

@MISkier‌ I've bought a half dozen Arm-Guards from TW over the past three years, and it's been a freak'n adventure every single time.

I have a used one with the good new zip-ties for a 13" radiused Masterline handle (not included) if anyone is interested at $35 incl. shipping. PM me.

TW%20Armguard.jpg

• Baller_

Well, more than a year has passed since my order for an Arm Guard last July and I don't have it despite multiple attempts to contact TW directly as well as asking some other ballers here to contact him. Last week I filed a dispute with PayPal, which was subsequently closed since it was older than 45 days. So, I am not likely to get a refund, either.

Something must have happened to him or he no longer makes them or I am not an elite enough skier to make the list of recipients.

Not sure what I will do for a handle guard now, as my current one is cracking and just about shot.

@SkiJay, if that old handle guard of yours is still available, I'd like to talk measurements to see if it might work for me.

• Baller

Best alternative is to begin producing and selling a similar product and provide any level of customer service. You won't make any money but you might hear from the attorney for he who must not be named. You will be told to cease infringing on his client's valuable patent. At that point you may be able to deliver a small claims court summons to attempt to recover your money.

I wouldn't bother though since life is too short to waste time on stuff like this and there have been several DIY ideas shared on this forum that work well enough and don't come with the brain damage. Wasting time on a sunday until beer thirty. whoops i've got to go.

• Baller
FWIW- I have one of the few noose eliminators made by @Brewski which I received when he first started making them. I didn't put it on my handle until this year, but it is awesome. I would have kept buying arm guards from Thomas if he made them easily available, bu since they aren't, I'm looking for other alternatives. Too bad, because the noose eliminator is a quality product. Bottom line, don't ski without handle protection!

• Baller
Patent Maintenance Fees07/13/2015 12:04 AM EDT
Patent Number:7959481Application Number:12387908
Issue Date:06/14/2011Filing Date:05/07/2009
Window Opens:06/14/2014Surcharge Date:12/16/2014
Window Closes:06/15/2015Payment Year:
Entity Status:SMALL
Customer Number:
Address:Thomas Wayne
Suite 1806
3705 Arctic Blvd.
Anchorage AK 99503
Phone Number:(907) 349-3743
Currently there are no fees due.

• Baller_

@Jim Neely

Do you have a picture of a handle guard made from that Grainger poly? It says it is 5/8" thick. That seems quite thick and possibly heavy. I think the Lexan on the Arm Guard is 3/16" or less.

• Baller
@MISkier its 0.0625 thick, 1/16". The heading is right the tech specs are wrong. I'll try to remember to take some pictures today. I've made about 5 of them and given away material for another 4 or 5. I have yet to have a hole pull through.

• Baller
I can sell yardage of the high end synthetic leather @ $100-150.00 a yard depending on the style. A yard will make like 4 or more no noose style guards. You have to buy the shoe glue (BARGE), bungee cord or fishing cord (spectra), scissors and hole punch. Eyelets are not necessary but you can get a eyelet set at Hobby Lobby.

• Baller
@Jim Neely It looks as though you copied the file off your machine and tried to paste it into the text box this will only return the address where the file is on your machine. Try using the add file feature by clicking the piece of paper in the text edit bar and either dragging the file there or searching for it. You Can also drag the file directly into the text box.