Accelerometers for waterskiing

disland

• Baller

With the recent emergence of "wearable" devices. I believe there is a new plethora of options for GPS enabled devices that can be used to measure acceleration during a slalom run. This is an ideal method to gauge efficiency.

I have seen various prototypes for such a thing but I haven't seen one come to market.

Is anyone aware of something coming out?

• Baller

@disland An iPhone 4s or better (or even an iPod Touch) with an app called "Sensor Data" from Wavefront Labs is about as sophisticated as it they come.

http://wavefrontlabs.com/Wavefront_Labs/Sensor_Data.html

I have the phone and the app, I just haven't glued it to a ski yet. It can collect (and stream) data at 100Hz and I'll be a 100 data points per second is way more than enough to get some very interesting information (in an Excel spreadseet). Of course making sense out of all that data is another story entirely.

Something that outputs graphs like this of your skis roll angle through the pass at 400Hz? Or your pitch angle or yaw angle, along with GPS positioning at 4Hz ?

http://i.imgur.com/PrlnFtp.png

Note I think this graph is from my in the house testing not an actual pass, but the pass data looked just as good.

I have something, I even have a fully working prototype but getting the data into something useable isn't just a press of a button.

• Baller
@kfennell the software in the post above will do that. Even in real time if you can get a bluetooth connection to a laptop in the boat. And it'll do it up to 50Hz (using the accelerometers in the phone) or 100Hz for other data points/sensors.

• Baller

The sad thing about this conversation is there all friends and I have no idea of what there talking about.....Dave just cut later.... Kevin the data you want ends in a multiple of 6... Keith ....quit playing with your ... phone and go ski. Horton I had an Alpine back in the 80's it sounded real good.

Jeff Lindsey