Favourite Tools for Ski Set-up

pgmoore

• Baller

Following a crash that took me out a few weeks ago, I have had a lot of time to contemplate skiing topics that had never previously occurred to me. One such topic is binding and fin settings.

I've had two and a half seasons on my 2012 Strada and have never put a moment's thought to the fin settings or binding placement. I simply picked it up from the dealer and went and skied. And frankly, that has worked out just fine.

But now I'm curious to see where things are at and how close the settings are to stock. I'm not necessarily proposing to mess around with things as I'm no expert at ski set-up. I just want to know where I sit.

What are your favourite calipers and wing angle gauges? I'm particularly interested in slot calipers (as opposed to traditional) as the measurements would seem to be much more repeatable. Any other tools I should be considering?

• Baller

Awesome! Thanks for the responses, guys!

I was thinking more along the lines of do you have a favourite brand or model of calipers, etc. Same with the other gauges.

Or maybe none are particularly better than the others.

• Baller
@pgmoore You asked! No favorite brand but I use an 8" affordable electronic caliper I bought online. I also made a slot caliper to measure DFT from an affordable 6" electronic caliper using a thin grinding wheel. You will want to get an 8" caliper to cover all the measurements. My angle gauges are from Booth Electrosystems Inc. and are metal.

• Baller
I agree with @thager. You want an 8" model calipers. Amazon has some that won't break the bank - especially given that for most it's not a tool used daily. If you use a wing you'll need the angle gauges like @ToddL notes - although I've wondered if you could use the level app available for smart phones these days.

• Baller

Goode Slot Caliper, if I was to buy a new caliper, because that seems to be the one a lot of specs are set with.

2 sets of angle gauges ( so you can use on both sides of the fin at same time) one is really necessary.

I like the 2" block that a few folks sell so I don't have to take the wing off to measure fin depth. I have one that helps set DFT, that I bought from a Baller out here, but don't remember user ID.

Paper and pencil to make notes and record measurements.

• Baller
Slot fin caliper if you are ridding a Goode or 8" Mytutoyo for every other ski, wing gauges from H2Osmossis that have halves or from Goode, these are the basics and then a workshop full of stuff, drills, benches, grinders, air compressor and a lot more!

• Baller

I have a set of 8" Mituyos that I found at a flea market plus an adjustable angle gauge that Jamie B had designed but I don't know if anyone is making anymore. I keep a couple of Allen wrenches in the caliper case.

I also use a 12" long section of 1" diameter dowel that I use to tap the fin to get small movements. It is also useful if you dual lock your bindings to pound it back in place.

I have a tool bag I bring to tournaments with extra RTP rubber, a bag of screws, calipers, screw drivers, angle gauges, dowel, a rubber mallet, some dual lock (even though I don't use it) and duct tape. This seems to cover most of my needs. I am thinking of getting a back up RTP just for emergency purposes since both my son and I use them.

• Baller
Slot calipers only if you share a lot if numbers among other Goode skiers. I don't find them any more repeatable than standard calipers on most skis. Mitutoyo is the most affordable high quality caliper. 8" is a must.

• Baller
Jay, I think more companies are using the slot caliper. Rossi uses one and so does Mapple. I bought a Mitutoyo calibrated caliper from SS a long time ago, but if I bought one now, I would probably get a slot. They are easier to get repeat measurements.

• Baller_
Items listed above + tape measure for binding placement. Allens, screwdrivers, WD-40, pencil, small notepad. EZ fin tool not only for fin measurement but also for caliper calibration check.

• Administrators

Slot Caliper

Mitutoyo caliper

T-bar Allen key I stole from D3

Wing gauges also stolen from D3

Ski-Doc work station

Ski-Doc traveler work station

Phillips screw driver I stole from Fischer

Microsoft OneNote for all settings - the little black book was cute but get serious

Masking take for notes on the ski - when I use Dual Lock I leave tape on the ski as a mark of where the plate goes

2 bottles of Kilo Kai

Metric and Imperial allen keys from Lowe.s

12 inch steel ruler @‌eleeski gave me (more uses than you would think)

Hundreds of new stainless screws to replace any corroded screw on anyone's ski that shows up