Brain-Eating Amoeba

Brady

• Baller

I just read this story today and it was very very sad. I have been hearing about this more and more and I am wondering if any of the Ballers know more about this situation. Is this mostly from man-made lakes? Does the water need to be to a certain temperature? In the article they say she is an avid water skier and part of a ski club in Kansas. My heart is aching for those involved.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=30724920&nid=157&fm=home_page&s_cid=toppick1

• Baller
@Brady - From what I've read, water is usually north of 90 or mid nineties for the bacteria to grow. It also seems to be more prevalent in stagnant water and most common in Texas and Florida which makes sense. They say nose plugs eliminate the issue altogether since the bacteria enter there. There have only been 200 cases in the past 50 years but almost every one of them fatal. Texas had a child die on Lake LBJ near Austin a few years back after wakeboarding on non-stagnant water however - that was concerning. That's a horrible story for sure.

• Baller_
It is beyond sad. I cannot imagine. We did think of this when our daughter was younger and swimming in the lake. Biggest help was understanding just how rare this is. That would be a good takeaway. Much higher risk setting your child in the car seat and driving down the road. Prayers go out to the family and friends.

• Members
I ski in Texas, and these reports make headlines every year, as they should because how tragic it is and how rare it is. From what I’ve been told by the water people, the amoeba is present in the water all the time. However, concentrations of it in warm water are greater, especially stagnant water. Additionally, people are obviously more active in the water when it is warm, thus the higher likelihood that exposure will occur. But I’ve also heard that exposure does not necessarily result in infection. It depends on the person. I have no scientific evidence to offer as proof, but it seems to make sense - if the organism is present in water, even in high concentrations in the summer, and even with most of us getting some water up our nose, but only some people die. Though I think about it every year, it is something akin to driving in a car down the road not knowing the other guy on the road that may be a risk. It certainly is sad to read about each case, especially because it is usually involves younger people (more kids in the water than adults), but given the rarity, I won’t stop living my life.

• Baller

Being a Kansas skier I know some folks who know a bit about the family of the girl, my understanding is that the family is very active in the Midwest tournament scene and see/ski a lot of different lakes. I'm not, so no direct contact, someone like @sunperch who is more involved with the local tournament scene could possibly shed more detail on the family and circumstances.

Skied with my family doc and main ski bud Saturday and we discussed this a bit. He got a bulletin from the CDC and Kansas Medical Board about the case, basically stated what @Texas6 said above, very rare and unusual for anyone to actually get infected with it. My understanding is that the amoeba is actually not that rare, it's in a lot of the lakes and rivers we've all been in, and we've all likely been exposed to it at sometime in our lives. Takes pretty specific and probably unknowable circumstances for you to actually get it, and that it's extremely difficult to diagnose. The take away is that it's extremely rare to get it and is nothing to be freaking out about. Doo doo occurs and it's a damn shame it happened, especially to someone so young. Like everyone else my heart and prayers go out to the family.

• Baller
@Ed_Obermeier -its my understanding the only sure diagnosis for naegleria fowleri infection is post mortem and survival rate is less than 1%. as for the netti pot thing some cities have roof top cisterns that are used to store water for apartment buildings allowing a low volume pump to constantly fill the cistern and gravity to provide water pressure for the inhabitants. These standing water tanks have been found to be a source for the brain infection mentioned in this thread and another type of amoeba infestation in contact lens wearers that is never cured and requires multiple cornea transplants to avoid permanent blindness, scary stuff.

• Baller
Anyone know if this type of thing is sitar to the flesh eating bacteria? Seems like that gets a lot of attention but when I was researching the cases, the unfortunate victims often had severe immunity issues and usually swimming with large open wounds.

• Baller

@Waternut‌ they're completely different pathologies.

In the case of the amoeba in this article - you're talking about an extremely rare instance in which an amoeba is in the water and manages to enter the body and in a specific area in which it is not fended off by the immune system and is able to more or less crawl/eat its way into greener pastures. Amoebas are parasites, and the immune system more or less does not recognize/respond to this infection even in health individuals.

Flesh eating bacteria is a term thrown around to describe a variety of severe bacterial infections - many of which are aggressive and many of which are becoming immune to most of our antibiotics.

• Baller
I'd love to know if water can be tested and/or treated for this? I know we have our water tested annually, but not sure if something like this is even identifiable through the tests we do. Worth the money whatever it costs IMHO

• Baller

Prayers go out to the family!! Very sad to hear! Hopefully we can all be more aware of these things and be looking out for signs. Thankfully cases like these are rare!

I started using a nose plug last year. Severe sinus infections over the past number of years made me try it - and what a HELP it has been. This year - no infections so far!

• Baller

When tricking (constant awkwardly positioned falls) I have to tape my nose shut before skiing with some clear medical tape or I'll have major congestion after. I have a roll in each boat and really don't mind doing it. I suppose for those really worried about PAM they can use a little tape like I do for that too.

I have to admit I've worried about this amoeba thing for years, so this is not new to me. Total nightmare. How devastating.

• Baller
Never heard of it. Sucky deal for sure but in all honesty it is doubtful I will ever give it a second though unless I hear of it again. Kind of like people who spend time fretting over ticks or catching something from a dead animal while hunting. Nothing wrong with that at all, just things I don't spend time thinking about.

• Baller
This parasite is always a concern in Florida's lakes during the hot summers, but can also be found in under-chlorinated pools. Our school system hands out a Health Advisory bulletin prior to the summer break reminding everyone of the potential dangers of the Naegleria parasite. Their Health website also has a write up...see attached.

• Baller

I don't want to jump the thread about the tragedy, but I have done some research on this today, mainly because I take a gallon of water up my nose lately, and get sinus infections, etc.., and I read where this is not found in salt water. So, I am wondering if a saline rinse would be good to do after skiing to possibly kill the bacteria?

• Baller
@ed_obermeier that's my take as well. Tragic, unfortunate, unlucky, and rare. I won't stop skiing, driving, diving, flying or otherwise living as a result of rare and tragic mishaps in any of those areas...I understand and accept the risks involved and for me the benefits outweigh the risks. My sympathies to this family and all others losing a loved one far too young.

• Baller

@AB - it is possible.

There is a parasite in many bodies of water known as swimmers itch - vigorish toweling can remove it from the surface of the skin as it only burrows into the tissue once the surround environs become less hospitable - aka your skin dries.

Possibly an irrigation could be effective - it could be that the relatively low incidence of exposure has more to do with the rate of which the parasite can gain entry to the body, perhaps adults tend to avoid long term water boarding, and as such the mucus membranes would dry out before an amoeba could enter, where as children spending more time with tomfoolery in the water might have increased risk?

Another thought might be that some form of preemptive coating with something like mineral oil might create a barrier to entry.

• Baller

@BraceMaker with the way @AB and I ski and especially get up, you could put the wall of china up our noses and the gushing of lake water into our sinuses would still be present. I have tried nose clips and every time, they get lost. I also drink water up my nose when I have a hard fall. Guess I am not thinking about it since I am busy falling.

• Baller

Tried the blow the air out the nose thing, never was able to make that work. Flooded sinuses, head cold symptoms for the next 3 days. So I've pretty much always worn a nose plug on pull up. All my ski buddies quit making fun of me years ago... I don't feel near as bad about it now.

I just get the cheap plastic ones from the Walmart toy department, take the plastic string from a pair of ear plugs (the type joined with a thin plastic string) and replace the rubber band strap with that. I've got nose plugs I've been using for a couple years now, only lose them when they finally break in half.

• Baller

Skoot, did you have a problem not breathing through your nose when skiing? I haven't tried plugs, but wonder if not being able to breath through my nose while skiing would be distracting.. maybe at least for a while. But, I can do without the sinus issues too, or concerns of having something eat my brain, which wouldn't take long!

• Baller
@Texas6 I ski in a place that is hotter than sin in the summer and is near places where deaths from this parasite have been reported. Somewhere less than 6 deaths have occurred over a 20 year period and I believe all of them were in shallow, slow moving irrigation ditches. So needless to say, I'm always concerned when the water where I ski gets over 90. Long story short we had a need to start regularly testing the water where we ski due to a separate issue and the tests confirmed the presence of this amoeba. So I know the tests are out there. Contact a local lab and you should be good to go. Just remember just because the amoeba is present does not mean you can't use the water.

• Baller
@ab - it took a little to get used to - during the course I didn't even think about it as I was thinking mostly about the course. I don't take it off until I have finished my set, but you could take it off to get a breather if needed. I don't use the ear plugs....that would actually cause damage if you fell wrong.

• Baller

I teach people to get up on slalom by putting their face in the water and blowing bubbles through their nose. If you're watching the boat or ski your nose is pointed right at the water coming into it. If you put your face in the water as soon as you realize your taking off, all the water runs past your nose. You'd have to learn to get up without watching your ski though a d you may have to wipe water from your eyes if that bothers you... Small price to pay in my book though.

I get all the sinus infections with the slightest bit of water up my nose and I never have problems with water going in my nose when getting up.

• Baller

@texas6 my understanding is if it is present you got it and there isn't anything to do. But we are on a large uncontained river so even if wegot rid of it today there is nothing to say it won't be back tomorrow. If you have a private lake where you control the water coming in you might be able to eradicate it and keep if from coming back.

Again my understanding is that it only happens in real extreme heat, not everyone is susceptible, (there are numerous instances of several people swimming together and only one gets infected) and even if the amoeba is present you are not necessarily going to be affected, look at the low occurrences of infection. So don't over-think this. All that being said when the water got real hot, the kids stayed on the beach.

• Baller

this type of amoba enters only though the nasal passages, and almost all of the victims are kids or teenagers. It seems to not be able to take over an adult with fully developed immune system. My kids and I try to wear nose clips as often as possible during july-sept ...in Orlando.

I can't imagine this type of loss.

• Baller

I also have heard that it is in the muddy part of the water. A teenager died from it from Lake Havasu and he was at the beach playing in the mud. I like @6balls approach; it happened, it is extremely rare and we shouldn't change our lifestyle. I guess if I compare it to my motorcycle, there is a much greater chance of pavement meeting my sinuses than this virus.

I guess I would much rather have the virus go after us old dudes instead of our beautiful little babies!