Bindings - a different choice for my daughter

ScarletArrow

• Baller
So my daughter is progressing very well - just qualified for Regionals yesterday. Right now she's running a first generation Radar "Source" binding w/ a RTP which works well enough, but she's going to outgrow it's performance pretty soon if she hasn't already. I would like to get her a new binding heading into next year, but I'm not sure which direction to go. I know there is a 101 threads on "which binding is best", but it's just... different... when I'm thinking about injury prevention and performance for my daughter. I watched my ski buddy's son break his ankle and I want to avoid that if at all possible. I know nothing is 100% safe. I've narrowed it down to a number of choices - and I can think of pro's and con's to each, but I would like to know what you think.

• Baller

Appropriate boots of your choice on OB4. After a lot of research and discussion, as soon as my broken ankle is healed, that's what I'm going to do.

I know that @mmosley899‌, the owner/designer of OB4, has a ton of experience working with kids. Send him an email or give him a call. Based on my interactions with him so far, his customer service is outstanding.

• Baller

Depends on weight. If 80-90 lbs. Reflex will be fine. You can get different thickness liners as well. My son has a Strada liner in his trick to fill space. Next year, or the year after, we will switch to a regular Reflex liner.

Or just stay on rubber. Nate does quite well with it and this weekend's BD winner swears that rubber is better. I just like to be comfortable and hate working on rubber bindings.

• Baller
I think you want something comfortable and reliable first and foremost. You did not mention the level of skiing, but I suspect it is long line and slower speeds, in which case she needs an entry level binding. A heavy reflex boot is complete overkill for a young developing skier, and really so is a closed toe comp binding like the Strada/rs1. My 2cents

• Baller
All the OB4 plates are the same size so that they are all interchangable. This does leave some plate extending past the smaller boots. Making a smaller boot plate would require additional inventory expense and an additional set of holes to change the position of the spring housing. If demand is there...

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller