Sportubes

bowty

• Baller
Which Sportube do you all use? I ordered a Sportube 2 and it wouldn't fit my Strada with Vapor bindings. Does the Sportube 3 fit a ski with hardshell bindings? Wayfair.com has free return shipping so no big deal if I need to exchange it.

• Baller

Yes the 3 does, I have the same set up and I can fit ski in bag, vest, handle and all in mine, had flown if multiple times, strapped it to the roof of rental cars and SUV's and it holds up great, also fits 3 sets of downhill skis and poles.

• Baller
I use the sport tube 3 because I can fit 2 to 3 skis. The 2 will only fit 2 jammed in tight. Wayfair sent me a 2 by mistake. I used it kept the box and stickers and sent it back and got the 3. They paid for return shipping and wrote off the shipping. Great company. I bought a beast duffle roll around luggage for Europe. By the time I got around paying for it the price drop and they gave me the discount even though it was in my cart for the higher price.

• Baller

I used a Sports Tube 3, but went back to a roller bag, basically I found travelling around airports the sports tube, not that good, does not ride well on trolleys, slides around, packing it with gear was a pain and when you put the ski in, there is not a lot of padding on the side, just you ski bag, I also found it heavier than the roller bag, with the same amount of gear.

You can get more gear in the roller bag and it is easier to pack.

I know a lot of people really, rate the sports tube, it comes down to personal preference, I guess.

• Baller
The difference between the bag and a sportube is that the tube is pretty near indestructible when the baggage monkeys are literally tossing your ski carriers onto the ground - sat and watched them do it to 3K worth of my snow skis one trip.

• Baller_
Down side to Sprotube is the inability for the TSA to put the thing back together. Watched them crash mine into a rolling shelf of stuff as two of them were forcing it back together and one let go.....zing across the floor it went....CRASH !! Highly recommend taping a set of assembly instructions to the outside along with marking alignment points on the tube itself.

• Baller
@6balls but then it wouldn't be adjustable. I need one for my snow and water skis, currently my snow skis are 168cm so they will fit in the Sportube 3, but if I ever want longer snow skis I will need the 2. I'm going to call Sportube today and recommend a Sportube 4.

• Baller
Like @Wish said, and I know many others do, tape instructions on the tube for TSA. I also use a light weight ski travel bag to put almost everything in it first. Makes it a ton easier for TSA to inspect and get it all back together. And, keep an extra lynch pin, or machine bolt handy.

• Baller

I have a series 3 as well. The 1 thing that swayed me to go the tube route is many airlines say they won't cover damages if your ski isn't in a hard case.

I rigged up bungees that hold the 2 pieces together after picking up my case on the carousel at MCO missing the pin and seeing my ski gear lying there. Luckily I didn't loose anything. Haven't had an issue with the bungees yet

• Baller_

@Zman I do the same. Light nylon bag with all the little stuff inside. I purchased my Sportube used so maybe the new ones are not like this but my lynch pin was chained to the bag so it cant get lost. It also has a small hole at the end of the pin where a TSA lock can be placed.

@wtrskior Bungees? Gotta pic of that? Interesting.

• Baller

@Marco that happened a few years ago on the way home from @Sethski‌ . Luckily, we were headed home and damage was minimal with only a slightly bent fin. Unluckily the airline refused to help out with either the fin or the SportTube! I haven't travelled with a ski since and I'm not sure what I'd do now other than have good insurance.

Good luck at Nationals to both you and Sarah.

• Baller

Based on @Deke‌ story I begin to wonder if it's worth the hassle packing the Sporttube. A soft bag is alot easier to pack and it wont break in half either.

Since the arline seems to not pay for either the destroyed Sporttube or its content.

• Baller

@Commuterfish he got lucky, crushed on the wrong side, there would have damaged the ski, if that happened with a bag, there is a chance that the bag will move around a bit and the ski may not get damaged, I find with a slalom ski, in a slalom bag with bindings on, it is tight on one side of the sportstube, I am happier putting my ski in a bag and wrapping it with towels and ski gear, gives it plenty of padding, and the opportunity to move around a bit, just my personal preference, travelled with the sportstube a couple of times, used to tie the ski and gear onto a piece of hardboard and slide it in, the sportstube does not like riding on airport trolley's, or leaning up against lift sides or walls, it just slides around.

Pro's for me, as far as the roller bag goes, It doesn't slide around, It is easier to pack, I can get more stuff in it and it allows me, to travel on onboard with a rucksack with the stuff I cannot get into the Roller bag.

• Baller

@Wish‌ will try to get some pics tonight, but essentially I used 2 bungees (in case 1 is broken or not attached.) and attached them to a shackle bolt (sailing hardware) that is through one of the holes in the inner piece. the shackle bolt acts as a stopper and clip for the bungee. I tied small metal carabiners on the bungees so they lock on but are easy to operate for the TSA staff.

I also put a simple wing nut and bolt through the 2 pieces as well, but the bungees make it easy for staff to not screw it up. Good so far!

http://www.riggingshoppe.com/prodimg/im503.jpg

• Baller_
Dont fool around and get a sport tube. There is a lot less chance of it getting damaged. I have 28 years of airline ground ops and have seen lots of damage to skis, golf clubs and other weird sized items. The hard shell case damage claims are much less then any soft side.

• Baller
@MS‌ I called up Sportube because I had a question about returning one because I got the wrong size, and I ended up pre-ordering the new Sportube 3 special edition. It should arrive in September.

• Baller
I am intrigued by the bungee idea. I can honestly say I have no idea what you are doing from the explanation. The pictures will quell my curiosity as I to worry about the intelligence required to put a sports tube that you just undid back together.