New ski company!

Kavan

• Baller_

So not a new company, just a new ski from them.

Interesting that the SFE has been redesigned. And price lowered...a lot. Now wedge shaped. How does this not cause a bunch of drag with new shape?? Anyone know if TW is still using one? He signed a sponcer deal with them a while back. Wonder if he had input on the new one.

• Baller
I agree with @chef23. The standard is just bend sheet metal. If the price of the SFE got lowered a lot, what did it used to be? I'm not familiar with it's success but if it does work, I have a hard time believing the DIYer's out there wouldn't spend 30 minutes and $10 worth of sheet metal and make their own. For $75-$100, it'd probably be worth it to just not deal with the hassle and support the industry.

• Baller_
I made one. Been on my ski for almost 2 seasons. The price used to be north of $350 I believe. Looks like some R&D went into the new one. I'll most likely find a way to build one like it. By they way, my SFE was all of $1.00. Silly thing actually works. Just don't let your ski slip out of your hand and then try to catch it near the SFE (standard). Lots of blood.

Terry posted a photo of himself with his ski this morning on their Facebook page, and I know he's been running the metal thing for sure, but don't know about the ski he's been riding. In the photo he had the condor though!

• Baller_
Even the creator of the SFE seems unclear as to how it works. With mine (on one side only..personal choice) when skiing flat and straight, it is easy to see the water breaking considerably different behind the SFE compared to the non SFE side. To the point where water is being pulled or pushed away from the skis edge behind it. My guess is that it disturbs the water flow enough behind it to creat, and I dislike the term, a better more efficient "smear". Which for my off side is great. What is interesting to me is the new wedge shape. Can only assume it displaces more water further from the edge behind it. We will see.

• Supporting Member
Willi Ellermier is the one behind the Raptor and the SFE. I have not used it, but for the SFE Willi said it tightens the radius of the turn. Once people tried it they said it wasn't earth shattering, but definitely didn't want to give it back. Like Kevin said the Raptor is just out, and Terry is involved with the ski. If you want to try one Willi is in Sacramento area and I believe will make them available there.