Perfect Pass display not working

oldjeep

• Baller

I was out skiing with my inlaws this morning and the perfect pass display was not coming on. It was otherwise completely functional, buttons worked, speed was working as long as you could figure out what speed you were at. Apparently it has been doing this intermittently for a while, but today it would not display at all. It is the factory setup in a 2004 LXI - Wakeboard Pro? I think is the name on it.

Any common issues that could explain this? Wondering if it is repairable or if the unit has to be replaced.

• Baller
My 2007 Malibu Response LXI had the same intermittent blank screen for a few months then permanently blank with all buttons still working. Was told it could be condensation or other moisture on the power wires to the display. Disconnected the wire harnesses and blew compressed air into the connectors, let air out some more and reconnected. Sometimes worked for a while, sometimes not. So I replaced the head unit for about $200 from PP with new larger display. A simple 15 minute DIY project. No problems after that but a few years later upgraded to Zero Off.

• Baller

FWIW, he ordered up a new display unit which should finally get here this week. There is some control chip that has to be replaced in the older systems even though it had the multi line display. Apparently there is some sort of supply issue getting the chips so PP is sending out a whole new master module instead.

Unfortunately all we'll be able to tell this season will be if it powers up since the boat is out of the water in preparation for me to do some maintenance (new tilt unit) and winterization before it goes in for some gel repair, buffing, new decals. Should look and function like a nearly new boat next year.

I've had this problem.

Pulled the display apart & found that the screws that sandwiched the LCD against the circuit board had come loose. They weren't pressing the display & the conductice rubber strip against the PCB properly.

Tightened them up & a little grop of glue to stop it happening again & it's been fine for 3 season.

Cheers.

replaced a few .... all go because of moisture buildup in the LCD !

So last one I decided lets do something about it (and not just spend money again):

- I put a silica bag in the PP unit

- Installed a FAN (PC case fan) in the dashboard: blowing hot heater air into the instrument cluster.

- You could install a heat element in the PP..... but the fan heats and ventilates so I think that's better.

SOLVED for few seasons already (PP or any LCD display in a boat should have a heatfilm in the LCD then this will never happen.....).