has anyone who has not been sworn to secrecy ridden the V-Type?

Horton

• Baller

The dampening thingy on the front, was this not a feature on one of the O'Brein skis, not seen it since, just wondering if it's got some legs, or put on there to make the ski a bit different, seeing that mapple and goode are coming up with varous innovations, to me it's just another gizmo to play with.

The likes of Rodgers are very capable of skiing and scoring on older technology, nothing wrong probing with new ideas, but I have to ask, is it the Pro's who have good form and technique who benefit from these innovations, rather than people who are not skiing at their level ?

• Baller

Ain't broke...

Know anyone still in love with the old Connelly binding that had the Yellow forefoot with the little ratchet, - Saw one in action this summer. User LOVED it. I had some Stoker bindings that ripped out in a season and couldn't find parts, this guy must have either stockpiled bits, bought everyone off ebay he could find, or wiped it with 303 after every set.

• Baller

Missed this post earlier...

vTypes are slowly starting to trickle out of the warehouse; admittedly later getting them out than we'd like to be. Like any new ski, this one has gone through a couple iterations since the first tooling was cut. Rather than rush the new ski out the door to meet a deadline, we were determined to get this ski right. After the success of A3 and S2, the melding of them into the vType had to be done right. It takes time.

Now that we're cooking, I can say with a pretty high degree of confidence, folks are really going to like this ski. I've been on one of the final prototypes for close to 3 months. It took me to my PB on my first set and it's only gotten better from there. Naturally, I'm going to say good things since I work for the company, but the response from our demo days has also been very positive. The ski creates more space/angle than my A3 and my S2 and still has the width and stability of the S2 under the front foot. There's also a touch more rocker in the tail which helps produce a tighter turn.

@Stevie Boy - the dampening component is not such a new idea to the ski world, especially snow skis. On the vType, the stainless tip weight comes in at about 5oz. out of a 4 lb. total ski weight. It's not too crazy to think that when its paired with an elastomer the way the ski dissipates energy is going to change. It's something to play with and see what works for you. You can change the position; you can even take it off...

@jhughes and @bracemaker - we still produce and sell a ton of animals every year...ain't broke for sure.

I'll leave it at that unless anyone has other questions they'd like answered.

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller

Thanks for the questions, @JAS

A3 and S2 are both gone from the line. The vType truly is a blend of the best aspects of both skis.

As far as width, vType shares the same width and flatspot under the front foot as the S2. So a 68" would be akin to the 67.5" in the S2. The back half of the new ski is more similar to the A3, but with more rocker as I mentioned above.

We've integrated the Speed Skin base material into the entire line, thus we have moved away from the speed steps which were found on the S2 and TX.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller
@Stevie Boy Glad you're enjoying your S2! It's still a fantastic ski. If you ever switch to a vType, just keep it in the factory position and concentrate on your skiing more than the ski. As skiers, we are great at letting the little things command too much of our thoughts. We're all guilty of this :)

• Baller

I too have a S2 and hate to give up anything that the ski has to offer. What were the design elements that they decided to improve upon? Does the v-type still ride relatively flat? Effort to ride? Is there truly merit in design for 34 or 36 mph specific ski. Seems like there was lots of cross over with elite skiers in both divisions. Thanks for your insight

• Baller
The running surface on the front half is essentially the S2, minus the speed steps. Honestly, we were pretty happy with the S2, so really the goal of the design team was to enhance the angle attributes of the A3 and bring them to the vType. It took some time to get it right, but what we have now is a ski that 34 and 36 mph skiers should love equally. You're right though...it was a pretty mixed camp between the A3 and the S2 at the top levels.

• Baller
@Carl1967 Glad to hear you are liking the new ski! It's difficult to tell from the images, but it appears there is maybe some minor scuffing of the ink on the speedskin material (the material itself is white). We don't see this very often, but when we do it's a cosmetic issue and the speedskin is intact (woven texture is still there). We would be happy to inspect the ski here at the factory for you or you can have your dealer take a look. I'm sure we can get this resolved for you either way!

Thanks @savaiusini . I am in Melbourne, Australia and I have been in contact with the dealer. They are going to inspect it tomorrow. The ink is coming off quite easily. Using light pressure with a fingernail takes it off. Even when making measurements and changing the fin position has taken it off. I look forward to hearing what they say. Will keep you posted.

@savaiusini I had a meeting with Brian Michell at Wayne Richie's Skiers Edge today. He was very helpful and showed great customer service. He sent photos and then spoke to the HO distributer here and have decided to replace my ski. That gives me confidence in the company HO and the products you sell.

• Baller
Thank you for the feedback! Glad to hear that Brian and the crew are taking good care of you. I will share this issue with the designers. We are always experimenting with new materials.

• Baller
I wish I could say we have the high tech/very expensive instrumentation you would need to generate quantifiable numbers to show the reduction in drag produced...but we do not. We do know that it creates lift and reduces surface tension similarly to what is demonstrated in boat hulls, golf balls, etc. It really comes down to what the skis feel like in the real world. Real world feel depends on conditions, however. When we came up with the speedskin, it was sort of by accident. We sprayed some BBQ paint on one of our prototypes and noticed that the ski felt different/faster. At this point we had already created the step concave design (S2) and so we set about optimizing a new running surface over the entire ski. When our athletes were testing skis side by side, speedskin won the vote.

• Baller

@savaiusini, thankyou for your reply, the reason for asking, was basically if the ski gets damaged or the surface wears in different places over time, it obviously changes the property/feel of the ski and is an extra concern as far as warranty etc, other ski manufacturers have steered clear of textured surfaces on the underside of the ski, damage on a ski without speed skin is easier to deal with, should you be unfortunate enough to get a deep scratch, etc

I like my S2 very much, but I do worry about the underside getting damaged, how durable is the speed skin.

• Administrators
One of the team skiers who will go un-named to protect my spy network told me the speed ski skis "just feel better". Whatever that means.

• Baller

@savaiusini I think I got an off topic for mentioning this a while back, but my cousin is an engineer and PhD in biomimicry.

biomimicry.org/what-is-biomimicry

I've talked with him about the speedskin, and he feels it fits well within the scope of biomimicry. Fish have scales for a reason...

If you guys aren't familiar with it, you should be and I'd be happy to connect you with my cuz as there aren't many out there in this field. I find it fascinating.

Cheers

• Baller
I ride the Superlight X with speed steps.... Love the glide. Sad to see steps gone on the V-type. I was hoping to step up to an S2 at some point, now will have to find leftover or used. Anyone out there running S2 and switched over to V-type? Thoughts?

• Baller

@wtrskior "fish have scales for a reason"...fish need to bend for mobility while skis generally do not.

Textured bottoms on skis is all pretty new. Will be interesting to see how many different versions trying to accomplish the same goal we will see.

Marcus Brown came and showed the V-Type to the Utah Waterski Club meeting during our boat show. The interesting part to me was the new binding and how it attaches along the center line instead of the huge plate which most bindings have. It has mounting holes for the outside plate mounted bindings but the newer ones look pretty slick. It will be one of the skis I try this year. Marcus Joked that it might be the ski that gets @scotchipman to ski something other than a Goode.