Any reports from the HO V-Type demo day

Chef23

• Administrators
I did not get to ski on it but talked to HO guys a lot. Ski looks good. I am really looking forward to getting one. Full review in the spring I think.

• Baller
Out of curiosity I walked over there yesterday and stood on the dock to watch and listen for a bit. A young girl had just taken several passes on the ski. When she got back to the dock and was questioned about the ski, she described it by saying it "felt like a senior ski." The questioners then asked if that was a good thing or a bad thing and she responded by saying "it was just different." She didn't seem enthusiastic about it at all. Personally, I thought the ski looked really cool, so that gives it some points in my mind.

• Baller

I skied the V-type HO at the demo day - very predictable, held lots of angle, stable, as to be expected, very fast thru the wakes. Didn't hunt or do anything weird - I really liked it. Stock fin and brake setting but I'm thinkin' with a little adjustment this ski would finish turning on my off-side better and I could run this ski. 66" was the only size they demo'ed but wish I could have tried the 65" (160 lbs).

The new boot system was quite interesting. I'd call it 'minimalist' one-piece construction, amazingly light weight, no, feather light, with a removable footbed (so customizable). Med-low height soft upper with single draw chord is bonded to a hard base/sole that Dave Wingerter described it as having 'less shear movement' than with shell/liner type boots. The hard plastic base had slotted steel inserts for the attachment screws, and this was what really raised my eyebrows: only two screws per boot, yes one in front, one near heel running down the centerline to hold it onto the ski!! So used to seeing wide bases, lots of screws, shells with snow ski like buckles and this was the opposite! I talked to Dave about this and he explained that this wasn't snow skiing with a sharp edge onto hard ice or snow, so all that leverage is overkill. Water skiers actually need articulation to move their legs both front to back and laterally over the ski. Considering how many top skiers like Nate Smith that use a rear toe plate there's obviously truth there.

Wish I took a picture: 3 screw hole slots center, left and right meant canting your rear foot open a couple degrees is no problem. They skied great, very comfortable for my wide foot and I'm thinking I'd like to spend some time in them. Whole package was crazy light and easy to hop on and ski hard. Only wish more skis had thread inserts straight up the middle....

• Baller

@bogboy‌ there are two colorways of the v-type; black/carbon top w/ black base and "olive drab" top w/yellow base. They are the same ski, just two different looks to appeal to different tastes, similar to what we did on A3 the past couple years. The ski has the width profile of the S2 under the front foot and similar taper to the A3 in the rear. I've been having success on the 66" and I weigh 190lbs / 34mph...

It really is an easy ski to hop on and ski well!

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller
Any new news on this ski or any more people ski it? I'm in the market for a new ski and I don't usually get the opportunity to demo before purchasing. The HO rep at the boat show was really pumped about this ski and the new bindings. I'd say its between this and the Vapor or maybe a Connelly offering for me.

• Baller
@jayski, thanks! I'm curious what ski you are coming off of and how you like the new bindings. I'm on a Strada now and RS-1 bindings. I love the bindings, but I think the Strada isn't doing me any favors on my offside. And the RS-1 bindings are about at the end of their useful life. I skied consistently better on my older F1 with the same RS-1 bindings. I am hoping that a new ski will forgive some of my offside sins and that I can find bindings I like at least as much as the older RS-1s. Anyway, thanks for any thought you could share.