Resurrecting a Neglected Slalom Course

DefectiveDave

• Baller

It's been a while but I'm happy to report that this course has been brought back from the dead! Unfortunately, I was at home with a new baby and was not there for any of it, haha. I have awesome parents who have recently started skiing again and took the initiative. The water is low due to a minor drought which made it a good time to get started. Total time on the water to bring it up was about 10 hours. I kind of feel bad that I wasn't able to help after getting the ball rolling.

Anyway, they didn't take any pictures while raising it, but I imagine their hands were full with just the two of them. To summarize the course was buried in an average of 2-3 feet of muck. In general the components appear to be in relatively good shape. In the process of raising they did manage to damage it a bit before getting the system in place to dig it out.

Summary of damages from raising the course:

-Broke connection to one side of gate diamond (this was the first thing we raised, already fixed)

-Snapped PVC at 1 ball in half trying to raise with the boat (already fixed)

-Snapped PVC at 3 ball as it was really in there (fixing this week)

Summary of currently known damages from neglect:

-Many of the fittings are loose and will likely be replaced (this will probably be done a little at a time, I plan to get more detail to expound upon this)

Future work:

-Replace a spliced section of the mainline (this has been there for a long time, but I don't want it to break)

-Replace poly rope connecting the mainline to the anchors (maybe just double it up)

Here's a picture of the course when it was first "raised" without 1 and 3 ball (6 and 4 ball looking this way). It might need to be tweaked a little bit and surveyed again:

uulvkwucw2q7.jpg

I'm in the process of getting some information on what is currently wrong with the course and I plan to post back later with more detail. If anyone has specific things that they want me to check out I would be happy to oblige as time allows.

• Baller

@Ed_Obermeier , @Edbrazil , @lcarnes , @wish,

So here's the summary of the condition of the course as best I understand it:

PVC - Great shape with no obvious bending, full of mud

PVC-to-Cable Connections - non-stainless bolts which are rusting through, washers are gone

PVC-to-PVC Connections - same non-stainless bolts which are rusting through, washers are gone

Cable-to-Cable Crimps - Appear to be in good shape, unknown material

Stainless Mainline Cable - Does not show any rust or obvious degradation

Buoy Ropes - Good to go

So overall not bad. We are currently in the process of replacing the PVC-to-PVC and PVC-to-cable bolts which are starting to rust through with stainless replacements and stainless washers. This is likely what caused the PVC at 3 ball to fail when raising it. The buoy ropes are attached directly to the through-holes in the PVC, so there's nothing to replace there.

Also, the reason the course is currently sloppy is likely because the water level is down about 4 ft (currently at 6 ft, averages around 10 ft). This is just a hypothesis at the moment, but seems reasonable to me.

Not bad for a 37 year old course that's been lying on the bottom of the lake for 11 years.

Oh also, of all the great suggestions in this thread on how best to raise up the PVC safely, it seems the method of choice ended up being dig it out of the mud with hands!

• Baller

@DefectiveDave

Hope you’re getting use out of that course you saved in 2014-2015. Going to resurrect this thread...as I’m about to start a similar project in Charleston SC.

I’m retired USAF and got my first taste of course skiing in 1998 on a public (Accusink) course while assigned here in Charleston. Was a vibrant scene back then...weekends had up to 10 boats in line for 2 courses. Circle back after many mil assignments and we’re now back in Charleston...but the courses haven’t been used in a decade or more.

Since I’m not working due to the CV-19 pandemic.....I’ve skied more in the past 2 wks than I’ve skied in yrs...And WITH the whole family since school/college is out. While free skiing at the old public site, we came across another inboard owner (rare) and lamented not having a course. Bottom line: We’re gearing up to attempt to raise the course in much the same manner. (Yes there’s Trophy L and Stishers nearby...but I really want the family feel of being on my own time). The site is tucked away from wind/people. Can’t be afraid of alligators though...

• Baller

@DefectiveDave

DefectiveDave, not sure if you’re monitoring this thread anymore.....but it gave me inspiration to start attempting the resurrecting of a public-water Accusink course last used around 2005. It’s in about 20-30ft water. I moved away from Charleston in 2003. Moved back a few yrs ago to find the course a long forgotten memory...

Since SC lifted the CV19 boat ramp closures this weekend I was able to get out there and start looking yesterday. Had the fam w me so we had fun and freeskied over the site of the old course....and I used this as a ploy about how great it’d be to have a course.... So Despite high winds, after skiing we spent an hour making passes w a grappling hook. Nothing but weeds. I was going to give up, maybe come back w bigger heavier grapple w chain leader...and then we hooked something. Lost it while pulling ....but it gave me hope. We visually marked the spot and gave it one last pass....and hooked it— this time I was able to dive down and see it was a poly rope oriented in direction of the course.... I hooked a rope/milk jug on it and we left as fam was restless.

Hoping against hope that the next fisherman down the channel didn’t deep-six the lonely crucial jug float...I went back today w a friend. The jug was still there. Having thought it through, I realized I caught the mainline between the end-anchor and the 55m bouys (because there was no airline). Had much better conditions early today (no wind....except the severe t-storm warning at noon) and by going slowly hand-over-hand I was able to grudgingly gain some headway. We were able to eventually raise the pregates from the muck.....moment of truth....Both Accusink subs were there and the airline actually seemed ok condition.

We eventually were able to get the ML over the boat’s swim platform and hand-over-hand walk the boat to the entrance gates. The amount of leverage required was significant. The Swim platform was submerged by the tension of the mainline. After a mighty struggle the entrance gate and subs gave up and rose from the mud/depths. With tstorms bearing down on us we had to bail but marked the 55m and entrance gate w jugs.

Lesson learned:

cover the back of boat and swim platform...I will be getting rubber backed bath mats to throw over the back of boat. Prevent mud/scratches.

Getting the pvc arm raised out to 1-ball....will be the next true test.

Since CV-19 put me out of work at least thru May (and gas is cheap for skiing)...this is at least occupying my time (and dreams)

tjb6nbr03mg1.jpeg

• Baller

@H2Oski17 A really cheap / trashed pontoon may be interesting investment if you think you will need Mess with the course much. You can lay on the front and hang your arms down to “walk” along the mainline.

Also less concerned about mud/muck and scratches...

• Baller

Welp....update on resurrection...I guess all things have a useful life. The poly rope from anchor-pregate-entrance gate was actually OK I was initially optimistic but once I finally got to the stainless mainline (which was at least 1/2in thick!)..it was shot. The Pic says it all. Though I could follow the airline to recover all the accusink subs I’d need to scuba (Depth avg 20 and zero vis and who knows how much fishing tackle, gators) and I’ve decided to leave them for now overlay a floating course.

Since it’s public water, I’ll be at the mercy of DNR, vandals, etc. After using it I’ll take turn balls off. I expect boat guides to eventually disappear. I’ll probably just replace those w jugs via attrition. If I get a cease/desist from DNR I’ll probably go back and recover the accusink subs.

It would be handy to have a work pontoon! hrnzrr2xucyv.jpeg

sksmhv09e65u.jpeg

• Baller

#CourseisComing!

Due to a generous loan (indefinitely so long as the course is used to introduce others to slalom) of a stainless mainline from a private ski lake owner in upstate SC, I’m well on way to getting a course. I’ve had ample time to get materials and start the process...Who said unemployment due CV19 was all bad!

All going well but I am trying to figure out how I’m going to tension the Mainline...what works?

Obviously one gently pulls (w boat in idle) before dropping final anchor....but what if additional tension required.

I’m thinking of doing the “tent stake” style tensioning on the poly rope off the anchor.

I’ve read about bungees, come alongs, hanging an weight halfway between anchor and 55s. What is simple/effective?

FYI The solo cups filled w Great Stuff will be my sub bouys below turnballs and also mid-PVC bouyancy if needed. Forgive any sideways photos... The forms for the anchors incorporate garden hose on both sides to run rope. Anchors will be about 115 lbs.fcde8l4om2xm.jpeg

c1z6ppjk7byk.jpeg

xc2hew7rozy0.jpeg

h7pal3b7kjhq.jpeg