Dock Spiders

SkiJay

• Baller

Just about every ski session starts with a face full of spider web as I walk onto our Florida dock with my hands full of gear. It usually doesn't bug me that much, but every now and then, it makes me want to punch a spider in its hairy little face.

If you even bother trying, how do you control the spider population on or around your dock and boat?

• Baller_

Jay,

To eliminate and not see them again for a year or better, use Termidor SC. Purchased as a liquid in a 20oz concentrated form. Mix with water as per directions. Sprays clear and stays clear when dry. It is oil based I believe (not oily to touch at all...can't even detect it) and that's why it last so long and more so under cover. But as it is oil based I would not spray dock with boat in slip or anything you think will not be good. I've done this to my dock here in FL and have only had to do it once every 18mnths or so. The cost seems steep for the little bottle but it makes a ton of product. You will not run out. I would not spray in areas often touched by hands or skin. Or wash off those areas with a light degreaser after.

What's interesting is they have found spots I cannot spray. Webs will go from under the dock to the bottom of the boat at times. But really don't care as it is rare and they get dunked when the boat goes down...then the fishys gettm. Revenge is sweet.

example of a quick google search for it:

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/termidor-sc-p-184.html?zmam=70093104&zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=184&gclid=CMi2tN6PjsECFdDm7AodSlsAlA

• Baller
If you have aquatic life that you would like to protect, be careful not to allow any pesticide to drift into the water. Especially if it has a residual affect (Termidor SC). Using a Windex- type spray bottle will allow you to focus your spray exactly where you want it. Wear nitrile gloves, long sleeves and pants, eye protection, a hat, and even a respirator if you have one. That's pro style!

• Supporting Member

@MattP @SM The female doesn't look familiar, but the first one pictured is fairly common in both MA and (even more so) PA. Those way-zoomed pictures can be a little misleading, though. The total diameter of the legs is usually around 2"-3" with maybe an occasional huge one that goes 4".

Can give you a good scare because they remain stationary for hours at a time and then move very suddenly. Even saw one grab an unsuspecting dragonfly one time. But I've never heard of anyone being harmed by one.

• Baller_

@jipster43 that is a great point. A small spray bottle is exactly what I use. Along with gloves, protective eye ware and the like.

@SM nothing like that exists on my dock in FL... If it did, my family would never set foot on it. Wow.

• Baller

Ortho Home Defense works pretty well. You can also go to a spray distributor for agricultural application and buy some of there stuff. Some of it requires a spray license, but they also sell over the counter stuff that works on critters that don't groom themselves (meaning the residual that they walk thru never makes it to killing them cause they don't use their feet to clean or groom themselves.

We have had about 3-4 LARGE BLACK WIDOWS this year. One was actually on my boat trailer safety chains............. Other was on a garage door and a third was on the pool deck. Some winter/summers seem to bread these things more than others!

• Baller
I have an old friend that just moved to Seattle area, and has invited us out for a visit. I have only passed through on business and hit the tower and a pier restaurant. Looked like a nice area, sans black widows!

• Baller

Spiders rock! Each one is worth a couple dollars of insecticide over its lifespan. When the mosquitoes out here carry west nile or encephalitis, anything that kills mosquitoes is welcome. Sweep the spiders out of the way while acknowledging their value. If you spray, be careful not to contaminate the water and kill your mosquito fish.

Eric

• Baller
I use some stuff Darwin suggested. It's called Suspend SC. I am sure the active ingredient is the same as the other SC stuff mentioned here. I hit the dock, garage, shop, and porches. 2 gal spot sprayer. Leaky wand, no gloves, no mask, usually dripping down my arm. I notice I don't usually have any bugs on me though.

• Baller
FWIW, I really don't mind spiders. Like @eleeski‌ says, they do a lot to keep the other bugs in check. I don't mind the garden being full of them, and relocate the ones I find in the house to the garden. I certainly don't feel good about resorting to chemical warfare either, but I just want to reclaim the dock and boat from them to avoid the daily mess of webs all over everything including in my face.

• Baller_
I'll add that FL spiders crap like dogs. Ok maybe not that much but they make a mess of things. Before I murdered all the little bug eaters, I would never consider leaving the boat uncovered overnight. Death was the only viable solution. Besides we have tons of bats....there's the true volume bug control.

• Baller

Found this bad boy on the front of our house. The internet suggested that they produce 1000s of young and are particularly known for house invasion. I would have killed it in an instant, but my much kinder, gentler wife insisted on catch and release. I am hoping it stayed in the woods across the street!

r5157ayitqy5.jpg

• Baller
@SkiJay‌ Spray the whole thing down with Tempo SC - use a backpack style sprayer, one with both volume and pressure capability and really wet everything down. It will take care of spiders and keep mud daubers from making nests. PS Kills fire ants too.

• Baller
I am not worried about spiders or snakes for that matter. The thing on my dock that scares me the most is my damn wife....giving me grief for skiing yet again! Is there some sort of spray that can make that one move to a different location?

I use Hot Shot Foggers/6 on my porches, garages basement, storage sheds and roof on the dock, the product lasts for the entire season as long as 12 months for me. No gloves, glasses or any protection necessary. It's cheap and it's available at Home Depot, Lowes and Wal Mart. Look for the green box. I suggest using generously and buy plenty. If I see any signs of ants or any bugs I just hit 'em again... Use of the product has completely changed outdoor living for me.

• Baller
@Wish Good stuff you mentioned, the Termidor. We make it where I work in so GA. Made esp for termite treatment, but works awesome on most other insects. Too bad I couldn't get my hands on some off-spec cheap.