Skiing in salt water

ozski

• Baller
I have the option to ski open water in a salty river which I have done on my trick with the outboard.. The river is 5 mins drive from my home but I can't bring myself to put the Malibu in salt... or my slalom ski. 10 minutes drive up river is some glassy water, good for open water practice but no slalom course. And then there is the bull sharks that live in the river.. Its never going to happen but plenty of social skiers make use of it... Who does this?

Strap on a pair. Loads of us skiing on the river Swan in Perth where there are bull sharks. You're never going to see them.

As for the salt, run the engine through thoroughly and wash down properly after each use and there's no problem. That said, my fin block did cease up from over a year in salt water and never being opened up. Now I take it apart each month and rinse out properly.

• Baller
I'll add that if your trailer isn't galvanized, the water will do a number on it in a hurry - wash it down after it goes in salt water every time and it will slow the deteriation process...a little...bull sharks? That's commitment

• Baller

Your boat and ski are replaceable. You can never get time or lost opportunity back. Salt issues are way down the list of things that really matter.

Bull sharks are not great whites but the local lifeguards will have the best advice. Worry about the real risks - like driving on the wrong side of the road.

Have fun with it.

Eric

• Baller

@ozski‌ I would never loose the chance to ski a body of water so close to my house, salt water is not a big issue. I have to drive at least 100km to ski. On the other hand the worst critter is a viper which is very rare and it is not that venomous and you would probably never see a shark in your lifetime despite the fact I live in a sea country.

I would however trade all these for the proximity to the water, have fun ski that salty waters!

• Baller

And they are in the US as well -

The bull shark (Carcharhinus leucas), also known as the Zambezi shark or, unofficially, as Zambi in Africa and Nicaragua shark in Nicaragua, is a requiem shark commonly found worldwide in warm, shallow waters along coasts and in rivers. The bull shark is known for its aggressive nature, predilection for warm shallow water, and presence in brackish and freshwater systems including estuaries and rivers.

Bull sharks can thrive in both saltwater and freshwater and can travel far up rivers. They have even been known to travel as far up the Mississippi River as Illinois,[2] although there have been few recorded freshwater attacks. They are probably responsible for the majority of near-shore shark attacks, including many attacks attributed to other species.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bull_shark

• Baller
Hi Ral, Coomera is about an hour or so to the south of us. There is a good freshwater site there, I know they ski on the river as well which is brackish water. My main ski site is of course ozskiresort which is a 14 minute drive to the north, fresh water, Nautique 200's and 4 courses to choose from. The salty icky Maroochydore river is the just plan B, I can also hook up the boat and drive 40 or so to public lake hell... We are not short of options, there are just days when I cross that river and its soooo flat...

I ski in saltwater. As far as the ski itself I am sure it is impervious but maybe a manufacturer can confirm or correct. I suspect my boots might degrade quicker but after two seasons I can't tell. We wash and flush everything rope vest gloves and of course the boat and trailer. We just got a newer boat and trailer and I have put anti corrosion inhibitor on it but we have only been down there the last two weekends so time will tell but previous trailers have shown almost immediate signs of exposure. So far with the new trailer being coated has shown no signs of corrosion.. We also flush the engine on the boat. 2 older boats one showed some dedragation in the headers and some metal components like the engine mounts that will show some rust but these are just superficial cosmetic things. It's definitely some

• Baller
Skied saltwater once, took about 3 sets in freshwater to get everything rinsed out, that's even after I washed it right after. And skiing in saltwater I found feels crazy faster then freshwater. I knew it was going to be different but didn't think that noticeable

• Baller

There are a good number of ballers here in San Diego who ski mostly in saltwater. We use lots of water to rinse off the boat and ski gear, then flush the engine a solid 5 minutes. Disassemble your fin block and take the bindings off every few weeks for a good rinsing, just like @Moggie suggested.

As for the boat, some of us inspect our exhaust risers annually, and reassemble with fresh gaskets. The risers usually need replacing every couple hundred hours, even with most "freshwater cooling" systems. A dripless shaft seal is worth every penny in saltwater. A few of us douse our engines and drivelines with Corrosion Block every few months. A can is about $20 US, and I think it delays, if not outright prevents, expensive repairs down the line.

Your painted steel trailer is on borrowed time in saltwater -- galvanized or aluminum rigs are the way to go. Most of us run disc brakes because drum brakes basically melt away in a few months, even with diligent rinsing. Some of us use Salt Away or the equivalent, others say it's a waste of money. Your mileage may vary.

Saltwater skis faster than fresh. You ride higher in the water and it just feels more slippery. The nearby desert lakes feel like molasses at first.

We don't have bull sharks that I know of, but we do have jet skiers and rowing team coaches in small chase boats that throw rollers into our course from the no-wake zone they train in. Your bull sharks are probably far more intelligent, sociable and pleasant to deal with.

• Baller

I ski about 30% on salt water, it's faster but when conditions are great my scores are about the same as on fresh water.

I do not own a boat so all I have to do is taking care of my gear, I rince everything very well, use my air compressor to blow the water from the Silvretta and fin box and treat Silvretta and fin box screws with silicon grease regularly. No rust no corrosion whatsoever.

To me skiing in sea water is very refreshing and in off season does not get as cold as lakes I usually ski in.

When people say salt water 'skis faster', do they mean:

It feels faster meaning they're probably going a little slower and running late...or...you are actually travelling faster, in which case it would probably feel slower since it’s easier to run early?

• Baller
In salt or brackish water WD-40 is your friend. Hit any and all fittings, mounts, bolts etc with a quick spray every now and then and you won't have nearly the corrosion/frozen bolts that you would normally encounter in these types of environments.

• Baller

Anti seize on any bolt you remove as well as the WD40 on the outside.

My boat spent several winters in salt with never getting flushed. The summer in the Salton Sea (saltier than ocean water) did plug up the manifolds and cause an overheat. But I wasn't around when it happened - I would have noticed before any damage.

Salt water feel is on par with the differences between warm and cold water. Just ski.

Eric

• Baller

@SDNAH2OSKIER‌ - I'm one of the weekend morning crew. We're in a blue and white '98 SN, but there are several regulars there whose boats fit that very description.

@Moggie‌ - What @eleeski‌ says is true. I go for weeks or months on salt, then do a weekend or a tournament on fresh. I find I have to be careful at first because the ski seems to sink more readily. On the pullout or turn-in, it feels like I could "mush" the ski if I'm not careful. After the first couple turns everything feels normal. Just ski. Best advice ever!

• Baller

@PBD‌ WD40 might be your friend on the boat but not on my ski. The new hardshell systems have galvanized or painted steel parts such as buckles and release mechanisms, wd40 will eat the top layer and expose the metal to the elements quicker. Silicon spray and silicon grease is definitely your friend.

If you want to unscrew a rusted Silvretta release then yes WD40 is your friend.

Fin clamps and other aluminum parts that use stainless screws suffer from electrolysis and the thing is to use grease or silicon grease (before using it on any kind of water) to create a film layer between aluminum and stainless steel.

Try to use silicon based products, they are not petroleum based and they do not harm rubber or plastic.

Best thing is to use these from when ski is new and after any use. Your ski will look great with no rust or stack screws and adjusting fin or bindings will be as easy as when new.

I agree with @eleeski‌, it is like skiing warm-cold water, no big issue.

• Baller
Ski 70% of my time in salt water (lagoon) and I have done my PB in training in salt water. Also my tournament PB is the same on both fresh and salt water (for the last 3 years however I have not compete in a tournament held in salt water). Feels a bit faster but when water temperatures are above 86F it is easier.

• Baller

I bought my Malibu here in California. 550 hours and a fair price. Put it in a salt water lagoon 15 minutes away in February. This year so far has been one of the most fun in my life. Waterskiing so close 3-4 days per week. I rinse and power wash boat and trailer with salt away. Installing a closed system this winter, which will protect the engine but not the risers or headers. Lots of good information on Malibu crew.com.

Being able to ski regularly and close is priceless. Non galvanized trailer will be toast in 5 years because it is tubing. c channel trailers fair better and galvanized c channel is the way to go. My ski buddies boat is a 20 year old mastercraft with mostly salt usage. He has replaced the risers and trailer parts but still runs well.

So what is it worth? I wouldn't trade this year waterskiing for the price of the boat.

• Baller
Gonna be freeskiing with my brothers out on Hood Canal in Washington this next week. Has always been a fun place to ski. Hanging out in the water after a ski, and having the sea lions pop up their dog like heads to check you out from a distance, looking at the Olympics, flat calm water that is easy to rip around on as you are riding so high, . . . fun stuff.

• Baller

I love my seaside holidays in Greece.

Skiing is much less efforts, ski feels wider, sits higher on the water and less drag.

First rides at home spot on the river feel a ski dragging a ton of water...

And... if I knew that creature with good appetite watching at me from the depth... will never fail water start ))