Quick Set Two

rodltg2

• Baller

I am more than likely to put an offer on this property soon as the lease on our house is up soon and I already sold my other two homes.

I like the property as it is , Nice house plenty of room and a good location. But a ski lake option would be a bonus.

I walked the property yesterday , along with some Google earth measuring and it looks like I could fit a lake similar to quickset Canton Mississippi. I could fit a 1250 foot length by 180 feet wide. At the ends there's enough room for two doglegs up to 280 feet wide. However both doglegs would be going in the same direction vs opposite which would be ideal. I actually like the idea of having a smaller lake so it would reduce costs and maintenance and less likely to be detected on the radar. I'm not a hard-core Skier or competitive and I would like to use the lake recreationally outside of just slalom alone.

So my questions are:

Well Capacity : propert has two wells one for the house and one for irrigation I have not found out the output on them yet waiting to get that information back. What would be the minimum needed to fill this size of the lake and keep it at a good levels during the summer months?

Course : i'm thinking 4 buoy . With the dog leg on one end putting the skier out to the right side I think it would be impossible to get lined up properly in time before the course like they do a quick set.

Any other thoughts / advice. I know it's a crazy undertaking and it's gonna cost a lot more than I think. I'm hoping to get a buddy of mine is been involved in three lake projects to come out and walk the property with me as well to make sure this is all suitable Even if I don't end up putting a lake on the property I think I still really would like it so it's not a deal breaker.

• Baller
My two cents....that is a lot of money to build a short-course 4-ball double-dog-leg lake that doesn't really do what you want it to do. I wouldn't guess that a slightly smaller lake would be any less work than a regular one.

• Baller

There is a will, hoping to find a way. I have no problem with the 4 buoy , I like the idea. Here is a lake that I have no idea what it is used for. Its about what I am thinking I could do, but a bit wider.

38°53'16.93" N 121°25'16.64" W

• Baller
The old GL Ski school up in Michigan had one end dog leg where the boat turned left into the course and it took a while to get used to it, but it was skiable. Before pre gates too. They held a few pro events there.

• Baller
Once you get the dog leg entry dialed in you're good. My tourney pb was at John's Pond good enough for 3rd at the 96 NJ states. My first tourney was at Johns - the 89 NJstates - fell at 1 ball. The Iron Man tourney's there were great fun! One round of slalom at John's, followed by a 20ish mile bike ride to Twin Lakes, and then round two. I would like to see the Iron Man tourney return.

• Baller

Upon further investigation, I think I have problem or it may be a good thing. If you look at the picture you can see crevices where water drains thru the property from neighboring properties.

Can I pipe the streams into the pond and at the south end put in a pipe with a valve to release water ? My concerns as I assume this is all run off from farms and ranches, that the water is not clean. The current owner an neighbor told my that in the wet months , water is draining thru the property constantly.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/rodltg2/ranchhouse_zpsfdcfe50e.jpg

• Baller
You will want to get permits and get your PRE information done FIRST! Water is a tricky and complex thing when it comes to the Army Corps of Engineers. You can't just "stop" water without any type of permit, it will need to be examined and reviewed by them and most likely the California EPA. If you can hire an engineering firm who has done permits before (ie in the last 2 years) you can save yourself a bunch of heartache/headaches. Before you buy that property be sure you can actually put a "pond" on it. If it was me I'd invite the ACOE and Calif EPA as well as the permit folks to the site and tell them what you want to do and ask their input. Might be a pain at first, but in the long run you will earn some goodwill since you took the time to run it by them first. If you have patience that is a good thing ........!!!

• Baller_
@AB, I have video on YouTube of ESPN Hot Summer nights covering the pro tournament at GL in Michigan (was actually called Lake Maureen and is near Charlotte/Lansing). That is also the place I took my first slalom lessons. The site was later leased by a club. About 4 years ago or so, the owners stopped leasing it. I believe it is currently unused - what a shame. I thought it skied very well.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
@skoot1123 makes some very important points. In constructing our lake we had a 3' x 300' depression along a fence line created by cattle walking. Army Corps required us to buy into a mitigation bank to offset the loss from constructing the lake. Army corps saw no value in the 12+ acre wetland we were creating. Army corps as well as the CA State Water Resource Control Board take loss of waters of the United States very seriously. The fines they levy for violations are absolutely mind blowing. I would suggest contacting a biologist to at a minimum do a wetlands determination. It is expensive to play by the rules but is nothing compared to the potential costs of fines levied and reconstruction to the original site condition.

• Baller

@garyh20ski - we did the mitigation thing too ~400 trees that we planted last fall. When it matures it'll be a REALLY nice walking trail...... instead of farm ground which it was before the mitigation.

@richarddoane - true, but if there is the threat of a club disbanding or becoming non-existant you gotta do what ya gotta do.

@rodltg2 - would you be daming up some water or would you be digging the lake on level ground? That will make a big difference with the ACOE as well. (Don't get too discouraged)

• Baller
Just got back information from the county. They said no problem digging a "pond" no permit needed. But they did have records that the drainage is considered a legal stream. So as long as I do not dam or alter its course , the pond is okay. Well, the stream goes pretty much down the middle, so I am out of luck on this one. Gonna pass on this as I don't know what I would do with 10 acres of nothing.

• Baller
Why couldn't you have a drain off at some level to protect your banks from high water that continues the natural flow? Once the water reaches your fill point, any excess that came in would just flow out the other end. The pond that I ski at in Haskins Ohio pretty much did exactly that. He pumped water into the lake from a nearby stream, and then has a runoff that dumps back into the stream that meanders around in the country.