For those that are still skiing, current Baller Index?

popof

Hey Guys, just had a coooold set yesterday trying out my new wetsuit and it actually felt pretty warm, I would've thought it felt colder and was pretty pleased, my season might have just won a couple of weeks provided things don't go too bad weather wise ;).

So i was wondering, what's your current baller index (for those that are still skiing, and in the northern hemisphere obviously!)

• Baller

6 sets in 45 water and air ???

We may have a winner right there!

Pulling the boat,bouys,lift and docks today.Calling for 74 tomorrow but work is in the way.

It's Canadian Thanksgiving here.

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

Back in the late 1960's, when I was working on becoming a Professional Student, until I finally got a Real Job, I tended to

go later and later in the season. Which was at a ski site that I had on the Connecticut River near Hanover, NH. Mainly

doing jumping, which you can do in more or less frigid conditions if you don't fall or pass.

One year, extending too far, the river froze up. And the nearest launch ramp was several miles away upstream. Fortunately,

about December 5th, things warmed up and the river broke up temporarily.

Today, Columbus Day, is probably about as far as the season Up North should be extended on a rational basis. Time for Florida.

• Baller
Back in the day, late 70s early 80s, before any of us had wetsuits and gloves we would do beach starts and stops from the coves on Patcong Creek in Somers Point NJ. Sometimes I would wear a wind breaker for warmth under my vest. We'd try to ski into late Oct early Nov.

• Baller

We will ski until we get to many days of freezing.

Boat will freeze.

We Vikings still consider water sort of warm.

Still only use my camaro 2mm wetsuite.

Water is approx 48 F and air same.

BI calculator does not work for Celsius.

10 C is 50 F.

10/10 C give BI -50

50/50 F give BI 0

Hope to ski again tomorrow.

Question

My ski behavies different.

Feels like it is faster now?

Is that normal when temp drops?

• Baller
BI does not work for Celsius, but in Fahrenheit last Saturday was 72 and at sea sites where water temperature does not drop that fast was 90. Hopefully it will get better as we have experienced an early and sadden drop in temperature from mid of September till now!

• Baller
Sunday was my last, air 48 water 52, just made the 100 rule. Shorty suit was barely enough, coldest body part was the hands from the wind chill. Just free skiing but had to drop and rest a couple times after 30-40 turns. Still some nice foliage along the shoreline but most of the leaves are down here in the Adirondacks. Boat came out yesterday, oil change & winterized, wash and clean interior in the next week or so then into storage for the winter. On to snow ski thinking.

Water and air in the 50s before I left indiana to come grab a few late season sets at pickos. It's gonna seem really cold when I get back home. I'm going to try to ski at least 1 set in November before we yank the course- more if I can find someone to ski with that doesn't require bath water. if I get back in March then somehow it seems better psychologically if there are only 3 months out of the year when I don't ski.

If there are any cold water skiers who want to ski with me send me a PM- I'm 45 miles NE of indianapolis

Hey @MattP ! Well it does work since it provides something.

Now that something is incorrect.

For example, 15 deg Celsius is 59 F.

15 and 15 C in the BI Calculator will give -23

59 and 59 F in the BI Calculator will give 30.

So the calculation behind it is not working ;) If someone gives me the formula for Farenheit i'll be more than happy to convert it to Celsius, or at least try ;)

• Baller

@popof‌

Someone made the formulas last year. I can't remeber who. Here is the equation I am using for the BI in C. If you want to improve it be my guest and I will update the calculator. Possibly a job for @Than_Bogan‌ as well.

(((AirC+WaterC)-37.8)*3)

For reference here is the BI equation for F.

(((AirF+WaterF)-100)*1.667)

Ok Cool!

Well if i'm not mistaken, there was indeed a slight miscalculation.

My result would be: [ 9*(Ac+Wc)/5 - 36]*1.667

Attached is the calculation written on my iPad, with

Ac and Af Air in Celsius and Farenheit

Wc abd Wf Water in clesius and farenheit

And Basic formula : F = 9C/5 + 32

tnt64t4dhgrt.png