crazy scores in the Carolinas last weekend

Horton

• Baller
Funny you mention that, Jeff's was taken out near the buoy so it was not an issue as far as the rule goes but we had a very in depth discussion about another call that was closer to the boat guide line and this rule was debated a good bit of Sunday before Jeff's ever came in to play. Based on our discussion it seems that a number of recent half buoy scores perhaps should have been scored whole buoys that skiers did not ski away from and perhaps some whole buoy scores that skiers did ski away from (but took the slack hit behind the boat) should have been given a half as opposed to the whole buoy score they received. I read this rule over and over on Sunday and we had a lengthy discussion about it, I probably still need to read it a few more times.

• Baller

"1 point when the skier has crossed the line of the gate buoys before passing the level of the next buoy with a tight line under the power of the boat."

To me: the skier can have all the slack in the world, but if it is a tight line when he (in this case) crosses the left buoy line with his front foot: full 2 score .

Means he can't show the boat the handle.

If the rule is intended that there can never be slack, it needs to be re-written.

If judges think it means their can never be slack, it need to be re-read

• Administrators

Correction to my above post

If you have slack before the first set of boat guides and then cross that line after the slack comes out you get a full buoy.

If you hold on to slack inside the boat guides you get a half even if you magically ski away.

6 is different because there isn't enough time to do an S turn.

• Administrators
Richelle told me that a skier who body slides naked across the centerline, stands up and pulls trunks back up will get whole ball

• Baller

The interesting part of the rule is that as long as the line is tight when the skier reaches the boat guide line then the skier gets a whole buoy even if the skier explodes at the centerline of the boat path (and does not ski away).We have been interpreting as if the skier is in control at the boat guide line. That is no longer part of the rule. We had several controversial calls and protest regarding this rule. Many of us learned something this weekend.

• Baller
Yes, but Jeff knowing the rule before hand and from what I saw, the score is 2, all judges scored 2. At this point it's up to the boat path video. I can say that the 41 had to be tough to drive based on what I saw. Most people on site were part of the rule discussion including all the judges prior to the event starting on Sunday.

• Baller

Straight from the IWWF rule book, AWSA rule book is the same wording.

14.07: Scoring Buoys

A buoy not missed is scored as follows, up to the point of the first miss:

a) 1/4 point when the skier crosses the line C-D AND the X-Y line in a skiing position (12.03).

(See sketch).

b) 1/2 point when the skier has re-crossed line C-D in skiing position (12.03) before the level of

the next buoy or end gate.

c) 1 point when the skier has crossed the line of the gate buoys (on a tight line under power of the

boat) before passing the level of the next buoy (or the end gate in the case of the final buoy)

without falling (12.02).

The intent of the tight line is to ensure the safety of the skier. This means that if the skier can only

cross the line of the buoys with a slack line then he will not get the full point so there is no reason to

try that. The end gate case is different because of the spacing and thus if the skier can cross the gate

line before the end gate buoy and ski away he will be awarded the full buoy. This specifically

means that the skier is permitted to have slack going through the exit gates. If the skier skis away

then they may continue. If the skier does not ski away, the turn ends and the skier scores 6 provided

they crossed the line of the boat buoys before the end gate with or without a slack line. The skier

may exit the gate with slack line.

A gate is not scored in any manner.

One thing I noticed this morning that I did not think about and we didn't discuss was that it appears that you can show the boat judge the handle behind the boat, at the end gate and receive the whole buoy.

• Baller

What do you mean by "show the handle"?

A few years ago I screamed around 4 ball at 38, blew threw the wake on slack, pointed at the boat and threw the handle. 3.5 was the score which I later found out was appropriate b/c I was not under tow of the boat. My mistake, I would have held on otherwise and taken the blow...now I know...for my health maybe best I didn't know.

I've also gone thru the end gates with slack and held on and was awarded the 6...I guess that was appropriate, too. Closest I've ever been to having slack take me off my ski (boat judge was really scared).

• Baller

I still think that there should be a 3/4 buoy score. If we can have 1/4, then why not 3/4?

Which would be when someone gets back into the wakes with a slack line, and then

releases it. That used to be scored as a full buoy back a few years.

Actually, On The Tour, this was a Rule Exception for a tournament or two, where you could

in fact earn a 3/4.

• Baller
@6balls, "show the handle" is what you used to see before the latest couple of rule changes. The skier rounds a turn buoy with a bunch of slack and realizes they don't want to take the hit or can't continue, so they ski behind the boat with slack and the handle in their hand but allow the boat to take the handle without offering resistance. This used to be awarded a full buoy at any buoy but now (as I read the rule) can only be awarded at the end gate.