Best wind protected sites in Orlando

wtrskior

• Baller

Planning a trip down to Orlando and I need all the help I can get. My last trip my sets got blown out (I still skied), thousands of dollars spent and lots of planning and I didn't walk away with anything but an appreciation for how the best skiers handle rough conditions. Wind was over 25mph every day.

So please post up the best protected sites (that the public can ski at) based on wind direction.

• Baller
LaPoint Ski Park and Mapple were pretty well protected. It didn't stop us from skiing at least. When my wife and I skied with KC Wilson at his home lake it was very windy - didn't run any PB's but I don't think we wasted money - gained some insight on running the course in less than ideal conditions AND learned about handle control. To me - it makes ideal conditions even better!

• Baller

Lapoint's place is pretty well protected. When I skied there Will Asher came over to ski because his lake was blown out.

Lucky has two courses on different shores on his lake so there should be some protection from different winds. It could still get blown out though.

• Baller

When I skied at The Boarding School about 4 weeks ago, Brooks commented that it was more windy than normal. It did seem a bit windy, but water conditions were excellent.

The best part was how great Brooks is with his coaching. He picks up everything in the mirror. More importantly, he knows how to explain things you can actually work on to make the needed improvements. Excellent coach for sure - well worth the trip to The Boarding School!

Also - a plug for an advertiser, Brooks uses a PTM 140 mirror - and that's how he is able to pick up everything you're doing while diving. I have my order in for the PTM 140 Pro (for my wife).

• Baller
I live near Orlando, just some info starting around fall our wind changes direction and blows from the East. During the Summer the wind is from the West. So take a look at a map and look at what side the lakes you are looking at are most protected from the wind. Hope this helps

• Baller
Pick and choose. Look at the forecast and choose your lake 2 days ahead. You will always get a ride somewhere. If you want coaching and great conditions I vote for Brooks, perpendicular lakes NS and WE.

• Administrators

@philip hughes‌ does not run a ski school but his little site across the street from Swiss is one of the best kept secrets in Orlando. He says he does not run a ski school but he might sell you a ride and if he tells you what is wrong with your skiing you should listen.

Oooo and it is protected from the wind