1995 prostar 190

slow

• Baller

This thread http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=14622&highlight=history+prostar+95-97

Gives a comprehensive review of this hull.

I owned a 99 MC SportStar CB which was the same hull as a 95 Prostar. It produces a great wake for skiing, tracking is just ok, particularly with only a driver onboard. The hull has fairly high sides for a closed by ski boat, a friend has a 98 SportStar likes this attribute for young kids.

• Baller
We owned a '95 and a '97 (same hull). Nice wake, no spray to speak of, but track/handle poorly in comparison to other boats of the time. The handling is actually really bad for a tournament direct drive, with a ton of body roll while cornering. I think that was the sacrifice to lose the spray of the '91-'94 hull. If you can find a mint '94, it's a better all around performing boat IMHO.

• Baller
It is generally accepted in the Mastercraft crowd that the 91-94 hull produced the best slalom wake. The '94s are pretty desired because they had this hull but also got EFI (only a few '93s had EFI, which came with the LT-1 engine upgrade). The 95-97 hull only has a slightly taller wake -- this was sacrificed to improve rough water performance. If you're a slalom nut on a private ski lake and are in the market for a early-to-mid '90s boat, the '94 MC 190 is probably your best choice. With that said, if you have a line on a good '95 at a good price you will not be sacrificing much.

• Baller
A 90-96 CC SN will track great, has great ergonomics and sightlines, no spray issues, is incredibly smooth and solid, and has a great wake. Something to consider unless you're die-hard locked into MC from that era. 90-92 CC still have wood stringers but I hear of very few, if any, rot issues on them. IMO still the best all-around bargain ski boat there is. Price range from 6-13K or so. Any more than that and you're getting into TSC1 97+ territory.

• Baller
If you can stretch to (and find a nice example of) a '97 CC with GT-40 (which is a monster) do it. A buddy has one I ski and drive with regularity and I've also had time behind the 91-94 MC's which do throw a great wake. The CC tracks better, has better sight lines, and has no short-line spray issue whereas the 91-94 MC's still start pelting the skier with spray at shortline (though better than their late 80's predecessors which also had great wakes but no spray relief chines and could absolutely blast the skier at shortline). Lastly, the '97 CC is bubble butt and the rope almost never guts hung up on the rear corners or platform while idling around the skier.

• Baller
One of my best ski buds has a '95 PS190 with LT1 and PowerSlot, get to ski and drive it regularly. One of my favorite boats to ski behind and drives easy, not an issue. Mostly hair splitting listed above, as usual... If you can find a good one at a decent price you won't be disappointed.

• Baller
I have a 93 PS-190, fantastic wake. Only complaint is spray at short line lengths with a breeze. The other boat I ski behind is a '98 CC w/ GT-40. It also has great wakes with no spray. The 190 drives like a sports car and turns on a dime. You forfeit some tracking ability for turning agility with the 190. The CC tracks great like it is on rails, but doesn't turn as quickly as the 190. Both are easy to drive and fun to ski behind. My season has been pretty evenly split behind the 190 and the CC.

• Baller
Thanks for the info everyone. The boat I'm looking at was seldom used and is in great condition. 250 hrs with the LT1? fuel injected engine 320 hp. Selling for $12,000. Test driving today. My friend buying it primarily free skis on a river but can run 22 off in a course. He is 6'5" 250. Hope it has a good hole shot.

• Baller
If the boat and trailer are in good condition then that is a great price for that boat. The LT-1 on that hull is very powerful -- your friend will not have any trouble getting pulled out of the water. Most of those boats had the 1:1 gear ratio rather than powerslot, but either way your friend will be fine. If the prop is the original you will be able to get even more hole shot by upgrading to a new CNC prop without losing much if any top speed.

• Baller
$12k is about right for that boat. There isn't much demand for that hull, like a TSC1, which is a great thing when you're looking for a slalom tractor. You see them between $10k and $14k-ish on boat trader all the time. FWIW, we had the 275TBI in our '95, and the LT1 in our '97, and I couldn't tell difference in performance. Post pics if you brought her home!!