Flattest Wake In The Future

A_B

• Baller
If there is some realistically workable method to stabilize the vessel so a driver can hold a straight line through the course, something like this could be a real game changer IMO. Potentially smaller boat (thinking tournament/private sites here) with a 6 cylinder or even a 4-cylinder engine, possibly even electric at some point. Potentially lower cost for the tow rig, lower operating cost etc. Comment from you engineering types here?

• Baller
the next generation will put individual drive units under water at the bottoms of the back 2 struts eliminating the center drive column. so two thrust points and two props producing almost double the pull power. with the right electronics the result will be better tracking ability through differential power applied between the two units but at the cost of higher power consumption.

• Gold Member

Ow! My eyes!!

Man is cable slalom inelegant.

@disland That doesn't work either. The length of the rope from the attachment point is a critical element. A cable puller at the other end of the lake is a very-slowly-reducing-but-effectively-infinitely-long rope. The attachment point must travel the desired path (including near to water level!) to be similar to our sport.

• Baller

In my lifetime of 55 years, everything gets better over time as humans strive for perfection. The change in boats, skis, and speed control, along with powerplants has been great in the last 40 years, and I suspect it will continue. We probably can't imagine what a ski boat and ski will look like in another 40 years. Some alternative power source will likely be involved, and continued weight reduction along with precision speed control and tracking will be likely. I still liked the rumble of my '77 SN going down the river, but I would much rather slalom behind and drive any of the modern era ski boats. That was only 37 years ago.

I have thought about an underground rail system that has a moving arm sticking up out of the water as a pylon that runs down the centerline of the slalom course. You could put wedges on the arm to create a trick or wakeboard wake, or no wedges for slalom. It would need to be attended by someone at each end to shorten the rope and start the arm back in motion.

Oh well, it must be winter..