Boat values

swc5150

• Baller

I'm looking to buy a boat by early spring, so I'm constantly searching to see what's out there. I may get some thumbs down, but I personally believe there's a lot of owner pride going on in the market place. With that said, I think these two ebay listings ended pretty much spot to what they should sell for. Even looking at SIA, it seems like a buyer's market with the qty of inventory of really nice boats. I understand that new MC and CC pricing should help older models, but I'd also guess a $35k 2013 CP would mitigate that some? Am I off my rocker here, or are people really selling their boats at a premium out there?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Correct-Craft-Ski-Nautique-196-/331366666528?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4d26fe1120&item=331366666528&pt=Power_Motorboats

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121476491126?forcerRptr=true&item=121476491126&viewitem=

• Baller
They are worth whatever someone will pay for them. Problem with boat pricing is that there are so few of each model/year available that it is hard to figure what the price should be. Couple that with new boat prices that get higher and higher every year. I bought a 2012 Malibu in Jan this year, I could pretty easily sell it for 5K more than I paid for it due to demand for that model and how crazy the pricing has gotten on the new ones.

• Baller
As long as the new boat prices are ski high and offer little advantage over a 196 the market is what it is. They are great boats. The CP if it is of consistent good quality and competes well with the big 3 over time should mitigate price. Hasn't yet. Also, asking price and selling price are two different animals. If a person starts low they can't ask for more later.

It took me 18 months to find a boat and that was searching every dealer and website on a regular basis "like every day". Ended up paying top dollar, but got a virtually new boat from an owner who was as much of a nut as me about taking care of his stuff. At the end of the day it was a fraction of the price of a new boat and when I decide to make a move I'll get most if not all of my money out of it.

• Baller

This looks like a fair deal...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Ski-Nautique-200-ZR409-49-hours-/201214446519?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2ed950cbb7&item=201214446519&pt=Power_Motorboats

Then there's this...

http://boats.smartcarguide.com/listing/48237591/

@oldjeep‌

That's exactly my point. I'll bet the majority of people on BOS could say they got a killer deal on their boat as well. I'm sure most of us know what a 196 sold for new too, either promo or straight purchase, so are ballers really paying close to same now as back then? I'm not slamming what people are asking, I just very curious as buyer.

• Baller

I'm not actually saying I got a killer deal when I bought the boat. I'm saying the prices for the used boats have really gone up that much in the last year. (At least the boat model I have - there isn't a promo program that dumps a hundred of these boats a year onto the market)

• Administrators

Full disclosure I have a business relationship with Centurion and am clearly biased.

The subject is a moral and ethical problem for me. I think a lot of Ballers are in the same position. If you ski USAWS tournaments and are friends with many committed skiers you know people selling boats. I do not want to “F!” my friends by speaking my mind about how wacky the prices are. There is also the fact that there is some inconsistency with some of boats. This forum is specifically moderated to not be negative so like I said it is a conflict for me.

Bottom line I think a lot of the prices out there are silly. 2009 196 for almost 40k? Really? 2014 ProStar for HOW much? Truth is the one ProStar that has been talked about a lot here on BallOfSpray has been massaged and is legitimately very nice and the owner is just trying to break even.

My 2014 6.0L Centurion had about 200 hours on it and sold for … I am not sure Centurion wants me to make it public but it is almost 20K less than the most expensive promo boats out there (options are part of that I guess). My 2015 will sell for $1500 to $2500 more than the 2014 => inflation. If you can get a last years Carbon Pro with 200-300 hours for mid 40s-ish why the hell would you pay almost the same for a 5 year old boat. You may not believe (and I cannot change your mind) that the Centurion is every bit as good as the other 3 brands but I am totally convinced. My wife will tell you I am a terrible liar so if I say so I believe it.

If you are going to buy a 5 year old boat I think a 196 is the best choice. Never seen a bad 196. It is the Mercedes 300D of slalom boats. I think a 09 Boo is also a pretty darn good and consistent boat also. Not sure I have seen a Boo in the last 6-7 years that I specifically disliked.

• Baller
@6balls‌ - that is a twin to our boat, but we just turned 1,000 hours this year. Alpine stereo which doesn't get used much. I'm wondering what ours is worth. I would guess $25k range plus or minus. Has a three year old trailer under it.

• Baller

This will make you all feel better about boat prices http://www.boatsales.com.au

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/dealer/OAG-AD-502622/1994-MALIBU-ECHELON?cr=6&psq=%28%28Make%3DMalibu%26%28%28%28SiloType%3DDealer%20used%20boats%7CSiloType%3DDealer%20new%20boats%29%7CSiloType%3DPrivate%20used%20boats%29%7CSiloType%3DDemo%20and%20near%20new%20boats%29%29%26Service%3D%5BBoatsales%5D%29&pso=0&pss=Premium

Supply and demand ..

• Baller_

What I find a lot on e-bay is "Reserve not met".

Depending on what area of the country one is in will dictate how firm prices are on used boats. Seems out on the left coast prices stay a bit firmer then that in the south.

Slalom tractors can be far cheaper to build then purchase of even the less expensive CP. There are Many very nice low hour late 90 Tourney (all composite) boats on the market waiting to be re-powered and put back in service as ZO equipped Ski Tractors. whats funny is many of our own ski buddys have fine great skiing older boats that are perfect platforms for the transformation but they seem to think they need to spend that extra $20K for a newer boat (over the cost of repower) and have in some cases a lesser boat then what they could have with their repowered old one.

Oh wait!!! The wake is different!! Now That's funny!

• Baller

I am a MasterCraft Promo owner and own the nicest 2014 ProStar you have ever seen. I didn't buy it to make money on the sale, so I'm selling it for what I have in it. I am part of the Promo team to help the sport grow.

What I read here seems like folks are only looking to buy at "yard sale" prices for a current or one year old boat. If that's the way things are going, Promo programs will suffer and next years season will be pulled by less than current year models. If we don't sell the 2014's, we don't buy the 2015's.

If you're in the market for a boat and do not have one to sell, then to price tag can scare you. If you have one to sell then you just factor the difference. I like to ski the "newest" skis and then sell the old ones and I think of the difference in dollars more like a rental fee. This way I get to ski the new one and the next guy gets last years model. The price is a deal but not a steal. Same goes for Promo boats, look for the "Deal" don't try to "Steal".

• Baller

I wouldn't say people only want to pay "yard sale" prices, but do want the absolute best/fair deal they can get, and if it's a steal, jump on it. A $40k '09 196 is not a fair deal. Paying thousands more than one could've purchased a boat for years ago is not a deal either, although maybe necessary if one really wants a discontinued boat model.

I paid $27.6k for my brand new '06 196SE. That was a steal, I knew it, and jumped all over it. Same with my next 2 196's. Buying a promo member out of their boat is usually a fair deal for buyer and seller. With that said, I'm not willing to pay more than I have to just to keep the promo programs going. Anyone who claims they wouldn't look for or take advantage of a steal isn't being honest. Price tags scare me when I know they're inflated. This is just my opinion of course, and nothing more.

• Administrators

@Jody_Seal‌ My 91 MC skis great. It looks like ass and its previous owner changed the fluids but never washed it. All it really needs is a repower to be a legit training tool.

Heck if we put in magnets I would ski Perfect Pass with it (for a while)

• Baller
I agree, older boats can be had for a fraction of the cost and can adequately fill the needs of most. A few upgrades and most of those boats will provide quality pulls for years to come. I run an '89 centurion falcon, it's still one of my fave boats to ski and drive.

• Baller
The 196 is the only non current hull that I like to ski. As for boat prices, they are high, no two ways about it. I spent far more on my ProStar than I've ever spent on a car. Yet somehow I justify it with my crazy passion for the sport, my desire for ZO and my infatuation with the looks and all the great features. The issue for everyone is that getting a current hull with ZO is expensive. Plain and simple.

• Baller
Just looking at the 2014 boats for sale on SIA, and there are 14 TXi's, 10 200's and 22 Prostar's. Is that an abnormally high inventory for the previous model year? With annual price increases, is it noticeably harder these days to turn a promo?

• Baller

The "steals" usually have issues or are scams(see thread re: utah boat with flood damage)...occasionally not as some people take really good care of their stuff, want a happy buyer, and don't have the patience to have it "for sale" for a long time...it's a Ross disease inherited from the Old Man.

In my view a great deal is a perfect condition boat from a meticulous owner at far less than it would cost me to buy same make/model or equivalent performance new.

Thanks @swc5150. The boat always gets lots of compliments. And everyone that has driven it has been really impressed. Definitely a good one.

I'm a big fan of eBay whether I'm buying or selling. It does offer a bit of price transparency in an otherwise opaque and very illiquid market. A little talked about bonus is that eBay does offer some protection for the buyer. http://pages.ebay.com/motors/buy/purchase-protection/index.html The buyer is certainly better off doing the transaction through eBay than not.

I just relisted my boat. http://www.ebay.com/itm/121488757857?forcerRptr=true&item=121488757857&viewitem=

If the bids are similar to my last auction, the boat will sell. I was $900 dollars high previously, but at least there was some price discovery and anyone bidding on my boat now knows that there are buyers at my price point. Shouldn't have to take an immediate hit in value when buying a previously owned product on the private market. That should be expected when buying retail, from a dealer, but not when buying from an individual owner.