I found this very interesting.... Terry Winter transition

mrpreuss

• Baller_

@ab try simply moving your hips forward and getting your weight on your front foot without over complicating and worrying about rotation.

Look at Regina's stacked position - perfectly lined up over the middle of the front foot. If your pic was at the same angle, the line from your head thru your hips would land behind your rear heel.

Slalom improvement is all about fixing the weakest link in the chain before worrying about the next weakest link. At least from that pic, that's the weak link.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

Hip movement has always been tough for me. Years ago when Brandon Buçher was chasing the tour, he was working with me on "west coast" more open and rotating hips under you type stuff. I finally ran an easy 35 off doing it, which was normal for my regular style, but the next day my back and hips were real sore.

I have been trying to push my hips forward more and am aware of it, but have found if I pull my shoulder back slightly, it helps my hips to move. You may be able to move hips first, but I find it difficult.

Just thought this was a great photo of Regina in a stacked and countered position at Apex. Contrast to me abov, trying to stay more countered, with modified stack!

• Elite Skier

Seems to me that being stacked is way more important than the amount of counter. Into the turns, I like to think about just standing up taller rather than trying to push my hips forward. You want your entire body to line up over the center of the ski or front foot, not just one portion of it.

Too much "West Coasting" and you will take your body out of its natural, strongest alignment = sore back and weak leverage.

@twhisper‌, it's great to have the opportunity to read your advise. It's easy for me to forget some of it from our lesson a few months ago. I will work on that important hips, elbows sealed together, strong hook up after the finish of the turn, with more confident lean. Thanks again.

• Baller
I love the elbows glued to the chest. I started working on this a few years ago and wanted to add something that help me. I pin my elbows down right after I get up and as I go around the island. I over emphasize it. I keep them there as I pull out for the gate and to the extent possible in the course. I always keep them pinned as I drop as well. Build the habit every possible second. I am now very aware when I ski if I get separated. I feel that space between my elbows and chest and think "crap, that wasn't it" and pin em back down the next time.

• Baller_
@bishop8950‌ good to hear someone suggest using ALL the lake. I tell skiers all the time to use the space between end gates to sinking back in the water and tell them to DO something constructive. It is very eye opening to realize just how much time there is after, and sometimes before, the course. It is a time to practice form while not chasing a ball. Good advice!!

• Baller
@bishop8950‌ - totally agree with you. Use the portions of your ride before and after the course to instill good habits. I am always baffled by how many skiers pull out to drop by leaning back and away (causing too much load/too little acceleration) then tugging on the rope and releasing the load all at once as if that is what they need to do to get up alongside the boat. Pretty much not a feeling I want to experience and get into my muscle memory. We get such minimal time on the water to actually practice this sport (even if you get all the rides you want) that you'd better use the few seconds you do have effectively.

• Baller
@bishop8950 I totally agree. Fixing bad / building good habits is all about doing it right more times than wrong. With less than 17 seconds in the course, there is so much opportunity between the EXIT gate and ENTRANCE gate (read that again if you didn't catch the order the first time). Coasting, setting down, rounding the island, approach to pull out, glide before the gates - all of these are opportunities to do it right. Build the muscle memory so that eventually you don't have to think about stack during the course.

• Baller
Forgot how great a skier Jamie Buescham was. Such a smooth technique, straight arms and shoulders open to the boat, using his body to leverage angle/load on the ski. 2@43 on a Connelly F-1, only to have it striped away because of a missing camera. A pro event in France, The Malibu Open if I remember right back in 2007. If I remember right that was the second time his record score was over turned at another tournament. Sorry for hijacking thread.

Ernie Schlager