Mens World Record 3@43 possible?

mrpreuss

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

I have absolutely no doubt that 43 will fall. We as humans, continue to put limitations on what we can and cannot accomplish, and occasionally, a human comes along and pushes the insurmountable ceiling another notch higher, at which point, several others follow suit, because now they know it has been done. This video emphasizes this point beautifully. Interesting to note, within a year of the sub-4-mile being broken, numerous others followed suit. Now high-schoolers are running sub 4's, and the world record is now sub 3:30.

As a final note, look at course skiing even 25 years ago--back in the day of Grimditch, Duvall, etc, and it was a major feat running into 39.

• Baller
A full 3 can definitely be done. When nate ran 2.5 he said in the interview that he wanted 2.25, and seemed dissapointed in himself for going to high. The way I see it pro skiers like to be able to break the record annually so they get a paycheck every year, and it's a damn shame. Nate obviously wasn't trying for a full 3, but if he wanted it I'm sure he could've gotten it.

• Baller
Nate or CP. No one else is close. Those two run 41 every day in practice and they get a LOT of looks at 43 in practice and tournaments. Not saying it's impossible for someone else but 43 is shooooort. In order to make any headway you need a lot of looks at it.

• Administrators

Nate and CP are the obvious front runners but never count out Asher. He does not seem to get as many scores at non-pro events as Nate and CP. So the number of 41s in the book may not be a good metric. The buzz I hear is he is finally on a ski that is not all chopped up and that he is skiing very well.

Freddie Winter is not quite there yet but I expect him to be the next guy to run 41 unless Joel squeaks in first. Then there is that whole pack of guys at mid 41. From 3 @ 41 to 3 @ 43 is like a hundred million miles (barefoot in the snow) but ya never know when someone is going to have a breakthrough.

• Baller
If slalom skiing gets to a point where you have to be really athletic and over 6'6" tall then the records will stop being broken because all the guys who could do it will go into basketball where they can make some real money. It may be better for the sport to shorten the course (or increase the boat speed?) than to require an athlete to be in the top 0.5% of the height scale in order to have any chance at winning a tournament.

• Administrators

@andjules‌ Hmmm interesting. It would change the playing field at the very end in terms of score but to what end. The same skiers would be in top and they would just run a few balls.

How does this change anything?

• Baller
If everyone was getting stood up at one ball, I'd say it was not gonna happen. But, we are seeing guys getting to 2 in decent shape, so it's a matter of time and the whole pass will be eventually run. Not impossible.

• Administrators
I have heard the idea over the years that we should up the speed the boat after 39 or 41 so skier height is no longer as critical and to extend what is possible farther out. Not a terrible idea. I am not sure what Smith would run at 41 if the boat was going 37 or 38 mph.

• Baller
@Horton - Changing the boat speed is an interesting idea, boats are better now, skis are much better but we are still at 36mph which comes from the 1960's ? and much different technology - Might be interesting as a separate event just to see what if.

• Baller

Interesting idea to change the SL course dimensions, but such changes have been few and far

between, even starting from the Old Days. AWSA 1967 Rules change the endgate spacing to

30 yards from 45 yards. Around 1977-78, the metric dimensions became official, shortening

the SL course by nearly 5 feet.

Since then, changes have been mainly about buoy size, finally getting down to 20cm diameter.

There were some mega-buoys Back When. I remember trying to inflate AWSA buoys to 35cm

for a World-class event, and having some of them EXPLODE. Like a shotgun blast. Freaked out

my collie dog.

As said, I'm not sure when the metric course came in as AWSA official. However, I do remember

being at Horton Lake in February 1974 on another project, where I did the survey work while

Dr. Jack did the water work, and we changed to metric, so World Records could be set at that

site. Initially, the foot-dimensioned buoys were left in. We started at one end, and it was

interesting to see the courses diverge as we went along. (259m ≈ 849.7', vs. 855' with the

previous AWSA specs. (855 = 135 * 5 + 90 * 2).

Of course, it would be a goldmine for me if there was a major change in the SL course dims.

But, I doubt we will see it happen.

At one time, somewhat on the same topic, Carl Roberge was trying to promote "Giant Slalom",

to be done at higher speeds and on a stretched course. Not sure about the speed, but it was

to be a good bit above 36. Crashes would have been brutal.

• Administrators
@ozski‌ most of the elite skiers in the world live in Orlando so chances are records will be set in the US. As for the nationality of the skier right now 5 of 6 records held by US skiers but it is random.

• Administrators

@"Steven Haines"‌ I would have to see stats on all the top skiers but I would guess @twhisper‌ would gain enough rope to rule the field. On the other hand I don't believe an inch of height or reach equals an inch of rope length.

• Baller_
@Horton‌ may not be inch for inch but I will take enough rope to make me equal to CP, you get nothing and I will kick your a$$ all over the course. Ya, I'll take the extra rope for sure. @"Steven Haines"‌ that is a brilliant idea. One of the coolest things about @Mapple‌ last tournament was the total out of the box thinking for wacky 2nd (runm opposite side) and 3rd round rules. This would be perfect for next year as a way to see what would in fact happen. Could have 4-5 sections pre-made of different lengths, take skiers hight and give appropriate extension. For sure do this with the Pros but I'd love to see this for the AMs as well. It would be very telling.

Getting your ski TO 2 ball on a new length is one thing but turning two and having a shot at three definitely means that it is runnable - 43 will fall it is inevitable, not sure how long but those little one percenters like speed control, wakes, ski design, fins and athletes strength/weight will be ever further fine tuned to make it happen.

• Baller

@Horton: Make that 4 of the 6 'traditional' records held by USA skiers: MSL, MJU, WSL, WTR, with

the other 2: MTR and WJU held by BLR skiers. See:

http://www.usawaterski.org/pages/divisions/3event/iwwfworldrecords.htm

Very interesting however is that ALL World records, including Overall and Ski Flying, were set

in the USA, with most of them in Florida.

• Administrators

@wish part of why I am "ho hum" is that this idea has been batted around for 20+ years on the west coast. Perhaps it should be revisited.

My thinking is:

I am 5'9" (almost) & CP is 6'4" I think. That is 7". Would I like 7" more on my rope? Hell yea! I would run a lot more 37'5" passes than I do 38 off passes. I can run 36'6" off all day.

By the time I get to 39 (where I am frankly overwhelmed) I am not sure 7" buys me a whole ball. Maybe if I was closer to running 39 it would be a big deal to me.

I have also heard it argued that taller skiers have a harder time holding their stack & shorter skiers like @twhisper‌ have an advantage at the wakes.

How tall is Nate? He is not a huge man.

More interesting is how long is Ashers reach? I am pretty sure his knuckles almost drag :-)