I hate to start another smear / side slip /slide thread but this image is very cool

Horton

• Baller

oh goody a thread about smear thats not too advanced for me. i think this photo from waterskis on line mag illustrates what i think * smear * is better than any i've seen. notice the track showing unmistakable tail slide well before the buoy and last half of the turn -

uwiihv3fojru.jpg

photo is on line here - http://www.waterskimag.com/olgallery/58930/58945

• Baller

@‌Horton are you asking about the water moving through the fin slot? What I see there looks pretty normal and won't have a big effect on the ski. What is interesting is that it looks like there might be a bevel transition on that ski at the toes of the back foot. Something is causing that spray pattern. Also the water coming off the tail is completely turbulent. That's not particularly abnormal, it's just cool note (the flow past the fin/tail is NOT laminar). The flow off the left side of the ski for the most part IS laminar.

Ok I'll say one thing about "smear". Now the ski is ALWAYS sliding, so it isn't a question of is the ski smearing or not, it's a question of how much and when. If I understood what Rossi was originally talking about, it was the idea that the ski rotates (smears, washes, slides, whatever) to the point that the tail is wider than your feet when you reach the ball. This is mostly a function of position relative to the boat, and the speed it took to get there. It is not about shoving the tail out. If you're coming into the ball late and narrow, the ski will still be pointing outbound as you come to the ball. If you get high on the boat early, you're already falling back on the boat when you reach the ball, and there is more time for the ski to rotate before the ball. Nate is the king of this and that's a big part of why his turns look so relaxed compared to most other skiers. He doesn't have to rotate the ski as much at the ball.

• Administrators

@wish I know for sure that ill advised carp crap on your boots will for sure catch water. The Radar boots from a few years ago had a flap that goes over your fore foot. I cut it off and did a crap job once. I left what amounted to a scoop on my boot. There is no question that it caught water and made the ski drag at apex. (the fix was easy but the lesson was clear.)

Now if buckles catch water and make a difference I do not know.

• Baller

Based on the width of the channel made by the ski at the ball, he was already well into his turn at the ball. It must have felt like he backsided it even though he's already 10 ft down course and hasn't yet hooked up. It really shows you how much you're moving down course even when everything is working like it should.

@Horton, what is the line length?

• Administrators

@DefectiveDave‌ first so all - if we are talking about the first image in this thread "He" is a pretty young French woman who looks like this

qvlgw4baji90.jpg

• Administrators

@DefectiveDave‌ Second - part of what is interesting about this image is that you can not see the orientation of the course. I think she did back side the ball is early and is not really down course but from this angle I think it is impossible to tell. There is no way to tell the line length. For a photo shoot I would guess 32 off (ish).

If you are saying that we are all going down course more than we think then I would say you are right on target.

If I am correct about the way I see this image - the fact that she appears to not be hooked is a credit to her skills. She is one of the best female skiers in the world.

• Baller

@Horton,

Ughhhh, now I feel like an asshole. I know there are so many great female skiers and I still immediately assume it's a dude when I don't recognize a name.

Anyway, it's a great photo and to me it looks like she's absolutely smashing the turn. That being said she still slides a lot in the water and goes somewhat down course despite being an amazing skier. It seems like a function of ski geometry more than anything else. The ski can only sink so much and therefore the water it can displace is limited, thus slowing the transfer of momentum which allows the skier to turn. I don't think that the sliding is reducing her cross-course velocity, but I do think it is reducing her space before each buoy somewhat. At the line length in the photo I'm sure it's a non-issue, but surely at 39.5 and 41 off every little bit counts.

Why not design skis to sink deeper in the turns and reduce the distance lost down course? Could it be a balancing act, maybe the features needed to make a ski turn on a dime reduce cross-course velocity? Based on Manon's balance and composure in that image I'm sure she could easily handle a more aggressive turn.