$5 Handle Guard

bowty

• Baller

I made this handle guard from a plastic basket that already had holes drilled in it. Cut off a side of the basket, measure out the triangle for the handle, and attach to handle with zip ties. There is roughly 3.5 inches between handle and bottom of guard, so plenty of room for your hand to move around. mi44gmvnkvep.jpg

skwombefrlnr.jpg

dr649eqrvsd8.jpg

• Baller

Nice!

I also make my own guard but with something a bit more flexible.

Just a friendly reminder to everyone to use a nail clipper to cut Ty-wraps so the edge is round and doesn't cut at all.

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller
3.5" of hand space is enough to let your arm in up to your elbow, which can create devastating injuries as well. I keep my handle guard with 2"-2.5" of clearance, and don't have any problems with mis-grabs due to the guard. Its better protection for arm through the handle issues.

• Baller

@Marco I agree with every word you've said, but it reminds me of a related point:

Personally, my skiing is adversely affected by a small gap. If anybody has the same issue as I've had, PLEASE don't use it as an excuse to use no handle protection at all. There are many methods that make the instant-death head-through scenario impossible while having no adverse affect even for us Princess skiers.

Alas, in life, there are tradeoffs. There are also times when people accept additional risk for NO benefit. Don't do that. :)

• Baller

The bungee from the guard to the handle will help keeping the guard from sliding too low, but like @Than_Bogans issue with a narrow gap, the strap to the handle kept getting in my way, so I don't use it. Occasionally I'll have to skootch the guard back up, but that is better than catching my fingers on the center strap while skiing.

And like @ski6jones says, measure for and install the guard while the handle is under tension, so it is assembled while in the shape it will be in while under load.

Another good material to make guards from are the thin, flexible cutting boards you can get almost anywhere, but you will need to drill your own air vents.

• Baller
I have used flexible garden fencing for the guard. It works great and adds virtually no weight or drag. I will be doing a few handles for friends come this spring, as a little fencing goes a long way. Learned the same lessons as pointed out above - I like the nail clipper suggestion for removing sharp edges.

• Baller

I have fallen so many times in weird positions. Never yet injured with any body parts through the handle. My secret? There's a toe harness filling in the Vee.

There's plenty of room to stick hands and arms (and sometimes even feet) around the harness. But even with the weird flailing that accompanies trick falls, parts tend to bounce off the toe harness. When tricking with a naked bridle, I've put arms through - but I've always been very paranoid and worked very hard to pull my arm out and avoid injury.

I use an Arm Guard for my slalom handle (a gift - thanks @AKShortline‌ ). But my travel handle is just a rope across the Vee. Get something to really reduce the risk a lot - even a strip of duct tape. Fancy handle guards look nice (but interfere with @Than_Bogan‌ 's grip) and protect against really rare falls a bit better. But anything is better than nothing.

@bowty‌ I've replaced the couple broken zip ties with thin bungee. Easy and not scratchy and allows some movement without breaking the plastic.

Eric

• Baller
The best and cheapest idea is what most skiers use at Okeeheelee. They use Gorilla tape. Measure down from the bar a distance you are comfortable with (4 or 5 inches). Measure across from this point and cut multiple pieces of tape. Apply one on the bottom and one on the top multiple times till you are satisfied. Roger Clark my have some pics.

• Baller
I've found Thomas to be very civil and professional the few times I have spoken with him. I actually kind of miss the positive aspects of his input on the forums over the years...Regardless, everyone should use some sort of handle guard, homemade or otherwise. Just because nothing has happened to you yet, doesn't mean its not going to. I knew one person personally who is no longer on the planet because he had no handle guard. I haven't skied without one since that terrible day.

• Baller

Does Thomas Wayne have a patent that stops everyone else from manufacturing and selling their own version of a handle guard? One could make a decent side business out of making one and setting up an online store so people could actually buy it without hassle. Sell them for 10-15 dollars and there you go.

Edit: Here is his patent http://patents.justia.com/patent/7959481 and http://www.google.com/patents/US7959481 also contains the images for it

• Baller
@Marco‌ One would think that if he went to all the processes of getting something patented he would make an effort to sell them, especially something like this that can actually save someone's life.

@bowty‌ at one time TW did sell them. I have one of his earlier versions. It works really well. TW's model was a bit pricey but as I said it works well, holds up well. I think he ended up banned from the site for being less than tactful when dealing with others wanting to make their own versions of a handle guard.

He did have good ideas and generally seemed interested in making skiing safer.

• Baller

tw is a family friend and still make the arm guard for anyone who bothers to inquire. the guys i ski with all use the real thing and i personally find it odd that so many seem so willing to put duct tape and laundry hampers on there $140 handles. especially in a sport where we worship $1600 skis and boats that cost more an a couple new cars combined. tw put in years of testing to develop his guard and can explain in detail why things like bungee cord arent safe for attaching to a handle and why the expensive plastic he uses is the safest. i dont care so much about that stuff as i do about the security i get from knowing i'm using the best protection against a potentially deadly problem.

fwiw the latest generation doesnt use zip ties and is super clean imo. i may not have a $60k boat but my handle looks good-

9grp53vf9fmj.jpg

• Baller

@mwetskier‌ The TW design does look a lot better, but $60 is pretty costly for something that can be made for a lot cheaper. I can't make my own version of a ski boat or a ski so those must be bought.

TW's would be practical if he started selling them regularly and was able to lower the price. $20 would be a lot better for that. Until arm guards are readily available, making one seems to be the more practical option.

• Baller

@bowty -not my job to sell handle guards or what ever but i do know that every one of the tw version is individually custom cnc machined to perfectly fit the customers handle. no one else does that as far as i know but hey who cares right? a sloppy fit unproven materials or questionable design is okay as long as its cheap cheap cheap. after all its just your head or arm were talking about here.

and according to another thread here there actually is a lot of interest in making home made skis -may be boats will be next. then overtons can go out of business and we can buy *all* our ski gear at walmart.

• Baller

@mwetskier‌ 99% of people on this site aren't going to make their own skis anymore. Heck, I can build my own fishing rod, but that isn't stopping companies from still selling them.

I think it is uncalled for that you are saying my handle guard is sloppy and made of unreliable materials, I believe that it is strong enough and well enough designed that it will get the job done. Come spring and if it fails, I will redesign it. Also I do not see how my design is "questionable," it's a plastic triangular guard that goes in the handle to stop any part of your body from getting injured. Nothing to question about that.

• Baller
@bowty -i didnt mean any of those comments at you directly and you are entitled to be as proud as punch of your marvelous workmanship. but you said you cant make your own ski or boat and i pointed out that you actually can do both of those things and there are people right here on this forum who do and others who have said they are going to try it. sorry if you took my comments the wrong way.

@mwetskier‌ You mention TW is still making the arm guard. This summer I tried a number of times to reach him to purchase my 3rd armguard with zero response. E-mail, and phone number did not get me anywhere. I would not mind ordering a new model as pictured above; he will have to make himself more accessible if he wants any business from other skiers that are not family friends. I have been very happy with his previous 2 guards I purchased I have the new ML ergo handle and would like a new guard for it. Obviously you speak to TW, please let him know i'm interested. PM me here if he will make me one. I know you should not have to track him down for his business if you decide to mention this, I really appreciate your efforts!!

Thank you

• Baller

Ditto what @zito said. I'd take 2.

FWIW I've had the opportunity to chat with TW on a couple of occasions by phone. Very nice person, polite in conversation, obviously a very intelligent guy. Even at $60 a pop I'm sure there isn't much profit in building handle guards or he'd be pushing it a lot more. First rate product and the new design looks even more desirable. I've had 3 that I used for several years but they were all made for 12" handles, since I've moved to a 13" I need new ones. Well worth what they cost in my experience.

• Baller
Number of years ago I designed and built HDPE fin protectors. Quite a demand initially then tapered off. Each took a lot of time to make, time which was in addition to my real job. No real profit @ $30 a pop so I got out of it. Maybe TW went the same direction.