2015 Boat Show Reports

ToddL

• Baller

@Than_Bogan‌,

Every summer growing up in the 80's we would spend 3 weeks camping at the lake - slalom, tricks, kneeboarding, barefoot - and mille borne every night!

Our cards looked quite different from those though... I'd have never recognized it from those.

Good memories!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

@wish: Our Club MC about 1975 or 1976 was around $7,000. We would take a bank loan out on

it, pay the interest over a ski season of some 6 months, and sell the boat. Great deal, as the

loan just cost us a few hundred. Promo boat, but we only had to go to a couple events off-site

with it, as we'd have 4 or so tournaments at our site in NH. Skied from ice-out mid-April to

into maybe Octobrrr.

So: factor of 10+ in 40 years. That would be about 6% a year average, if I have my math right.

• Baller

I hate to hijack this interesting thread - but it is so esoteric and poignant a reference that I can't resist. @bbirlew - you are right on that Mille Bourne is a great summer memory and still a great game from that era. I bought a couple of vintage decks on ebay to share with my family and it is a favorite already. @than_bogan, I also don't recognize those cards as part of the original game. Whether they are or not, great reference and prompt for this community! Roullez.

On the actual topic of this thread - promo boats are the way to go.

• Baller
I'm anxious to see if the Minneapolis boat show even has a ski boat in the lineup this year? I refer to our boat show as the pontoon show. Last year they did have a new prostar and a txi but that was about it. Other than a few wake and fishing boats, all pontoons. I'll report out what I see. I'm still in the market for a well broken in 200 if anybody has a line on one. Pm me.

• Baller

Looking at my post above, and correcting for inflation, $7000 back in 1975 would be about

$31,000 today. See the Inflation Calculator: http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Today's new ski boats cost twice that and more. Of course, current boats have plenty of

improvements and conveniences.

Hmm...Horton or other's project: find a '75 MC that still runs and is in OK shape, and review it.

Probably an impossibility or nearly so, unless you find a pack rat oldtime skier. Although,

CC brings out their 1963(?) model at each Masters. A friend has a '63 Nautique that I've skied

behind and driven. Currently getting some fixit done; should be ready for Summer 2015 in NH.

• Baller
I really don't think the boat mfg care about 3 event boat sales. They'd just as soon quit them altogether and make their money on the big wake sport boats. I know the promo guys get a decent discount, but at what point do the promo guys get priced out of the market? Make no mistake, a lot of them will. When that happens there goes the decent deals the rest of us get on year old promos and there goes the sport. This has been said before, so I'm no original thinker on this, but the price of boats may just be the death of our sport. Some ponder on the decrease in AWSA members, but just try to convince a potential new skier that he needs a 60k+ boat to practice with and out he goes. Oh I know many of you will he doesn't need a new boat, buts it's all relative. Tell him he can get into the sport with a 10 year old boat for 30k and you still scare him off.

• Baller

@swc5150‌ It was for a brand new (ordered) '15 OB 200 with supposed '14 pricing.

I took a picture of it on my phone so I have the numbers handy:

Boat Price 78,865 (SA trailer + Cover as the only options as well as a couple surcharges are in this price such as a waterways preservation fund, etc.)

End of season discount (if I ordered before end of Dec) -7,897.88

Subtotal: 70,967.12

Sales Tax: 5,198

Dealer Freight & Prep: 2,695

Registration & Doc Fees: 595

Final Price: 79,455.12

There it is in black and white! Demz' the facts! 80K out the door like I said. We'll be enjoying our old boats for a few more years, needless to say. 1yr old promo boats seemed to be around 55K and were loaded up with options so that's really the only way to go for all but the very wealthy.

• Baller
Wow, that's a lot of scratch! I was quoted $59k+tax on a '15 200CB base, with cover and Phoenix single axle trailer. To think, my brother ordered out his 2012 200 open bow Team, with cover, heater, jump seat, tandem trailer, etc, and it was $58k out the door! Nice little 38% inflation in 2 years! Seriously, what is going on in this industry?!

• Baller
I just looked at the option costs for the MC. In order to use the boat at my elevation I'd have to add the 6.2. That's a 12,000 up grade. That just kicked the MC MSRP over 100k. Um thanks but no thanks, I'll keep my SN 200 6.0 that cost me about half of that.

• Baller
Looking at the TXI I noticed that their markup from invoice to msrp is about 35% with base price around $42,000. MC markup is around 20% with a base price of $57,000. I would think that that invoice cost of the two boats would be much closer. There certainly isn't $25,000 of increased value in the MC vs the Boo. I wonder why seedealcost doesn't have CC listed. I'd guess their markup from invoice is around 35%-40%.

Dealers are now used to people not blinking at surf boats sales over 100k After closing many of those kind of deals they think customers should be thrilled for getting a boat for far less $$. We the ski boats customers must seem like a pain in the @$$ to a busy boat sales guy making far more money on the big boats.

• Baller
Jughe's, surely your not going to stroke a check on a boat price listed at a boat show. Too get that price where you need to be it would probably take multiple visits to the dealer and some serious hagling. I'm stunned at different people I know that don't understand the fine art of bartering.

@Than_Bogan card is from the Monopoly DEAL game.

Which came out after Hasbro purchased Parker Bros. Mille Bornes is also owned by Hasbro. The things you learn on wiki. Just amazing eh?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e3/Monopoly_Deal.jpg/220px-Monopoly_Deal.jpg

maybe I should add a catch phrase:

"Just Say No, Go CarbonPro"

I'm with @wish, repower when the time comes.

Ya'll can see by my profile that I own a '97 MB Sports. GREAT boat! 17 years and It has the original carpet and upholstery, because it does not need to be replaced.

The original PCM GT40, with too many hours (for most) but still produces excellent times per the aftermarket PP, because it too does not need to be replaced.

Soft wakes, strong pull, starts everytime...

I got 16K tied up in this thing (woah, hold on there) 30, 40, 50...90K? why? ZO? "meh"

SHOWIN' IT OFF

153gtaewwrlt.jpg

ul4ofshw2nde.jpg

• Baller
Absolutely. All the manufacturer's offer incentives and escalators. But those are typically done as line items off the bottom line or as a seperate payment. Honestly, I don't remember what I looked up on the CC. It's pricing didn't stand out as off from what I recall. But I know for sure they were off on the malibu and the MC. Those stood out as thousands off. My believe at the time was that they don't take into account things that are standard and then list them as optional also. And I was comparing the invoice price for the base boat, with no incentives or escalators figured in, against what seedealercost showed as the base boat. So it should have been an accurate comparison.

Took the family to the Austin, TX show. It was a great time. I'm in Atlanta, GA for business so I went to the show there. MC Prostar same options about $5k less.

This time I spent some time in the boat since I had plenty of time. The boat is incredible. I may be in trouble...

• Baller

Went to the Minneapolis boat show last night, plenty to look at especially the wood boats. Ski boat wise, there was a TXI and a Prostar. No Nautique or Centurion ski boats and no Gekko of any kind. I was really surprised at Gekko, I mean the guys who run the company live in MN and the boats are built here.

My wife's comment on the TXI was - why did they go back to the old fashioned carpeting ;) Not sure why anyone is doing non snap out carpet, but it looked odd to me too in a new boat.

Turned out that a guy I used to ski race with works with one of 2 Centurion dealers that was there and when I asked him why no Carbon Pro, he said they don't ever buy one for stock because they were afraid they wouldn't sell it - which was odd because apparently they have had a lot of people ask about them for the last 2 years.

http://oldjeep.com/images/2015BoatShow/WP_20150123_001.jpg

http://oldjeep.com/images/2015BoatShow/WP_20150123_002.jpg

http://oldjeep.com/images/2015BoatShow/WP_20150123_003.jpg

http://oldjeep.com/images/2015BoatShow/WP_20150123_009.jpg

http://oldjeep.com/images/2015BoatShow/WP_20150123_010.jpg

http://oldjeep.com/images/2015BoatShow/WP_20150123_011.jpg

http://oldjeep.com/images/2015BoatShow/WP_20150123_012.jpg

http://oldjeep.com/images/2015BoatShow/WP_20150123_013.jpg

Also had a beer tasting event going on. Small glass to keep and 7 different beers for $15 was a lot better deal than $9 coronas. Liked everything but the Lift Bridge Farm Girl, but I've never met a saison beer that I liked.

http://oldjeep.com/images/2015BoatShow/WP_20150124_001.jpg

Also ordered up another inflatable SUP at the show - Tower. Never heard of them before but the price was right and it was the most ridged inflatable I've ever seen. I was skeptical when the little 100lb girl selling them was standing on it to show how ridged it was but a full sized guy hopped up there with her and it stayed flat.

• Baller

@skibrain‌ definitely a lot of docks, pontoons and fishing boats. But also quite a number of paddle boards and little niche products. The paddle board tank is pretty cool if you need a winter fix. They only run the beer tasting on Friday evening, so that is really the best time to go.

Not much in the way of equipment there (skis, boards) - which I also find surprising since Midwest Mastercraft runs a couple of websites that sell equipment. They had banners up with the URL's but not much in the way of things to touch and see.

• Baller
Vancouver, BC show only had a one DD a 2015 TXi. Not a lot of change from our 2013 except the move to Commander power and they got rid of the one spoke (ugly) steering wheel and went with the same wheel the Prostar has. Pylon is moved forward approx. 1.5" and the motor box about 3" on the 2015.

• Baller
@Dacon62‌ - YUP, I hated that single spoke wheel on my VTX and switched to the newer style wheel that some 2013/14/15 use. Unfortunately when they started using that stupid single spoke, the switched to a splined tilt unit so I had to also swap out the tilt for a keyed one.

• Baller
@oldjeep...funny...had issues with that too. Wanted to swap out the single spoke wheel for the Gussi model but didn't want to pay the $580 that the Malibu dealer wanted for it. So picked one up for $280 from Livorsi Marine. Then found out the cheaper wheel had a 3 way keyed hub instead of the splined hub I needed (didn't know as I had not pulled the wheel off first to check...thought they were all the same). Machined the old splined hub to cold press into the keyed hub and ordered a Malibu Center cap...$270 later. So in the end cost was about the same but what a hassle. Love the new wheel though, it looks bitchin'.

• Baller

For me it was just the livorsi wheel and 100 for a new tilt. Sold the splined tilt for 60 or so and just used the generic chrome center that came with the wheel. The wheel from Malibu would have been keyed too, Livorsi just private labels the same Gucci wheel that Malibu/Mastercraft and others are using.

• Baller

@oldjeep I agree. Wife commented on the Bu carpet right away. Kids enjoyed the free hats.

Did get a pair of hybrid shorts and the wife got some new gloves from Midwest.

Took a bottle of syrup for @MS but he was not working this year.

Was disappointing not to see a Carbon Pro, really wanted to drool. I asked one guy and his response was basically they only have 2 that travel around the country and because they are all custom ordered they don't bring any to the show? Didn't ask the home town dealer (Willeys MArine) why they didn't have one, but I will be stopping in and asking if they will have a demo at their demo day this year.

Was some nice eye candy walking around promoting something...not sure what and no pics when wife and kids are in tow.

• Baller

Yeah @oldjeep they weren't even sure if they were gonna have one at their demo day last year. And I would have had a couple car loads of buds wanting to check it out.

Forgot I did spend some time looking at that Falls Flyer. Mainly the Mile Maker gas can sitting in the front. I have a couple of those sitting around waiting to be redone. Really wanted a closer look at how they did the OEM writting on it. I assumed sticker but couldn't lean over the rope enough to tell.

• Baller

@kstateskier‌

You think the MC seats are hard in the showroom, wait until you drive one over someone else's wake. Kidney bruising ride, which is not uncommon to any PS I suppose. Definitely more suited for a private site than public water.