2015 Boat Show Reports

ToddL

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
@Dacon62 ...I've always wondered what CC and Bu do differently, as they are much smoother over wakes, especially CC. I don't think MC's ride quality has improved since we started running them back in the 80's. With my 41 year old sore body, and being that we ski on public water, there's no way I'd own an MC now.

• Administrators
@xrated there is always a Carbon Pro on my lift. If you are serious about a Centurion come to Bakersfield for a weekend when it is a little warmer.

• Baller
@kstateskier - they had lots of wake boats in Minneapolis, from 2 different dealers. Funny thing is that I looked on Centurions website and they actually have a promo in MN, seems like their dealer would have asked to have it in the show - unless it doesn't work that way or they didn't want to give up the space.

• Baller

5e3qo6fvlcy4.jpg

This MB Sport Boss LS200 owes me $22500.00 AUD purchased in AZ last year and imported back to Australia... My boat before this a 2010 Nautique 200 OB Team edition with every boxed ticked just shy of 70k AUD (actual dealer cost in Australia @ the time..)

The 200 had an incredible ski wake however at under a1/3 the cost the MB does more than 90 percent of what the Nautique can do and NO repayments.

• Baller

For skiers, the boat shows are indeed lean in terms of direct drives. At Gekko we started shipping new 2015 v drive boats just before Christmas and the direct drives more recently. Here's a shot of a new GTR 22 at the St. Cloud, MN show this past weekend. Good news, it's a sold one. Our dealer there also has some new GTS 20s at about $35k. We're hoping that these cool, aggressively priced boats bring out some of those buyers in that sweet spot.

We've been lucky to have a large backlog of orders, so Gekkos have been shipping to markets where we have dealers established per their show schedules. The Minneapolis show simply came too early for our shipping schedule.

At the Salt Lake show 2 weekends ago I counted approximately 60+ v drives on the floor. Lots of them priced at well over $100k+. Sadly, just one direct drive, a used one for about $65k.

Being skiers, we are focused on the DD segment and hope that there is long term growth despite high prices. However, as dealers will tell you, they see less risk in stocking $110k v drives than $65k direct drives.

+ i34twjfg1nmp.jpg

Just got home from the Indianapolis boat show. It's a pretty big show- runs for 9 days. Mastercraft had a nice blue prostar displayed in a high traffic area. Malibu had a TXi hidden in the back. And the Nautique dealer did not bring a 200. Seems kind of strange since Indiana has a decent number of dedicated ski lakes and skiers. Given that we're home for Nate I kind of expected to see some promotion for the sport from the Nautique crowd.

I was at the Grand Rapids boat show this weekend. Really surprised and disappointed that Centurion didn't have a carbon pro there. You would think that they would make more of an effort to show off their DD. Especially since it's the cheapest tournament approved boat. The only DD there was the Prostar.

• Administrators

@msuws

I do not speak for Centurion and am not privy to any inside info.

My assumption is that the cost of a Carbon Pro is lower because of lower margins plus they do not spend a ton of money of marketing. Also 3 event or slalom skiing is a small market so if you are in the market for one of these boats you already know what is available.

If you want to pay for a lot of marketing and pro skier salaries get one of the other boats. If you want a really killer boat for a fair price get a Centurion.

Not sure? Come to Bakersfield. Drive and ski behind my 2015.

@horton I agree with you about the carbon pro being a sweet boat. Centurion has made great boats for a long time. I'm a broke ass collegiate skier right now so I'm not in the market to buy a boat. Just love the chance to see them and ski behind them at tournaments!

• Administrators
@msuws study something that gets you a good job. Theater class and French class will get you chicks the boat you buy with a MBA will get more.