Ice off in New England

slvrbulit

• Supporting Member

Early April. Sometimes get very lucky and mid-March, sometimes (see 2014) get screwed and early May.

Cold as hell at that point. Open water only because even in a drysuit you don't want to be stopping and sitting in the water very often.

Usually install the slalom course in early May. At that point a Real Man can go with a wetsuit. I stay in drysuit until the calendar hits June.

Note: NH, VT, and ME are often still solid when we start in MA.

• Baller
I live near and ski on Lake Iroquois near Burlington, VT. Typically we ski a few times in April and season begins in May. Often the first outing in April the lake still has some ice. Our earliest time out was Saint Patrick’s Day March 17th 2012 during a record warm spell. Our snow and water ski season typically over lap in the spring and are separated by a month in the fall. Every other year or so we find a way too snow and waterski the same day in the spring. Latest ski was December 24th; Lake Iroquois had frozen so we skied on Lake Champlain.

• Baller
Here in eastern CT I was dreaming of an early start this spring, then we spent 8 hrs digging out from the 30" snowfall on Tuesday and are looking at temps in the teens for the next 5 days. There's still hope for an early spring warm up though.

• Baller

Looking at places I/we used to ski in NH, on Google Earth: there are views from about April 14,

2011. Lakes were about 1/2 way iced out in central NH. Still frozen solid in the Sunapee area.

The small pond in that region where we had tournaments 1973--1979 usually was skiable (brrr)

by late April.

Big Lake Winnipesaukee has ice-out records going back to well before water skiing was invented.

In the modern era: March 23, 2012 to May 6,1971.

• Baller
We ski upstate new york finger lakes, mid April to mid November. Learned a lot of cold weather tricks over the years. Don't forget the light bulb for your engine box! BTW ski hacker and haker, not really sure what you mean by hacker class, but I know a bunch of guys running 32s, 35s and some 38s. Let's hear it for upstate!