2014 Connelly Prophecy

Billy_728

I am looking into a new ski for the upcoming season. Currently I am using a 68" HO Monza with a Wiley high wrap front binding. In my search, I ran across the 2014 Connelly Prophecy. I haven't heard much about this ski or seen any in my limited ski circle. But, you can get a pretty good deal on these right now....so its worth asking about I presume. After reading Horton's 2014 review, it sounds enticing. I would like to move to 67" ski, I weigh 155-160 lbs and am 6 feet tall so I figure it would be a good fit. I run 22 and 28 (50/50) and get shots at 32' every once in a while @ 34 mph. I am hoping to put some 32 off runs under the belt this summer and take shots at 35....good to have goals :). I know there are always pros and cons to skis, I just wanted to hear if it would fit my experience level and "fit the bill". For reference, I have skied a 2013 A3 68" and was impressed with its ability to "give" and hold angle. Thanks in advance for any information.

• Baller

I have a 2013 67" Prophecy (Same ski as the '14 model...just orange/grey in color) I'd like to part with. PM me if you are interested. The ski is in excellent condition...I skied less than 10 sets on it at 36mph, and I liked it, but at 210lbs I'm a bit heavy for it...and now I'm skiing 34mph.

I'm actually trying to pick up a 68" Prophecy...anyone?

• Baller_
I had two F1's and three Prophecies. The 2014 Prophecy is the best ski I have ever ridden, although my all time high score was on an F1. I bought a 13 Prophecy after riding a 11 Prophecy, then hating a Goode Nano and struggling with a Mapple 6.0. I replaced it with a 14 Prophecy last spring and the 14 was definitely a better ski than the 13, although it could have been a difference in flex as there is no design difference between the 13 and 14.

Lpskier

I should also note that I am a firm believer in the fact a skier's abilities make up a major portion of the performance of a ski, so I have no grand elusions that a newer ski will take me to shorter lines without working on better form. I have seen far to many skiers on old ski's do well into -38. I would just like to be on something that has no bad tendencies and is backed by a good reputation, so I am not partial to any specific brand. I'd keep the Monza but its seen a lot of use... even before I was riding on it :)

• Baller
I am also at about 155 pounds myself , ski at 34 mph and usually run 32 but rarely get 35. Would definitely go for the 66 Prophecy. Awesome ski. Is my second favorite behind the Vapor that I am currently on. Had a '14 Prophecy when my Vapor arrived. Let a friend test out the Connelly and he chose that over all the new skis he tested. His ability is above mine.

Thank you very much for the information guys! I always noticed the charts, but was told I was fine with what I had by some great skiers...I enjoy hearing different perspectives anyhow. It wasn't until the end of the year I was a told it may be time for a new stick.

• Baller
@Billy_728 I went from an 8 yr old F1, 67" to a 66" Prophecy at the beginning of last season. I weigh 160 and ski at 34 mph. I liked the F1(and have always been on Connellys) but I really like the Prophecy, much faster across the wake and much quicker turns. I have a few more seasons of M5 and last fall I came within a half buoy of tying my PB which I had in M4 on the F1. I'd recommend the 66".

• Baller
@Billy_728 I'm going to throw you a curveball here. Have you ever considered the Carbon V? It sounds like your skiing at 34mph predominantly. The Carbon V was built specifically for tournament level skiing at 34mph. Don't get me wrong, I think you would be really happy on a 67" Prophecy especially if your aspiring to hit 36 soon. Consider this thought; we had a skier testing a Prophecy for a few weeks. He was coming off an F1X (big jump, I know), and he doesn't ever ski at 36. He liked the Prophecy but ultimately thought the tail of the ski sat a little too low at his usual speeds (32 - 34). We got him on the Carbon V and he said he instantly noticed how much better the ski felt on the water. He told me he was laughing in the middle of his run at how well the ski turned through the course.

@connelly_skis_inc: Definitely a curve ball and something to consider.... Thanks again for all of the comments and opinions. I am aiming for 36, but realistically ill probably be at 34 for at least another year. As for the tail sinking, I don't notice much at 34 mph on my 68" Monza ( I know different ski, different story), but at 32 I feel like I am going to sink as soon as I let off a hard pull, which ironically keeps me on the handle :). I do like slowing down in order to "learn" harder passes, so a ski designed to go slower does make sense seeing how I will likely go down to 32 on occasion. I am trying to avoid the ego method and lie to myself by saying I will be at 36 and want only the best ski, when the best ski may be something completely different than I had in mind...gotta love learning something new everyday :) This is why I come here and thanks again for the info!

• Baller

@Billy_728 at your weight you should be able to ski at 32 mph on a 67" ski without a problem. You are going to feel more drag than you will at 34 but there should be plenty of support. My son weighs about 175 and this summer he was running passes at 30 mph starting at 22 off and into 35 to get used to shorter line lengths with plenty of support on a 67" Vapor.

I think the Prophecy would work fine at 67" particularly if you are aspiring to ski 36 mph.

• Administrators

@jjackkrash I would say you for sure want the Prophecy or GT. The Carbon V is a fine ski but the Prophecy is simply a much better ski.

@efw The idea of going as short as possible and running bindings and fin way back is from another era. I would say that is a terrible idea considering what we know today*. On the other hand I would say that a 150 be skier at 36 would want the 65 or the 66. The Connellys ride a little deep so I would say the 66.

(*the world record is held by a 150 pound-ish skier on a 67)

• Baller
I have had some coaches I respect a lot tell me that you should ski the longest ski that you can turn not the shortest one that will support you. It isn't usually and issue for me as I am on the heavier end of the spectrum but was a concern for my son.