Shipping a boat from Buxton Marine

swc5150

• Baller
We just bought an '06 196TE from Buxton Marine this morning:) First off, kudos to Buxton as they are awesome!! I'm blown away at the customer service, and highly recommend them to anyone in the market! Do you guys have any advice on the most cost-effective method to ship it up to WI? I'll try uShip for bids, but Buxton also has a guy who charges $1.35 per mile which seems kind of high?

road trip!- then you can ski it when you're there. If not then be careful with uShip- you'll get some non-legit offers. You might check with the RV dealers and see if you can find somebody hauling RVs from the factories in Northern Indiana- I found a guy to bring me a boat to Indy from Sacramento on his way back to pick up another RV in Elkhart. Having the dealer shrink wrap the boat for shipping was money well spent.

• Baller_

Nice boat. Like the black and gray. Great price, too! I'm assuming the Excalibur engine will be receiving a ZO retrofit.

I think there was some discussion on here about Wayne from uShip as being a great choice to ship the boat.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

I have used multiple shippers, you are getting real good advice on choosing a shipper. Most important to me if the dealer has the availability to shrink wrap the boat. Its worth the money. I keep a Malibu shrink wrap from the factory at all times. That way if I have to ship a boat, I have a shrink wrap. I had a cover come off on one of my boats I shipped. Learned a lesson.

Still have that 14 TXI $42,500. Pics on SIA It needs a new home.

Jeff Lindsey

• Baller

Congrats on the purchase. I recall you have been looking for quite a while.

I know if it were me I would be driving down and picking it up, but I also understand that is not feasible for most. (I like driving and can average 1000 miles a day pretty easy) With regards to the cost per mile you were quoted. That is actually pretty reasonable; $2 or more a mile is not uncommon.

Hauling the bout on the provided trailer vs. on separate trailer is something to inquire about as well. I would prefer that my boat and trailer be put on a separate trailer - should be pretty feasible with a 196. I would also get the whole thing wrapped before it leaves Texas, lots of winter out there!

Congrats again. That's a beautiful boat!

• Baller
I looked into renting a truck and towing. Nobody allows it but all full size vehicles have receivers?? They really get you on a one way rental though. Would have been way cheaper to drive down. I did end up paying 1.25 per mile. Mine was a pontoon out of Florida. For a ski boat up u really ought to road trip it and sneak in a set. Either way congrats!

• Members
Probably not the best advice but I had a buddy that towed a dune buggy one way from California to Michigan. He reserved trucks through a few rental companies at the airport. He went company to company and crawled under the trucks to see which one had a receiver. Budget had a Chevy truck with a trim piece over the receiver. He just removed the trim and installed a hitch. Once he got back he just put the trim back and they were none the wiser.