Double Boot or RTP

Web

• Baller
I've skied double boots forever. Now I might just be getting old, but last season my rear ankle started to bother me when inflecting. I started to loosen the back boot so I could lift my heel more. I see Jason McClintock just switched over to RTP. Nate, Will, TGas, Mapple... all of them prefer RTP. I'm considering the switch, any other double-booters out there who have made the switch care to weigh in? Any that have tried it and went back to the rear boot instead? Thanks.

I tried to switch to an RTP last spring, but I didn't like it. To me, the ski felt different every pass because of the free feel of the RTP. Buy it and try it, if it doesn't work I'm sure you can return it. That's what Performance did for me.

• Baller
@Horton - I may be masking something else, but on wakes and edge change with my back knee dropping down, it seems I don't get the range of motion with my heel locked down. I've been working on stretches and strength this winter, but nervous about straining it again.

• Baller
I run my rear Vector quite loose on the top bungee and its quite easy for me to lift my heal when cruising along. I'm not conscious of it moving when I'm running buoys but I suspect that it might, returning a rear kicker however... I don't think so. If your looking for that little bit of extra flex then I suspect your on the right track (running your rear boot loose) but don't expect to pickup half a pass by making the change to a kicker.

• Baller
I started with a RTP, and I tried a double boot about 20 years ago. I liked the double boot better. I don't tighten the rear as much as the front. I could never go back to a RTP. I just don't feel as secure in the ski. I keep my feet as close together as possible since that gives more freedom of movement.

• Administrators

@Web

on wakes and edge change with my back knee dropping down

Can you expand on this. I do not really understand what you are saying.

• Baller
I am trying to stay connected and not stand up early. Seems I have to absorb more at wakes to keep low. So my back knee bends forward. With a little loss of mobility in the ankle over the years, it feels better to lift the heel.

• Administrators

@Web First of all I think the pros you name like the mobility at the ball.

You picking up your real heel at the wakes sounds like a bad idea to me. I would have to see you ski but it really seems like you are losing both power and balance.

• Baller
I'm sure you are right about wakes.... it seems exiting wakes and setting up for edge change is when I want more flex. I'll loosen that back up and pay some attention to it. Just don't want to over flex the rear ankle because heel is locked down. That hurt me last year.

• Baller

How many of those "RTP" pros are on a release (Reflext, etc.) front binding? I think many who chose a releasable front binding go with RTP out of fears of releasing only 1 foot.

Less frequently seen is the setup with Releasable Front boot and rubber (Wiley's) rear or the r-style Reflex rear.

My point is ask "why" they are on RTP. Is the RTP the goal or is it a consequence of another choice that they made regarding their front binding and advantages they see with that front binding...

• Baller
I had always used a RTP until the end of 2010. I had missed a kick-in or 2 and decided to go with a fairly loose double boot set up. After 2011 and 2012, I reverted back to a RTP because the rear boot seemed to torque my rear foot side hip. There was some pain that I had never had. No more hip pain and just decided to keep kicking in except on very short set up lakes. I can now switch back and forth if necessary.

• Baller

RTP is good for cost reasons and for dock starting. I would love to be able to use one for these reasons.

I would say that having flexibility issues in the back ankle while crossing the wakes means that you are either losing position by collapsing into the ski, or that you are getting your hips back and the upper body forward - or both. Not good...

• Baller

Have ski with doubel boot for 30 year now I have old and bad back and have problems

if the driver go for hard in starts.

Have considered to go back to RTP have test but I dont like when fothel move side to side

without support.

Do any knowes RTP with hel support.

• Baller

@Web I think what you may be feeling is not the inability to lift your heel but more of the restriction to flex your ankle forward enough. Even soft bindings do restrict ankle flex a little and if it's enough to hinder you from flexing forward and staying balanced, it can be a problem. If you don't have a lot of flexibility in your ankle that can also prevent you from weighting your front foot enough which can cause tail riding and waist breaking...

You can look up simple ankle flexibility tests. My ankles have pretty good flexibility but one of my ankles has more resistance than the other so it's harder for me to get that range of motion.

• Baller
@Waternut Yes, that post was from last winter and since then I have really worked on my range of motion on the ankle, and it has helped a lot. I still use the rear boot and leave the cuff a little loose.