Do you think there are times when you want to lift your back heal off the ski?

Horton

• Baller

About 20 yrs ago I went from double high wraps to RTP, LFF. Mostly because deep water starts were much easier on my lower back. It took a little getting used to the RTP but it was well worth the switch. I do find that I lift my heel slightly mostly on my off side turn, seems to help center my weight better. Only had a couple bobbles with getting my foot slid in place when skiing at sites with very short set ups, and only once had my rear foot come out of the RTp when skiing but that was a serious screw up at the buoy and I tried to make a hero turn to save the pass.

*Useless Comment Alert*

When I was younger and skied with an RTP I noticed that I lifted my back heel in consistently in my turns. After I moved to double high wraps this obviously stopped. I’ve skied with some guys that have used things to raise the heel of their rear binding. (This can obviously be dangerous when employing good ole fashioned redneck engineering) Just one more thing that I can tinker with on my ski setup I guess.

• Baller
@Horton; still curious why you are asking this question? Is it because your back foot is flat all the time and a mobile back foot is intriguing, or are you about to hit us all with a revolitionary tip or future product we all need? Very curious

• Administrators

@Texas6 Well this was a poorly thought out thread but it has turned out to be interesting anyway.

I think almost everyone moves around a little and some lift a bit before the ball.

I also think a some skiers think it is ok to lift under load and I think generally those skies are missguided.

• Baller
I voted Yes on this and at the end of the season in 2012 found an old HO RTP in a box of stuff and mounted it on my ski and skiied around- given a little more time on the water I would go there. There's a good slow motion video of Nate at Shortline Lake and he distinctly lifts his rear heel, not to mention many of the gals. And then the added bonus for us Men6 + class of folks is ease of getting out out of the water!

• Baller

I'd been following this thread and found it to be a very interesting topic/discussion. Though now I'm just wondering if I'm missing some things, as I saw a couple posts have disappeared. @Horton…what gives?

Edit…Disregard…I got this confused with the "Subjectivity of Technique…" thread. Sorry. Good discussion in both!

• Baller
I'll admit it, I'm a heel lifter. I keep both heels planted until second wakes and edge change, then lift up a bit. Helps me keep my knees flexing on edge change and then move forward at the ball. I run double boots, cinch the rear toe down well and leave the rear cuff loose. Gives me a solid toe hold and enough freedom on the heel, but also the security of the lateral support.

I use an insert in my rear boot to lift my rear heel by a few millimetres. When I moved to double Vapor bindings I couldn’t get the bend in my ankle to move my back knee forward. A few mill in the heel made a big difference.

I also tend to stand on my toes a little during the gate-glide. As soon as I’m under load both feet become firmly planted. No idea what I do at the buoy.

• Baller

I don't think about what my feet are doing while I ski I just stand on the ski. Being a RTP guy I am sure my back foot moves around a little but I can't see wanting it to come up under load. I could see it coming up a little bit into the ball if you are getting forward on the ski but I don't believe that mine does.

If I have to think about this and whether or not I breathe when I ski I might not ever run another pass.